Ken Shamrock vs Brian Fury Johnston

Flashback to one of the best tournaments ever, UU 96. Big fan of both guys, Johnston was a beast back in the day. It's amazing the difference between Shamrock then and Shamrock this decade. Dude was a freaking monster.

Yes, Ken was a fucking beast!

In the 90's, Ken really was one of the worlds most dangerous men.

He was the favorite in that tournament IMO.

He would have handled Frye at that time, and easily subbed Tank. IMO

Everything is relative. Ken should get more respect on here. This was a different era, and Ken was at the top of the heap.

They would have been great fights for sure.

That was great.  I remember those old fights better than the new ones.

onepunchJD - He would have handled Frye at that time, and easily subbed Tank. IMO

lol

DonFrye_Fan - 
onepunchJD - He would have handled Frye at that time, and easily subbed Tank. IMO

lol

LOL? Whats to LOL at?

Lets see, Frye had a hard time with Ken when they faught in Pride. By all rights, that fight should have been a draw. Frye left the ring with 2 broken legs.

Frye in 1996 was much smaller than the Frye that fought Ken in Pride. When they fought in Pride, Frye was bigger than Ken. Not the case in '96. Also, in 1996 Ken was in his physical prime.

Ken would have overpowered Don before submitting him. And I'm a HUGE Don Frye fan!

As far as Tank. He lost to almost every top fighter he ever fought. Ken would have subbed him quick. Sure, Tank could land the big haymaker, but you can say that about any Tank fight. The dude hits hard.

Considering Tank got subbed by Frye/Kimo, both of whom are hardly known for submission skills.....

I really don't see how it's so hard to believe that Ken could have subbed him.

Over 80% of Shamrock's wins are via sub, which is a pretty damn sweet stat.

Hel13torm -  Considering Tank got subbed by Frye/Kimo, both of whom are hardly known for submission skills.....
I really don't see how it's so hard to believe that Ken could have subbed him.

Over 80% of Shamrock's wins are via sub, which is a pretty damn sweet stat.

From 1993 - 1996 Ken Shamrock's record was 24 wins 5 losses and 2 draws with 22 wins by submission.

Thats 31 fights in less than 4 years.

PrideGP is The GAME - That version of Ken would've beat any version of Tito IMO. He was injury free and fast. That takedown was impressive.

I agree. That takedown was lightning quick. Ken's wrestling was very underrated.

onepunchJD - 
DonFrye_Fan - 

lol

LOL? Whats to LOL at?

It's your opinion. I disagree.

The Pride Frye was nowhere near as good as the UFC Frye. He was old, roided out, and slow, more of a pro wrestler than fighter by that time. The lean, mean UFC version of Frye would have destroyed Ken.

Anek - The Pride Frye was nowhere near as good as the UFC Frye. He was old, roided out, and slow, more of a pro wrestler than fighter by that time. The lean, mean UFC version of Frye would have destroyed Ken.

In 1996 Ken had close to 30 lbs on Don. Ken also had a hard chin and was pretty good at getting inside while avoiding strikes (see his fights with Rutten and Mo Smith). I think it's a competitive matchup for sure but ultimately I don't think Don had an answer for Ken's explosive power and strength. This combined with a big weight disadvantage would make it real tough for Don back then. I think Ken would come out on top.

too bad he broke his hand that was a crazy show, we need some sort of tournament now, even if it isnt on the same night just for the sheer spectacle of it!

Brian Johnson never impressed me much ....

Frye would  have beat Shamrock at any point of his career.

Jack Skellington -  Brian Johnson never impressed me much ....

Johnston didn't impress you in the Don Frye fight? He impressed me, he was getting the better of Don for a little bit. He hit Don with some real good punches and knees.

according to frye, ken broke both his ankles.

i think most fighters woulda tapped