KB vs. MT: The fight that changed history

de braco - 
Jack Skellington - 
de braco - 

Didn't they end up in the same hospital room that night

No that was Rocky & Creed.

^^Oh god! LOLOLOLOLOLOL! HAHA. That's a good one! LOLOL

I loved that read on BB... here's the full interview - quite the epic read.

subd

I'm going to disagree with thread title

the fights that changed history were the Kyokushin Karate (I'm being as unbiased as I can) vs. Muay Thai at Lumpinee Stadium, Thailand in 1964

as mentioned earlier, pioneer of Dutch Kickboxing Kenji Kurosaki (Japan, Kyokushin), lost his match to Rawee Dechachai (Muay Thai) by elbow strike KO

http://youtu.be/Xtqxrw1a_HE

the other Japanese Karateka fared better against their Thai opponents:

Akio Fujihira (Kyokushin) KO'd Huafai Lukcontai (Muay Thai),via punches

http://youtu.be/9zpMAVcvH5Q

and Tadashi Nakamura (Kyokushin) KO'd Tan Charan (Muay Thai) via kick

(I haven't been able to find video of this fight - if someone can help, it sure would be appreciated)

Kurosaki was not even suppose to fight, he was the trainer but one fighter got sick so Kurosaki stepped up to fight with no notice or training otherwise Kyokushin might have went 3-0.

yeah I've heard that too

KyokushinCatch - I'm going to disagree with thread title

the fights that changed history were the Kyokushin Karate (I'm being as unbiased as I can) vs. Muay Thai at Lumpinee Stadium, Thailand in 1964

as mentioned earlier, pioneer of Dutch Kickboxing Kenji Kurosaki (Japan, Kyokushin), lost his match to Rawee Dechachai (Muay Thai) by elbow strike KO

(I haven't been able to find video of this fight - if someone can help, it sure would be appreciated)

There were several fights that "changed history."

The KK fights that gave birth to Japanese KB / Dutch KB are great. As is this one. Rick and Duke coached against each other for Pettis and Benson 1 and 2. How crazy is that? 

So while it may not be the fight that changed history for you, it was for a lot of people, as was Ramon's entrance into Lumpinee. 

Bendo was under rick roufus back then?

Still think the japanese and Kyokushin roots are pretty under known on the board in general in terms of KB history

Wasa-B - Bendo was under rick roufus back then?

Still think the japanese and Kyokushin roots are pretty under known on the board in general in terms of KB history

hahah yeah. he still might be? I'm not 100% sure. 

The history or KB / MT and it's connections to MMA is actually so crazy rich... can't wait to uncover and tell the stories through more tributes / breakdowns

Heh definitely a big win for KK that night... and just saw ur name, ofc that's the fights that changed history for you ;)

D241 - 

I really enjoyed that technical breakdown of Duke Roufus' striking on page 4.  Great stuff all around OP.  Great contributions in this thread.

Cheers my man. Technical masters deserve technical breakdowns, no matter how long they take to do :)

LawrenceKenshin - 
de braco - 
Jack Skellington - 
de braco - 

Didn't they end up in the same hospital room that night

No that was Rocky & Creed.

^^Oh god! LOLOLOLOLOLOL! HAHA. That's a good one! LOLOL

I loved that read on BB... here's the full interview - quite the epic read.

^ When searching google books, after you find what you're looking for, back out to the main archive and reopen and your link won't have every word you used to search highlighted in yellow

^ VU.

69stang - Check out Manson Gibson VS Kiatsongrit for an American beating a Thai, twice, in that era.
Kiatsongrit also fought full contact Karate in Japan in the pre-cursor to what became K1. He was fighting heavy weights. I think it was called Seido Kai Kan from memory. I think Maurice Smith might have fought in it too.

It was a seidokaikan open tournament. 1990 or 1991.

Kiatsongrit defeated a japanese tkd guy, and then lost to Andy Hug in the second fight.

In Phone Post 3.0

Wasa-B - 
69stang - Check out Manson Gibson VS Kiatsongrit for an American beating a Thai, twice, in that era.
Kiatsongrit also fought full contact Karate in Japan in the pre-cursor to what became K1. He was fighting heavy weights. I think it was called Seido Kai Kan from memory. I think Maurice Smith might have fought in it too.

IIRC, Seido is an offshoot of Kyokushin which still had no punching to the head? Andy Hug came from Seido i think

They are bareknuckle with no punches to the head initially. In later extension rounds they put on gloves and allow headpunches too.

Andy Hug originated in kyokushin, but switched to seidokaikan 1990 after losing in the kyokushin world tournament final vs Francisco Filho in 1987. He left kyokushin because the organization had a ban against its members fighting as pro-fighters.

Great thread Phone Post 3.0

IwonAllFiveRounds209What - 

"Low kicks never finished a fight."

-Cecil Peoples

Interesting that he is one of Peter Cunningham coaches and heroes. 

I love Kyukoshin, I think its a great art.

There is a whole bunch of BS around what they achieved though. Fighting black kings pretty much documents this lol. China's best kung fu fighters. Thailands best kick boxer etc.

The Japanese fighters as I understand fought is a small stadium against underweight fighters. They didn't fight lumpinee champions in lumpinee.

Don't get me wrong, its a very strong its not a criticism of the art itself, rather the marketing machine. With due respect to Mas Oyama, watching the videos of his feats nowadays put them more into light.

Oyama was a pro wrestler, so you definitely have to take alot of his bull chopping stunts with a grain a salt.  That doesn't have anything to do with what the fighters he produced accomplished. The dutch kickboxing lineage traces directly back to kyokushin, kyokushin also produced the first non thai champion in thailand.  So you're saying the 3 who went to lumpinee for their first ever fight under thai rules should have fought the lumpinee champion?

No Im saying I doubt it was at Lumpinee. The Thai government is way too proud to let japanese win like that. The only way they could pull that off is going to a local arena and doing it low key. Remember that this is the same country that banned thais fighting outside thailand for a while so they couldn't lose their rep to works./