Keeping son in kindergarten for 2nd year...

Do I send him to the kindergarten graduation?

He is a 6-year old (April b-day). I am sure all of the kids are talking about graduation and they are all making their preparations. The teacher has told us that some parents who hold their kids back an extra year bring them and some don't. Keep in mind it is more of a celebration for the kids and not some official ceremony. What do OG?

FTR his academics are great. We are holding him back as his teacher thinks his maturity level isn't where it needs to be and she thinks if he stays back a year it could benefit him greatly. She said she could go either way on moving him forward or holding him back. We decided to hold him back as we think it will benefit him in the long run.

So OG'er parents, do we send the guy to his kindergarten graduation to be with his friends or have him not attend?

I was sent to pre first (same thing).

I found that I was bigger, stronger and faster than most kids on an academic level due to the redshirt year. Phone Post 3.0

Crap shoot man. Was recommended my son be held back in 2nd grade due to reading. Which was bullshit because he read fine. We complied and in the end it benefited him. The downside was moving on with his buddies. They make more friends though. Do what YOU as parents think is best. Phone Post 3.0

Don't hold him back. The kids will be ruthless to him. Phone Post 3.0

Shit be nice if I could read properly. Sorry its early. May bum him out a bit getting to watch his friends move on. Again, use your best parental judgement. Phone Post 3.0

How mature is a damn 6 year old supposed to be? Phone Post 3.0

We are definitely holding him back. It is best to hold them back in kindergarten. If we let him go forward and it turns out he needs to be held back at another grade it is much more detrimental. Basically if you are going to hold a kid back kindergarten is the place to do it.

Let him celebrate bro. Phone Post 3.0

Kids mature? Pfft if he's doing good academically don't hold him back. These are the same fuck head teachers who suggest taking adhd meds. She's a teacher not a psychologist. Your son will be confused and hurt he isn't moving along with his friends Phone Post 3.0

Phuckles - We are definitely holding him back. It is best to hold them back in kindergarten. If we let him go forward and it turns out he needs to be held back at another grade it is much more detrimental. Basically if you are going to hold a kid back kindergarten is the place to do it.
Totally didn't see kindergarten. I was thinking 3rd grade :p Phone Post 3.0

Yes if his academics are fine then let him move ahead.

He'll keep up with the schoolwork and will figure out how to engage with people eventually.

Teachers are routinely telling parents their kids have ADHD, dyslexia etc when they are not qualified to do so.

Let him go. Phone Post 3.0

Better hope he doesn't hold it against you. If the kid is only being held back because of his maturity level that's not a problem. Do you think having him repeat a grade that he academically passed is going to help his maturity level? Probably not, he'd a kid if he didn't learn it the first time through and failed I could understand. Maybe the teacher wants to sleep with him and is waiting for another year to get her rapey rape on. Phone Post 3.0

Start over with a whole new kid. This one is a lost cause.
Hand him over to the State and let them worry about it.

BTW, are you taking this Teachers word as gospel, or are you seeking further counsel? Because the kid is 6 for phucks sake. His maturity level is not up to snuff? HE'S FUCKING SIX YEARS OLD!
Send him to summer camp 2-3 times a week, he'll 'mature-up' with the others.

2 of my best friends got held back in kindergarten so they would be better at sports. Lol Phone Post 3.0

Lol@holding back. Bunch of bullshit.

I think my mother was told to consider the option, she declined. 1st grade I was kicking everyone's ass academically, lol but still getting unsatisfactory ratings for conduct. Phone Post 3.0

Folks, this is not a discussion on whether to hold him back or not. He is being held back, the decision has been made.

The maturity level thing is relative. He is not expected to act like an adult at school. His "maturity level" is not what is expected of a child his age. This is not some strange thing to have happen btw. Sometimes kids come into kindergarten with the maturity level of a 1st grader, sometimes they are at a preschool level, and sometimes they are borderline like my son.

