Khabib wasn’t that good

What about Diego Sanchez?

Is that you Kenny Florian?

1 Like

Edit.

No offence Dryfly but you need to sharpen your sensing of the tone of the post.

Of course nobody thinks Hughes is a super striker.

The point being BJ seemed to rock him and Hughes fell over and the sequence ended in BJ choking him. Hughes is objectively a terrible striker. He had good tools to beat Hughes and almost subbed him the second time before fading (or had excuses). I am a massive Penn fan and was upset the only time I saw him live was to lose his belt to Edgar and never recover.

Regardless the irony of most of these posts is Khabib would do to Penn what he would do to Ferguson or Oliveira and what happened in Brock/Mir 2 and Fedor/Nog twice.

He would take then down and beat the shit out of them and they won’t have the room or the energy to pull off shit 9/10 times.

Khabib only struggled when he was younger against an oversized steroid freak. At his peak he is above and beyond other lightweights.

Him not changing weight or having a longer streak are things fans would like to see not a knock on his greatness. The guy cleared out his division almost flawlessly.

How do you clear out a division with only 3 title defenses? :thinking:

1 Like

That was a troll post (not your response); doesn’t need your attention imo.

He was good enough to never lose

2 Likes

To a bunch of kickboxers. He also out grappled everyone at the Local NAGA tourney. That’s not a G.O.A.T type of accomplishment.

Khabib def has a btter record than BJ. So lets look at all the name fighters both fought:

Khabib:

Conor
Dustin
Justin
RDA
Barboza

Next on his list is guys like this:

Johnson
Healy
La Quinta
Tavares
Tibau

BJ:

GSP x2
Hughes x2
Renzo Gracie
Roridgo Gracie
Gomi
Nick Diaz
MacDonald
Machida
Fitch
Guida
Pulver x2
Edgar x3
Sherk
Serra
Uno
Din Thomas
Florian
Diego Sanchez
Ludwig

I forgot this thread was about BJ Penn.

Thread title is: Khabib wasn’t that good

Well, compared to what? Thats where discussion and comparison to another GOAT LW comes in.

I have multiple post about this.

You can clear out a division without any defences if you’ve beaten the contenders.

Unless you expect him to recycle fights. The guy was dominant enough not to need rematches which is a positive.

1 Like

But he didnt. Oliveira, Dariush, Chandler, Ferguson were all in the top 10 before Khabib left and immediately in title contention for the vacant belt.

If he hasnt had to recycle any fights then the division isnt cleaned out. Thanknyounfornprpving my point.

On a side not, normally athletes are evaluated for awards and hof nominations based on their accomplishments and achievements. Somehow here its turned into just giving a liat of who someone beat and evaluating those opponents based on todays rankings. It doesnt work thst way. You dont say " Babe Ruth"? Who did he beat?" Nobody says Royce Gracie is one of the greates because he beat big name fighters. Who did Mike Tyson beat?

Some of you think its a video game wherr you just compare ratings and rankings as some kind of mathematical formula.

Im not sure I get you with this.

In the fight game, who you beat ABSOLUTELY is in the discussion of greatness.

Esp when comparing to other fighters.

Who’s basing it off today’s rankings?

I put a list up of who both fought so people can see, you fight a list like BJ has you may be getting some losses.

Just 10 of BJ’s fights are GSP, Hughes, Edgar, Diaz, Machida, and Rory. That list alone is better than ALL of Khabib’s 30 opponents.

Comparing common opponents is understandable. But comparing the opponents to eachbother is ridiculous. Comparing Kenny Florian to Al Iaquinta makes nonsense towards the Penn/Khabib debate. Especially when its two different eras where one is of fighters who have finished their careers and fighting while the current foghters are still ranked and fighting.

The only thing youre really doing is comparing the weight old weight class to the new one. Youre even counting opponents BJ lost to like Diaz as some kind of validation he’s better than khabib. My point is that what Bj did was legendary and if you werent experiencing it at the time then you wouldnt understand. Part of what makes legens is the journey they took us on. Anyone can listen to the beatles and here that theyre one of thenbest bands of all time, but if you weren’t alive then you wont undestsnd beetlemania. We csn all look at Michael Jordan’s mumbers but thats notbwhat made hik the best, it was watching him win 6 rings and the wybhe did it with iconic moments. Royce Gracie made history with his ufc run, but now people just say “whondid he beat” and shit on his opponents. The people watching rhoae early ufc events werent saying anything about rankings, big names or shit like that. You watched thisnskinny beazilian fight his ass off, beat huge guys and shocknthe world.

Does that make sense?

Lol at Islam bragging over beating Moises, Dober and Green.
And down playing Charles wins over the who’s who of LW

I dobnt thibnk it is.

Its listing who all these fought and or beat.

Thats how you can compare who was greater.

Fighting is not the same as these other sports or music.

Who you beat is VERY important.

People keep talking about BJ’s losses and how Khabib is undefeated, well look at the list of guys each fought and you can see why BJ had plenty of losses. Killers moslty down the list… khabib dipped out after 4 Big wins.

Its how they fought and who they fought in their respected era’s.

How do debate greater Tyson vs Ali with no common opponents to compare?

You go by who they beat in their era’s. And how many top guys they beat and how…