Khun Kao Gets His Ass Kicked!

Yuki, you either win the fight or lose the fight. No if's, and's, could of's, should of's, about it. This man call himself a trainer and should have been prepared. What does that tell his fighters? i say it tell his fighters(students) he's a stupid man and un-professinal trainer. Yu gotta practice what you preach. Does his fighters(students) now have the right to go into a fight unprepared because there trainer did? maybe. Not a good move at all. It doesn't take that much courage to fight un prepared but it does take courage to admite defeat. he blames his lose on conditioning but he must blame him self only, not the boot or bad footing. making poits with this promoter is bullshit. If his fighters(students) are good enough than they can make there own mark. Like i have

Guys, you've been had. I have uncovered KhunKao's secret motive: to create the most lively thread in the Kickboxing forum since "Back from First fight". Way to go, Mr. Moderator!

In response to the "constructive criticism" I have a response or two. First off, KhunKao didn't even make a weak attempt at an excuse. His prep time was nil (I emailed him about the event late afternoon on the day of the fight! That gave, what, 3 hours to prepare?)

Second, don't you just wonder if things would've been different if, say, leg kicks were allowed, or knees ("rocket" or not?) It is extremely difficult for MT fighters to find fights under MT rules in the states. Most of them seem to bounce around from "full contact" to "American kickboxing" to competing in San Shou events. The willingness of a fighter to say "Okay, I can play by those rules" shows a willingness to adapt.

I can't speak for Brooks, but I think the main reason he entered the contest was the desire to compete, to step into the ring and have fun. What's wrong with that?

Having said that, I'll give props to Knock-em-cold as well for encouraging a lively debate. Reading the posts sure beats working!

Whatever dude. You're entitled to your opinion. However, you must realize that Khun Kao has probably forgotten more about Thai boxing than you will ever hope to know. He provides this forum with a vast cornucopia (I've been dying to use that term! LOL)of knowledge, and is respected by most of us here. So when some fly by night internet troll such as yourself comes in here with nothing more to add to the discussion than insults, I personally take offence.

By the way, I just recently got my ass kicked while competing in an event I've never done before, so I guess I'm in the same boat as Khun Kao. I will go now and hang my head in shame.

Good luck with your "prize fighting" champ!

Yuki

Khun Kao

Way to go for getting back in the ring - it's daunting and all the more impressive when you put a rep on the line. (Thank God I've got real low standards to live up to if I do it) And for anyone out there who thinks KK's winning is all that matters:-

1. A great trainer and a great fighter are very different. If you don't understand the difference consider being taught to box by Emmanuel Stewart or Mike Tyson. One can fight, the other can teach.

2. Unless you are competing in the K1 or are otherwise lucky enough to be making a living from you prizemoney, it isn't about winning - it's about stepping up and doing your best. Trite but true. Winning is nice but anyone can get handed their ass against someone having a good day, and if they're in better physical condition then getting out in one piece is a sign of good strategy & rindcraft (which is what you're teaching anyway

So nice one KK - do you plan to fight again?

Bigreddog

PS _ How old are you? Only ask coz I'm interested in how long people reckon is reasonable to keep competing/sparring

bigreddog...

I'm 32. I have been interested in training to fight again for awhile now, but I keep running into setbacks, such as changing work and school schedules and those "nagging" injuries that force you to sit on the sidelines and watch for a month or two to prevent aggravating them and making it worse.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens...

Khun Kao

Yeah, work is a bitch.

Khun Kao, your a fuckin stud for stepping up! I hope you take no offence when I say your a better trainer than you are a fighter. I mean you were a champ, but looking at how you interact now with your students and the knowledge you pass on to everyone, your something even better than a normal fighter. You carry the true spirit of Muay Thai to our generation to the next.

What you are now is 100x more important than a normal fighter.

People like you ensure that Muay Thai will live on in North America.

Khun Kao, As a trainer you must teach your fighter the right's and wrong's. You must prepare your fighters for war, be ready, be prepared. You went into the ring un-prepared and now start making post about the "booties" causing KD's. As a fighter, i consider that stupid. As a trainer i consider that very un-professenial. What does that tell your fighters?

It tells his fighters that he has courage and is much more than some smack talking "Prize Fighter" who trolls the internet looking for a chance to flame.

have a nice day

Yuki

Actually it shows it doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you have an excuse for losing. The excuse is in the mirror. I respect that you fought, and that you were a champion back in the day. However for someone whose given fighting name is that of a great Thai champion, your actions are not very "champion" like. Accept your defeat and move on. You can lose, just don't lose the lesson.