Holding him back can only benefit him. Next year he will be a leader in the classroom. He will not only be a leader to the other children but will get another year of learning the basics of reading and math and everything else they learn. None of this is a bad thing. He goes to a core knowledge charter school. Core knowledge (do not confuse this with common core) is extremely demanding of children and if we let him move forward he could experience issues later on that could have avoided.

Again, we have put a lot of thought into this with his teachers, his doctor, and even with his preschool teachers to get as many opinions as possible. Basically, we are going to play it safe and hold him back and give him the best chance possible. The rewards highly outweigh any potential negative effects. Sending him forward when he isn't ready would be the gamble, not the other way around.

The decision has been made and we are holding him back. My question, do we send him to kindergarten graduation? It is our choice. He is at the age where we just kind of send him back to kindergarten and don't make a big deal of it. I don't see the issue with letting him celebrate with the other kids. Technically he did graduate, we are making the choice to have him return to kindergarten for a second year.

Not to be a dick (But i'm going to be a dick anyway lol) but keeping a kid back who has just turned 6 for maturity is pretty fucking stupid. They're 6. You can't expect him to be going to school in a mini suit, making sure he has all the things he needs for school in a nice neat pile and to be quiet at all times. He's 6. He'll learn as time goes on

Also sending him to the graduation would be the ultimate fuck you to him. Hey go say bye to all your friends who are going to 1st grade while we keep you here is what you're pretty much saying

Phuckles - Folks, this is not a discussion on whether to hold him back or not. He is being held back, the decision has been made.

The maturity level thing is relative. He is not expected to act like an adult at school. His "maturity level" is not what is expected of a child his age. This is not some strange thing to have happen btw. Sometimes kids come into kindergarten with the maturity level of a 1st grader, sometimes they are at a preschool level, and sometimes they are borderline like my son.

Holding him back can only benefit him. Next year he will be a leader in the classroom. He will not only be a leader to the other children but will get another year of learning the basics of reading and math and everything else they learn. None of this is a bad thing. He goes to a core knowledge charter school. Core knowledge (do not confuse this with common core) is extremely demanding of children and if we let him move forward he could experience issues later on that could have avoided.

Again, we have put a lot of thought into this with his teachers, his doctor, and even with his preschool teachers to get as many opinions as possible. Basically, we are going to play it safe and hold him back and give him the best chance possible. The rewards highly outweigh any potential negative effects. Sending him forward when he isn't ready would be the gamble, not the other way around.

The decision has been made and we are holding him back. My question, do we send him to kindergarten graduation? It is our choice. He is at the age where we just kind of send him back to kindergarten and don't make a big deal of it. I don't see the issue with letting him celebrate with the other kids. Technically he did graduate, we are making the choice to have him return to kindergarten for a second year.
Then don't send him to graduation. You are lucky you aren't black. Phone Post 3.0

RJJH - 

sorry Phuckles, but honestly, you and your wife are pretty fucking dumb.

what are you going to tell your son? the truth?

"sorry, you're smart, but you just arent socially acceptable to everyone", and not only tell him that, but make it known to his entire world ie. school friends and that you agree with it!

or are you going to lie to him?

"you failed son, you just werent smart enough". so you make him second guess his great marks, which will make him have more social problems.

do you honestly think your kid is going to benifit from the same finger painting curriculum as the previous year???

Really?

Keep in mind that you don't have all of the facts and are talking out of your ass. This thread is not asking the OG to make a huge decision on my sons education. We take this very seriously and after speaking with his teachers, the principal, his preschool teachers, and his pediatrician we came to this decision. This decision was not made overnight, we have been tracking his progress all year long and when his teacher approached us about her concerns months ago we took them very seriously.

The decision has been made and it has been made with the help of professionals in the field. The more we learned the easier the decision was to make.

This thread was not meant to be a debate on my son being held back, it is happening, period. The question is more related to what you bring up in your uneducated and assholish post. Do we send him to graduation? What message does that send?

FTR I think it is harmless. He is at an age where he just kind of returns to school the next year and we field his questions as they come.