Keystone Passes the House with...

100% GOP support and 31 Dems. This will pass in the Senate and I'll be curious to see if POTUS vetoes it or not.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2014/roll519.xml Phone Post 3.0

disbeliever - 
AngryFoamy - 100% GOP support and 31 Dems. This will pass in the Senate and I'll be curious to see if POTUS vetoes it or not.

IIRC Obama already said he would veto it. He says he wants to wait and let the review board come tot heir conclusion.

He really should do the right thing and listen to the internet.

disbeliever - 
AngryFoamy - 100% GOP support and 31 Dems. This will pass in the Senate and I'll be curious to see if POTUS vetoes it or not.

IIRC Obama already said he would veto it. He says he wants to wait and let the review board come tot heir conclusion.

Ironically, the administration had contracted out a scientific study to find out the environmental impact of the pipeline.  IIRC it took two years.  When the study came back that the impact would be negligible, apparently that wasn't the result they were looking for.  Obama basically said, fuck you, we are stopping the pipeline anyway.

The pipeline would be a huge boost to the economy for the entire Gulf Coast from Corpus Christy to the tip of Florida.  He has absolutely no good reason to stop it other than to appease the environmentalists who say shale oil has a higher carbon footprint.  Well, the exact same carbon footprint will occur because Canada will still produce the oil.  But instead they will sell it to China who has said they will take all of it.

^Im still confused on why the ban on oil/gas exports is in play. I've read from a few sources that if tensions with Russia would increase that they would be lifted so the EU could get off the Russian teet. Phone Post 3.0

Interesting angle from Robert Reich:

"Republicans claim the Keystone XL pipeline will create thousands of American jobs. Baloney. As the President said this morning: “Understand what this project is: It is providing the ability of Canada to pump their oil, send it through our land, down to the Gulf, where it will be sold everywhere else. It doesn't have an impact on US gas prices. If my Republican friends really want to focus on what's good for the American people in terms of job creation and lower energy costs, we should be engaging in a conversation about what are we doing to produce even more homegrown energy.”

Canadian oil bound for China, few permanent jobs and a lot of permanent pollution. No thanks. But I'm sure the oil barons will get their way in the end. They always do.

picturemonkey - Interesting angle from Robert Reich:

"Republicans claim the Keystone XL pipeline will create thousands of American jobs. Baloney. As the President said this morning: “Understand what this project is: It is providing the ability of Canada to pump their oil, send it through our land, down to the Gulf, where it will be sold everywhere else. It doesn't have an impact on US gas prices. If my Republican friends really want to focus on what's good for the American people in terms of job creation and lower energy costs, we should be engaging in a conversation about what are we doing to produce even more homegrown energy.”

Yeah......sounds like a bad idea Phone Post 3.0

I dicked out seven in time Phone Post 3.0

Republican wave washes Democrats out of office. So of course Obama heeds the will of the voters....... Just kidding he moves farther to the left Phone Post

Naderhood - 

That's because it is a bad idea.

The problem though is, the right still thinks we can drill our way out and they fail to realize how much oil/fuel we consume on a daily basis....and it's growing.

Naderhood - 

Yep Oil goes on the world market not as if it only goes to Americans

We currently buy most of our oil from Canada.

attjack - Canadian oil bound for China, few permanent jobs and a lot of permanent pollution. No thanks. But I'm sure the oil barons will get their way in the end. They always do.

No disrespect intended, but you, like jzspanky, are talking completely out your asses and are making statements based on pure folly.

Our refinery alone has a long term plan in place for expansions if the Keystone pipeline goes into play.  The spread between the crude feedstock and the price of gasoline is much larger using Canadian crude.  That means bigger profit margins.  Those profit margins were going to allow for millions of dollars in planned expansion projects that would provide permanent jobs to operators, engineers, mechanics, electricians, instrument men, pipefitters, and multiple vendors that supply the plants.  And that's just for our one location alone.

And as far as pollution, The Obama administration's own paid study proved the environmental impact is negligible.

So, with these two issues disproven, there is no real reason for a Democrat to oppose the pipeline other than because the majority of Republicans seem to want it.  Ironically, this is not a Democrat vs Republican issue.  There are plenty of Democrats who will benefit from job creation and they don't have to worry at all about any environmental impacts.

BradGluckman - 
Naderhood - 

Yep Oil goes on the world market not as if it only goes to Americans

In most cases yes.  The circumstances for the Canadian shale oil provide for a cheaper crude than other  sources.  Our refinery is still using Candian oil, but the costs go up significantly having to get it to our refinery vs. having a pipeline.

Seriously though, if Obama is just going to veto every fucking thing that comes across his desk now, why doesn't he just declare himself King.