Kawajiri vs Thompson question

In the fight, Kawajiri had an interesting low mount several times in which he figure foured his legs around the thighs of Nick Thompson. It seems like an interesting concept but perhaps not the most secure, as Thompson was able to move his hips still and recompose guard.<br /><br />As a mere white belt, I am interested in discussing what the not so apparent pros and cons of triangling your opponents legs while in a low mount. Is it a fundamentally unsound idea, or useful for controlling a thrashing person before working to establish a higher mount?

EDIT: I am apparently a white belt at reading the forums to see if anyone has posted a thread about the same subject too, my apologies.

Its not very effective in straight jiu jitsu because it just delays the inevitable which is getting put back in guard. A better alternative when your opponent does that is to switch to S mount or knee on belly. Having said that, it is a technique that some teach to slowly work your way up to a solid mount.

CT87 - In the fight, Kawajiri had an interesting low mount several times in which he figure foured his legs around the thighs of Nick Thompson. It seems like an interesting concept but perhaps not the most secure, as Thompson was able to move his hips still and recompose guard.<br /><br />As a mere white belt, I am interested in discussing what the not so apparent pros and cons of triangling your opponents legs while in a low mount. Is it a fundamentally unsound idea, or useful for controlling a thrashing person before working to establish a higher mount?

EDIT: I am apparently a white belt at reading the forums to see if anyone has posted a thread about the same subject too, my apologies.

Josh Thomson, not Nick Thompson.

Same mount that Aoki used against Aurelio (only his seemed a lot more secure).