Knock-em-Cold: Although I've never trained with Khun Kao, I certainly respect the fact that he got in the ring and did the best he could given that there were factors working against him. A true panzy ass would never have gotten into the ring at all. As for not wanting to train with him, that's your perogative but a trainer doesn't necessarily have to be a good fighter to be a good trainer. I would definitely prefer to train under someone who fought and lost than train under someone who doesn't know what it's like to get in the ring. Experience counts very highly IMO and as Khun Kao said, nothing can take that away from him.

Lautaro

Way to go Khun Kao, despite the loss. Believe me, I know what it's like to be on the wrong side of an ass whoopin' LOL

Yuki

Tyboxer...

Look, it wasn't my intention to start a pissing contest with you or Knock-em-Cold. Overall, I agree many of the things that both of you have stated.

However, I am being accused of making excuses for my poor performance in Fridays nights event. I'm calling you out on that because I have just reread everything that I posted at least FIVE TIMES, and I just don't see it!

I think that I have pretty clearly stated that I LOST BECAUSE I WAS UNPREPARED TO FIGHT!

If that's making excuses, then I guess you and I are coming from completely different worlds. In my world, I have just openly admitted and pinpointed the reason that I have lost, which is entirely my own fault.

If you reread my post (please do), I did NOT blame my loss on my misunderstanding of the rules OR on the equipment. I thought I had pretty clearly clarified myself on that exact subject where I wrote:

"I will say this, however. If I did not have to wear those STUPID FUCKING BOOTIES AND SHINPADS, that would have been a different fight!!! Don't misunderstand, I'm not deluding myself into thinking that I would have won. I am still sure I would have been eliminated by my opponent."

Again, if my above quote was misconstrued so that you took it that I was making excuses, then I apologize for my poor choice of words. I was merely offering my opinion on one element of the match that bugged me. I agreed to the match unaware that I would have to wear both pieces of equipment.

To specifically respond to a few of your comments:

"I was taken back by such an "Un-Thai" response. But then again he isn't thai so what can I expect"

You are right, I'm an American, not Thai. But even so, I honestly don't understand what it is that you read that "took you back". But I responded in detail above.

"he's right, he'll never hold Diesels jock"

We agree on this. I have never, and will never presume to compare myself to this legendary fighter. I hope you, and everyone on this forum understands that.

"By the way moderator (don't know your name)..."

Now this bugs the shit out of me right now. My name is posted in numerous places on this Forum, and I even posted in PROMINENTLY in this thread! I will refer you back to my comment regarding you not having really READ my post. (by the way, my name is Brooks C. Miller)

"I know you were a champ...7 years ago, and thats all well and good. But to me that in and of itself means little."

You and I agree on this also. I have said it before and will say it again, "You're only as good as your last fight." Despite the fact that I say this all the time myself, it is good to be reminded of this by others. A Muay Thai official I once knew commented on what a championship belt is really worth. Essentially, its just one more thing in your house that collects dust.

"I ask you, would you have reacted this way 7 years ago when you where a "champ'?"

Well, back to what I've already said, I think I've reacted rather well. You have to understand that this whole post was put here for everyones amusement. I understood that Forum members would have a little fun with me over it, but I'm sorry, I had to respond to the accusations of "making excuses".

"As for the nickname, I don't care if you were called Sally"

Then why did you bring it up in the first place?

Look, I've read in your Profile that you have trained and fought in Thailand. You have had experiences in Muay Thai that I only dream about. Instead of arguing with each other, why don't we agree to disagree on certain subjects, and just move on. I would much rather discuss your Thai training and fighting experiences with you.

Besides, you're not too far away from Washington, D.C... I know some Thai fighters in Philly, we could all get together to train, trade stories, and drink some brews.

Mai Phen Rai

Khun Kao

That would be cool as hell. Where can you point me to in Philly? As it stands I start studying for my first set of board exams in January. However I know my mind works best when I am training. I want to check out BodyArts gym, do you know much about it? All I need is an affordable place with equipment and a good first aid kit (I'm a bleeder) :)
In the end we are all brothers of the ring. We fight because we need to. Its something that the uninitiated don't understand, but then again they don't need to. From what I read, you are a good trainer that cares much about the sport, something that is always welcome. I hope you produce some champions someday, I would love to see the art of Muay Thai get huge here in America. On a side note, just as in boxing I think the future in MT lies in the poorer areas of the cities. I think its something that could really catch on and would like to try to introduce at the Germantown boys and girls club here in Philly. If I am able to get that going you can expect some e-mails .

