Ken vs Suzuki - KOP Title Fight

I've read that Funaki threw the fight to increase Kondo's popularity, possibly without Kondo's knowledge. From the very beginning, Kondo was an obvious money maker, and him being champion would only bring in more fans. I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but I'm pretty sure Funaki threw that fight.

If so, Kondo must have let it go to his head or something, because Funaki came back with a vengeance in the rubber match and he crushed Kondo. I can only remember him fighting with that much intensity against Rutten (when Rutten closed fist punched him, then Funaki gave him that "oh no you dint!" look and promptly (and viciously) toe holded him) and against Alex Cook, after Cook acted like an asshole (surprise surprise) when beating Inagaki. That one was just cruel. He would intentionally get near the ropes, then crank a heel hook and let Cook rope escape. He did this 3 or 4 times before eventually getting Cook in the middle of the ring and just ripping into the final heel hook. I'm sure you two remember that. :)

Ahhh yes the Funaki vs Cook fight...One of my personal favorites....I wish Funaki would have broken something on Cook though.... The 3rd Funaki fight was classic....Funaki absolutely TOOLED Kondo on the mat. You mention that Funaki couldnt get the belt till most of the top guys were broken down, but Funaki has wins over ALL of them. I seem to remember Funaki taking Kondo under his wing initially...it was kind of like watching Star Wars with the teacher fighting the student. I also remember watching Kondo doing some Wooden-dummy Kung Fu techniques with Jason Delucia while training for the Funaki fight. BTW yes I am a R.D.... and Ryan G I have a question for you....I know this is a ridiculous question so dont flame me for it....I spoke with Zack Arnold quite extensively some years ago and he seemed to think that Funaki had lost the KOP to Bas Rutten purposely...While certainly the beating he too was legit, he had plenty of opportunities on the ground to do....more. Ive watched the fight many times after my conversations with Zack. And while the beating was legit and whether Funaki would have lost anyway is a moot point, but Zack seemed to believe (at the time) that Funaki had thrown the match to prove he could do a dramatic work for the fans....It certainly was a dramatic loss, almost like a Rocky movie..I remember being in tears during the fight. Funaki is my all time favorite fighter to this day.

ttt

Kondo would not agree to a work. But Funaki's ethics are questionable. He would definitely put Kondo over.

Kondo would win in a real fight anyways.

quite refreshing to see Shammy got for an arm bar

I don't know if Funaki threw the KOP title fight with Bas, but if he did then he's even crazier than I thought. That was the absolute most brutal slap fight ever.

WHERE CAN I GET THE SOUNDTRACK FOR THE MUSIC THAT COMES ON AT
THE END OF THE FIGHT WHEN KEN TAPS? IT IS REALLY INSPIRATIONAL
AND MADE ME A BIT MISTY-EYED...

The fact that there is alot of people knowledgeable of pancrease is great.

Opinions are fine, i.e., "I think it was a work because...". But what blows my mind is the "100% work" posts and alike.

Where you actually in the rooms, arranging the work, and working out all the spots ? If not, please do not post "100% work".

The other reason listed was "I read that...."... again, do you believe everything you read. That's like me saying, I read that Sakuraba will be fighting Rickson this NYE, its true!

I am not saying there were not works, and that you are not correct, but the amount of people that claim work on this message board is beyond me......

If you think it was work, say why and let's discuss, but don't claim that you know 100% for sure.

My 2'cents.

P.S... This rant may have been written due to the constant UFC TUF nerds, posting "work" after every single Pride FC where the guy they were betting on was defeated! Sorry for all the responsible posters.

It wasnt necessarily that I BELIEVED that Funaki worked the fight...Just that someone had brought it up to me with a lot of material to back it up... Perhaps he was just blowing smoke (or perhaps someone had blew smoke at him)....either way it was a dramatic fight...I never said Funaki is the greatest, but he is my favorite of all time....when he passed the torch to Kondo, Kondo became one of my favorites... Misaki has kind of continued to carry the torch for Pancrase (and strangely enough PRIDE hasnt decided to screw him over ala Kikuta or Kondo)...Perhaps Kawamura will be next and sadly Kengo Watanabe never amounted to much of a fighter.

Some observations...

Ken got his look from Japan.....Look at Suzuki, his hair,his robe. Suzuki looks like a Japanes Shamrock. Same w/ Frank.....Look at the hair !!

Also, was Ken a heel in Japan ? I've noticed the Japanese show disdain for him in Pride. I wonder if it stems back to his time in Pancrase.

"Why would anyone watch an MMA organization with any confidence, or enthusiasm, if they are known to throw works in every now and then? That means, that I, as a viewer, must now be burdened with the idea that this, or that fight may or may not have been real."

Pancrase is 100% shoot with the same rules as SHOOTO since 2000. Its not like the UFC hasnt had a few suspect moments... If you dont want to watch Pancrase, then dont watch it. Personally I'd think you were missing out...then again I dont watch The Ultimate Fighter (not even once)...perhaps I'm missing out

bas said striking was allowed on the ground but it was a gentlemans agreement that they wouldnt do it. but if 1 guy did, the other guy did too

ttt