Ken Shamrock

Is there anyone better in MMA at rewriting history than this guy??  Watched those videos interviewing Pat M. Lead me to videos by Hannibal. 

listening to Ken talk about the misjustices in everyone of his loses is amazing.  Made claim after claim as if video is not an option. 

1 Like

Sure had a lot of excuses for his first loss to Royce.

Made it sound like Royce was on his deathbed in his second fight too (even before he scored his one punch standing).  Him talking about Severn is just as bad. 

Ken Glamrock

It did look like Royce kicked him in the balls in Bellator, which was a foul.

1 Like

not going to disagree with you. i do think it was deserved though

kungfugrip - 

Is there anyone better in MMA at rewriting history than this guy??  Watched those videos interviewing Pat M. Lead me to videos by Hannibal. 

listening to Ken talk about the misjustices in everyone of his loses is amazing.  Made claim after claim as if video is not an option. 

Aww man, it can be hard listening to Kens interviews… He has different excuses in every interview for his Royce losses…he’d look much better if he was honest and called it like it was

An even bigger excuse maker from the old school is Oleg Taktarov… I was going to quote his old FSN interviews where he gives very long winded excuses for why he lost to Renzo, Ruas and Severn… I really thought lesser of Oleg after hearing him talk about his last losses

He did have some bad luck and some bullshit happen to him.

He also had some weird kind of anomalies throughout his career.

And yes, he did bring some of the stuff on himself.

That said, Ken beat Royce down in the overtime of the second fight. It was more than just a punch. There was G&P from high in the guard. Royce had nothing for him at that point.

The Dance in Detroit with Severn was a farce.

Should have been ruled a no contest for both guys.

But between Shamrock, Severn, and The UFC – Ken was probably least to blame for that debacle.

It certainly shouldn’t be a “win” for Severn, or a “loss” for Ken.

kungfugrip - not going to disagree with you. i do think it was deserved though

Why did Ken deserve to be fouled?

ons ear - 
kungfugrip - 

Aww man, it can be hard listening to Kens interviews… He has different excuses in every interview for his Royce losses…he’d look much better if he was honest and called it like it was

An even bigger excuse maker from the old school is Oleg Taktarov… I was going to quote his old FSN interviews where he gives very long winded excuses for why he lost to Renzo, Ruas and Severn… I really thought lesser of Oleg after hearing him talk about his last losses

His interview right after the first Royce fight was respectful. He seemed to get more salty as the years went by.

The Gracie’s never seemed to give him much credit either though… so it cuts both ways.

Ken Shamrock is The godfather of MMA.

During the NHB days it was about which TMA $tyle was best. Ken, in a seemingly dominant postion was subbed by Royce via gi choke at UFC 1.

In their rematch, Royce with an impressive win steak of 11-0 all by submission (10 of which despite Severn, being around 5 minutes or less), Ken effectively neutralizes the perceived unstoppable GJJ in a 35 minute test of skill.

While not as glamorous a display as we were accustomed to at the time, Ken through hard work and preparation showed an understanding that there was an answer to everything, and that it wasn’t always pure brute strength, but pure strength of technique, while doing more damage in Royce’s guard (where Royce was most dangerous).

Make no mistake about it… This was a Gracie Challenge. Ken, despite not finishing Royce was the overall Victor.

Ken is in fact the godfather of MMA.

There's a lot of different fighter personalities in MMA.  The athletes who gameplan decisions just about ruin it.  On the other end of the spectrum are the entertainers, and Shammy is one of the originals.  When he talks, keep it in the back of your mind that he's an entertainer first.  I don't mean this in a sleazy way, but he's always trying to sell the next gig.

jgiveshead - 

There's a lot of different fighter personalities in MMA.  The athletes who gameplan decisions just about ruin it.  On the other end of the spectrum are the entertainers, and Shammy is one of the originals.  When he talks, keep it in the back of your mind that he's an entertainer first.  I don't mean this in a sleazy way, but he's always trying to sell the next gig.

You’re right. No one in MMA history has ever looked more glamorous in a purple cape.

Another win

Royalty.

His younger brother Frank became the legend and arguably the first true mixed martial artist under Ken’s tutelage.

Upperfaggot - Ken Shamrock is The godfather of MMA.

During the NHB days it was about which TMA $tyle was best. Ken, in a seemingly dominant postion was subbed by Royce via gi choke at UFC 1.

In their rematch, Royce with an impressive win steak of 11-0 all by submission (10 of which despite Severn, being around 5 minutes or less), Ken effectively neutralizes the perceived unstoppable GJJ in a 35 minute test of skill.

While not as glamorous a display as we were accustomed to at the time, Ken through hard work and preparation showed an understanding that there was an answer to everything, and that it wasn’t always pure brute strength, but pure strength of technique, while doing more damage in Royce’s guard (where Royce was most dangerous).

Make no mistake about it… This was a Gracie Challenge. Ken, despite not finishing Royce was the overall Victor.

Ken is in fact the godfather of MMA.

Lots of truth here.

Despite being an overall lackluster fight, the result was the first to stifle GJJ.

Ken is also a big part of the reason leg submissions became required learning.

His influence in the history of the MMA learning curve runs deep.

1 Like
jgiveshead - 

This.

Ken was a pro wrestler before MMA.

He was also stubborn as hell.

I’ve said it before…

Ken would fight King Kong injured – get destroyed – then spend a year hyping the rematch.

tajmills - Sure had a lot of excuses for his first loss to Royce.

He will forever be haunted by getting beat by some skinny unathletic guy not only once, but twice!

He’s a legend and one of the most important figures in early MMA. Like most early legends he lost, and fought for too long. 

It is what it is. He was for a time the fighter considered the best (most dangerous) in the world by many. As time went on others surpassed him and his glory faded. Like all fighters from that era he had flaws that we can all see now. 

1 Like
KaiTangata - 

He will forever be haunted by getting beat by some skinny unathletic guy not only once, but twice!

Royce admitted that he intentionally kicked Ken in the nuts in their third fight.

KaiTangata - 

Had there been judges in the second fight, that’s an obvious win for Ken.

I consider it a de-facto win.

The third fight should be an NC.

The record should rightfully be:

1-1-0-(NC).

1 Like