I got the hook-up for you...

Body Arts is the place to go. Angel Cartagena is the dude that I know there. I met a bunch of the guys from that gym at the New York Showdown back in September, and they are a super cool group of guys! They really seem to have a good "team" chemistry!

My wife is from El Salvador, therefore she's fluent in Spanish (obviously). I'm hoping to eventually use that to our advantage to attract Spanish speaking students. We have a HUGE Latin American immigrant population in Northern VA. Poor, working class people. I'd love to give their kids an opportunity to be involved in something beneficial. It sure beats the hell out of drugs and gangs!

If you ever want to make the trip down here to hang out with me and my gang, let me know. I would really love to have you down!

khun.kao@verizon.net

Kob Khun Krab!

Khun Kao

ps- we also have some KICK-ASS Thai restaurants in the area...

I just saw this thread. Huge props for entering the event. We all get our ass kicked from time to time. Just as a note, Brooks called me to see if I wanted to fight at about 5pm on Fri, I was well on my way to NYC. He mentioned that he might do it, but I didn't take him seriously, now I find out that you did it! Hey Brooks, this will just fuel your motivation even more as both a trainer and fighter, by the way who worked your corner?
Jeff

Jeff...

Hey, whats going on? Don't worry, you'll get your chance. They have another event coming up in March.

The whole thing was a debacle (on my part). Check this out:

Ok, we ALL know that I haven't trained seriously in years, and I'm fat.

I took the fight on 3 hrs notice.

We forgot my handwraps and had to borrow. I almost had to resort to just taping my hands up.

I did not warm up or stretch prior to the fight. I just gloved up, stepped into the ring and banged!

Because of the Toughman-style format, we were encouraged to take the mike and do a little 'smack-talking' prior to our matches.

I had Glenda work my corner.

The music was so freaking loud that I couldn't hear any of the instructions from the ref or my corner throughout the fight.

Everything else I've already mentioned. I just went out there and tried to have some fun! I probably wouldn't do it again myself, but I think a few of you guys would get a kick out of it. So we'll wait and see what's lined up for the next event...

Khun Kao

Yukisan
You are in no position to tell me what i do or do not know. I trained and fought in Thailand, I have been published in Inside Kung Fu, I have taught for years. I respect you are sticking up for a friend, but he seems to be able to do it himself. To me it seems I read about 2 pages of excuses. MY opinion, obviously you didn't like it, I couldn't give a shit. I have been around the martial arts for the majority of my life, and in my experience, the fighters that get the most respect are the ones that can take defeat and victory with the same grace. NONE of the fighters I trained and fought with in Thailand ever made an excuse. For a moderator/fan of muay thai and one who loves it so much I was taken back by such an "Un-Thai" response. But then again he isn't thai so what can I expect, he's right, he'll never hold Diesels jock. By the way moderator (don't know your name). I know you were a champ...7 years ago, and thats all well and good. But to me that in and of itself means little. A title, nickname, or belt is only as worthy as the man currently holding it. I ask you, would you have reacted this way 7 years ago when you where a "champ'? As for the nickname, I don't care if you were called Sally, so as far as "GETTING OVER IT" don't flatter yourself by thinking I have given it much thought. I was simply trying to make a point.

Khun Kao, congrats for getting back into the ring, it's hard to do after a long layoff.

I was just curious, what weight would you like to fight at?

Khun Kao,

Sup,this is Judah From BAG in Philly.Thanks for the kind words about our place and team.I just wanted to say that your situation reminds me of a friend of mine who right now is probably as bad shape as you(he is 255 and about 40 -50lbs. of it is fat).Thing is he was/is a good fighter(hell man he is so strong and fast for a "big guy" it is amazing and his flexibility and coordination is tops).
My point is that I love the big lug and I feel horrible seeing him be any less than his best.
While I totally agree that in some weird way(you know how life is sometimes wacky like that;-)you did give your students a valuable lesson.Because we often learn best from our losses,our mistakes and if we are truly wise -the mistakes of those who have gone before us.
Bro ,I wished you lived near us because I would soooo love to get you back into contender shape.It is after all what I do and my passion.

Judah Ciervo -Body Arts Gym