Khabib Nurmagomedov calls out B.J Penn

B.J Penn thinking of returning to lightweight soon. The Russian put his name out first to fight him.

What do you think of this fight?

Ahlulbayt786 - B.J Penn thinking of returning to lightweight soon. The Russian put his name out first to fight him.

I don't think he deserves Penn after his last fight where he came in overweight and then just stayed on his opponent's back for 15 minutes. Talent-wise he definitely does but I I feel if you come in overweight your next fight should be on a Facebook prelim. Phone Post

That's not how you spell his name.

There's a dot after the J.

Who? You can't just call out legends Phone Post 3.0

Did he call him out? Or did he just say he'd love to fight penn? I'd like to see it tbh. Phone Post

Wicked smahtMF - well fuck Habeeb then. chump move and extremely transparent. wants to come up off BJs name. BJ should retire first and foremost but if he doesnt, he should be fighting LWs and more importantly LWs with names.
I dont even think Zuffa/ Joe Silva would have the balls to offer BJ a no-name like Habeeb. at least i hope not. its a smack in the face. Hes no longer in title contention so theres no reason he should take one on the chin like that purely for utilities sake. BJ isnt a fucking gate keeper or stepping stone hes a combat legend and one in 10 million prize fighter. I just hope his management doesnt take any bullshit. Hes got a few left in him... maybe, and i want to see blockbusters/ super fightsI realize that the brand emphasis is one of the most important things that separates mma/ zuffa from the boxing model but guys like BJ, particularly towards the ends of their careers, should see some SERIOUS individual promotion kick in. BJ, GSP, Ando, Hendo... all these guys are on their way out and theres serious money to be made by all parties if the promotion side would try a more grandiose/ prize fighting approach. Rampage even was a missed opportunity imo

His name is Khabib, but you called him Habeeb.

Very clever and very innovative.  

Two thumbs up.

Hocky Balboa -
Wicked smahtMF - well fuck Habeeb then. chump move and extremely transparent. wants to come up off BJs name. BJ should retire first and foremost but if he doesnt, he should be fighting LWs and more importantly LWs with names.
I dont even think Zuffa/ Joe Silva would have the balls to offer BJ a no-name like Habeeb. at least i hope not. its a smack in the face. Hes no longer in title contention so theres no reason he should take one on the chin like that purely for utilities sake. BJ isnt a fucking gate keeper or stepping stone hes a combat legend and one in 10 million prize fighter. I just hope his management doesnt take any bullshit. Hes got a few left in him... maybe, and i want to see blockbusters/ super fightsI realize that the brand emphasis is one of the most important things that separates mma/ zuffa from the boxing model but guys like BJ, particularly towards the ends of their careers, should see some SERIOUS individual promotion kick in. BJ, GSP, Ando, Hendo... all these guys are on their way out and theres serious money to be made by all parties if the promotion side would try a more grandiose/ prize fighting approach. Rampage even was a missed opportunity imo

Two thumbs up.

I believe an acceptable spelling of his name is Habib. Now I am not sure if he put up the double "e" instead of an "i" because he thought it was funny or if he was going phonetic. When you go from Cyrillic to English the spelling is a little tricky. Phone Post

dubate - 
Hocky Balboa -

Two thumbs up.

I believe an acceptable spelling of his name is Habib. Now I am not sure if he put up the double "e" instead of an "i" because he thought it was funny or if he was going phonetic. When you go from Cyrillic to English the spelling is a little tricky. Phone Post

I agree.

I must admit, I would be disappointed if he was "positionally advantaged" for 15 minutes.

I know it's important to win...but...damn.

dubate -
Ahlulbayt786 - B.J Penn thinking of returning to lightweight soon. The Russian put his name out first to fight him.

I don't think he deserves Penn after his last fight where he came in overweight and then just stayed on his opponent's back for 15 minutes. Talent-wise he definitely does but I I feel if you come in overweight your next fight should be on a Facebook prelim. Phone Post

That a very good way of looking at it. Phone Post

Hocky Balboa -
dubate - 
Hocky Balboa -

Two thumbs up.

