KB vs. MT: The fight that changed history

impressed with how mature 18-year-old Duke was. he was upset and probably angry but he was calm about it.

great vid with awesome analysis.

No disrespect to any of the old American style kick boxers but there was always something clinical inside of me that liked to see them get worked with leg kicks. To see a flashy style get defeated by simplicity.

I also remember seeing some modified rules bouts in those days that allowed clinching but no knees. Inside leg kicks were allowed. It was an awkward looking clinch to say the least

That was pretty fucking fantastic! I am really glad I watched that.

Great viewing. Absolute heart and pride from Roufus surviving as long as he did, must have been horrifying.

And how his legs would have felt in the days and weeks after makes me cringe.

Carnage. Phone Post 3.0

I found that on VHS at a swap meet in the 90's 

I don't trane and don't know the history of this fight. Can someone fill me in on the major differences between AKB and MT back then Phone Post 3.0

Mr Sizzzz - I don't trane and don't know the history of this fight. Can someone fill me in on the major differences between AKB and MT back then Phone Post 3.0
Orgs like PKA didn't allow leg kicks and required like. 8 kicks above the waist a round. (I think I'm remembering this right?)

I think WKA had multiple rulesets. I think Oriental Rules allowed leg kicks but no elbows? Phone Post 3.0

Guys today can't survive kicks like that even after having their legs be conditioned for it from training Muay Thai, and knowing how to check. Roufus didn't even know how to check a single one, he just took full on monster kicks one after another. That's amazing to me. Phone Post 3.0

All the "that'd"s in the intro killed me lol

Wasa-B - 
69stang - Check out Manson Gibson VS Kiatsongrit for an American beating a Thai, twice, in that era.
Kiatsongrit also fought full contact Karate in Japan in the pre-cursor to what became K1. He was fighting heavy weights. I think it was called Seido Kai Kan from memory. I think Maurice Smith might have fought in it too.

IIRC, Seido is an offshoot of Kyokushin which still had no punching to the head? Andy Hug came from Seido i think

Hug came from Kyokushin, he changed affliation when he started fighting K-1. The PKA ruined the american kickboxing scene by tailoring the rules to exclude thais(no leg kicks,throws,knees) and boxers(8 kick minimum), leaving us with the abortion they called full contact karate that was incapable of competition with the rest of the world. The Andy Hug vs Mike Labree is another good example of what happens to full contact karate when confronted by leg kicks

Later Phone Post 3.0

What year was that in?

In Phone Post 3.0

great video, it funny i feel like most of the roufus guys now are all good leg kickers also

cool video.  cool history of part of the sport, too.

Great video, good to see duke man up and accept he was wrong and apply it into his own style. Phone Post 3.0

Great fight for the history of kickboxing/muay thai, thanks for posting. lol at his corners after speech, "he won from talentless low kicks". Wow have things changed.

In Phone Post 3.0

Great video. Phone Post 3.0