de braco - 

Didn't they end up in the same hospital room that night

No that was Rocky & Creed.

Haha, or maybe Jones and Gus?

Paramount Donkey - Subbed for when I'm off work Phone Post 3.0

Hope you like it :)

House Boru - damn that was a stripe'n!!

baseball bat style

672 - Golden Era of KB Sugar Foot Cunningham,Benny the Jet,Roufas Bros, fought Thai fighters. Their were not to many Americans stepping into low kicks comp!True Pioneers!

Just getting around to studying Cunningham... amazing. His bouts with Sagat were unbelievable. Def gonna be a breakdown soon.

Man those kicks were brutal.  Awesome vid.

Jack Skellington - 
de braco - 

^^Oh god! LOLOLOLOLOLOL! HAHA. That's a good one! LOLOL

In 4 later Phone Post 3.0

Wasa-B - If American KB did not have leg kicking until after this, what about Japanese KB since it was largely derived from Kyokushin which had leg kicks, correct?

62' or 63' Kyokushin went to Thailand and out of 3 fights, won 2. The head instrutor for Kyokushin and Jon Blumings instructor, Kurosaki was the only Kyokushin guy to lose. Kurosaki later founded Meijiro gym and produced the first non thai champion in Thailand and a whole shitload of Dutch killers.

de braco - 
Wasa-B - If American KB did not have leg kicking until after this, what about Japanese KB since it was largely derived from Kyokushin which had leg kicks, correct?

62' or 63' Kyokushin went to Thailand and out of 3 fights, won 2. The head instrutor for Kyokushin and Jon Blumings instructor, Kurosaki was the only Kyokushin guy to lose. Kurosaki later founded Meijiro gym and produced the first non thai champion in Thailand and a whole shitload of Dutch killers.

Toshio Fujiwara, the first foreigner stadium champion... took another 23 years to repeat. Gonna love breaking him down soon.

Amsterdam Meijiro... Jan pas ;)... Vos gym... love me history!

Japanese KB was basically MT back in the days, but with deep KK / karate influence. 

I really enjoyed that technical breakdown of Duke Roufus' striking on page 4.  Great stuff all around OP.  Great contributions in this thread.

Japanese Kickboxing came from those three kyokushin guys and was always closer to the K1 style than traditional muay thai with throws etc

Bear in mind the Americans wouldn't fight full Thai rules, they beat a bunch of Thais in kickboxing rules with no clinch and knees...never mind elbows. There is a great vid out there of Benny the Jet fighting a Thai with clinch...well his wife is crying in the audience. They called it a no contest.

I felt a bit sorry for the American stars, Don the Dragon had a similar experience too, until I saw all the poor underweight Thais the Americans were bringing in to let people like Benny beat up under kickboxing rules. Until MMA came along, Thai rules were the Wild West of combat...people talked about it, people fought washed up small Thais but no one except the Dutch stars actually tried their hand at it legitimately Phone Post 3.0

No, they fought them under WKA rules, which for the most part are japanese kickboxing rules, which is where the Dutch came from(Kurosaki). I knew of an American who was fighting in thailand in the early seventies and was ranked #10 at rajadamnern stadium, and he was far from the only farang fighting full on muay thai.

de braco - 
Jack Skellington - 
de braco - 

^^Oh god! LOLOLOLOLOLOL! HAHA. That's a good one! LOLOL

I loved that read on BB... here's the full interview - quite the epic read.

subd

I'm going to disagree with thread title

the fights that changed history were the Kyokushin Karate (I'm being as unbiased as I can) vs. Muay Thai at Lumpinee Stadium, Thailand in 1964

as mentioned earlier, pioneer of Dutch Kickboxing Kenji Kurosaki (Japan, Kyokushin), lost his match to Rawee Dechachai (Muay Thai) by elbow strike KO

http://youtu.be/Xtqxrw1a_HE

the other Japanese Karateka fared better against their Thai opponents:

Akio Fujihira (Kyokushin) KO'd Huafai Lukcontai (Muay Thai),via punches

http://youtu.be/9zpMAVcvH5Q

and Tadashi Nakamura (Kyokushin) KO'd Tan Charan (Muay Thai) via kick

(I haven't been able to find video of this fight - if someone can help, it sure would be appreciated)

Kurosaki was not even suppose to fight, he was the trainer but one fighter got sick so Kurosaki stepped up to fight with no notice or training otherwise Kyokushin might have went 3-0.

yeah I've heard that too