I agree.

Al Bundy or not, the spelling thing is true. Are you suggesting that it's wrong to hope that he's not a complete and total fucking moron? Phone Post

Am I the only one who enjoyed Khabib's last fight where he ragdolled Abel Trujillo for 15 minutes? He wasn't Fitching the dude, he was suplexing the dude and throwing him around,and the few times he got on his back he was actively fighting for the submission.

I actually like the Khabib/Penn match-up a lot. Khabib is a young lion just on the verge of breaking into the Top 10. Beating BJ Penn could make the dude's career. He'd also be a respectable win for Penn should BJ come out on top, and Khabib could still bounce back from that sort of defeat.

The problem with giving the dude a "name" like Nate Diaz or Jim Miller is those are guys who are already fringe contenders and in the mix, and if they lose to BJ Penn, they won't be anymore. Furthermore if they win it won't guarantee anyone a title shot. If Penn beats a guy like that or Gilbert Melendez or whoever it'll be a nice finale for Penn but the outcome for Penn is barely any different if he beats a guy in the mix or a guy looking to be in the mix, where the outcome for the loser is completely different.

Basically there's much more upside in Penn fighting a guy like Nurmagomedov. With Khabib's grappling it's also stylistically interesting. I approve.

Shit just got real

I'm as excited as anyone for Nurmagomedov to fight again. But he HAS GOT to come in at weight. There is no excuse. I never even heard anything about why he didn't make weight.

BJ is only going to fight big names. I highly doubt he has any interest in fighting up and comers.

This would not be a good first fight back for BJ. He would need a couple lesser ranked guys first to get rid of the rust IMO

Chromium -

Am I the only one who enjoyed Khabib's last fight where he ragdolled Abel Trujillo for 15 minutes? He wasn't Fitching the dude, he was suplexing the dude and throwing him around,and the few times he got on his back he was actively fighting for the submission.

I actually like the Khabib/Penn match-up a lot. Khabib is a young lion just on the verge of breaking into the Top 10. Beating BJ Penn could make the dude's career. He'd also be a respectable win for Penn should BJ come out on top, and Khabib could still bounce back from that sort of defeat.

The problem with giving the dude a "name" like Nate Diaz or Jim Miller is those are guys who are already fringe contenders and in the mix, and if they lose to BJ Penn, they won't be anymore. Furthermore if they win it won't guarantee anyone a title shot. If Penn beats a guy like that or Gilbert Melendez or whoever it'll be a nice finale for Penn but the outcome for Penn is barely any different if he beats a guy in the mix or a guy looking to be in the mix, where the outcome for the loser is completely different.

Basically there's much more upside in Penn fighting a guy like Nurmagomedov. With Khabib's grappling it's also stylistically interesting. I approve.

You should know BJ by now. He's not gonna take a mid level fight. I wouldn't be surprised if he accepted a JDS or Velasquez fight... Phone Post 3.0

bozy - 
bozy - Always thought Serra vs B.J. would be fun Phone Post

Rematch* would be fun Phone Post

at 205...

Nagaho -
bozy - 
bozy - Always thought Serra vs B.J. would be fun Phone Post

Rematch* would be fun Phone Post

at 205...
Having both fight at 205 is a great idea Phone Post 3.0

LEKS - 
Chromium -

You should know BJ by now. He's not gonna take a mid level fight. I wouldn't be surprised if he accepted a JDS or Velasquez fight... Phone Post 3.0

This is only half-a-step down from the MacDonald match, which BJ lost. Yes I know that there was the TriStar connection there, but it was still BJ taking on a very hot rising prospect, which is the same thing he'd be doing against Nurmagomedov, who is undefeated and all of 24 years old. It's not a main-event but he's not facing some middle-of-the-pack guy either. I think it's the match-up with a good upside and not a lot of downside.

But yes, BJ could certainly refuse.