Kicking with Feet

dear khun kao,

the defect, impact of a movement in mechanics is proportional with the therm "impulse", impulse is the most important physical subject to crash anything, the people are ko'd , died in accidents, fights due to this physical property...ý don't want to go deep in mechanics too much, but in brief, the impulse of a moving mass is defined as the multipliton of the intensity of a force with the effected time interval (delta t)...it is proportional with properties mass ,speed ,time interval...speed is not only enough...
so, for instance ,please image a heavy guy with a leg and complementary body kick total mass of 40 kg is kicking with a speed of 100 km/h and in a time interval 0.01 sec, whereas the lighter one has a total kick mass of 20 kg and kicking with the same speed i.e.100 km/h in the same time interval i.e. 0.01 sec...which impulse of the movement is greater and causing much effect,defect?..of course, the heavier one...by the way, ý would like to see for example peter arts kicking on the pads, only few people heavy weights can afford of this great impulse (due to the high speed ,heavy mass) caused on the pads,whereas some energy is absorved on the pads ansd some transferred also to the body of the pad holder...
of course, the concern is not fatty,lazy heavy weights...this is the same story like mike tyson's punching impulse compared to a middle weight's...(the middle weight may have the same speed like tyson,he may use the same time interval,but the punching mass is not the same and lower...)
ý think for the subject "ko,defect of a fighter" the term impulse has much value together with kinetic energy rather than the power(of course it is also a tied property) subject which has been discussed many times...

olyella, why not kicking with the ball of the foot, like used for breaking?

dear joe stagner,

the points indicated are to high extent right...the reason may be some crack at the shinbone of the poor guy on sparring etc...

however, as far as ý have seen ,those guys are heavyweights and do not forget that these may kick %50 powerful than the average weights, so the impact is very high ,whereas the bones may not be so proportional developed...

the main reason that there are much ko's and injuries in heavy weights (compared to lighter ones )lies under the point that they hit very powerful ,whereas their body resistance couldn't be proportional improved with training...

Heavy Leg, for sure the bones in your foot and ankle are smaller and more "delicate" as you put it, but you will never be able to make contact with them cleanly in the center as you can against a shin. You might still get hurt, maybe still pretty bad, but I think it would be far less severe than what the clip shows. I'm not saying that the clip is the standard by any means, and for sure there could've been more to it as someone else said. I think it's just a worse case example that actually happened and we can look at and examine. I had heard about this clip(or others like it maybe) before this anyway, but having been kicking with my foot for practically half my life now, and knowing many other people who do the same, I've never heard of anything similar happening to anyone kicking with their feet, and I think that kinda disproves to an extent the argument that kicking with your feet leads to injury while the shin is safer. It's kinda like how people say soccer kicks to the head on an opponent on all fours in MMA is super dangerous and could break someone's neck or kill them, but really in such a controlled environment nothing like that has ever happened, and evidence would actually point to other moves being more dangerous.

Ercan...

I partially disagree with your post regarding heavyweights being able to kick 50% harder than their lighterweight counterparts.

Remember that part of the equation when determining the force of impact is speed. This is why so many people come back from Thailand literally humbled by their experience. I've read and talked to people regarding this time and time again. These little guys who are under 120lbs can kick much harder than they can. This is because these little guys are so much faster than the heavier fighters.

Even though some heavyweights are fast, they simply cannot compare with the lighter fighters in that respect.

Khun Kao

Guys,

Khun Kao is right, I feel like I HIT harder (not necessarily Kicked Harder) at 160 than I do at 200.

I used to go to open fight nights when I lived in Australia (like tournaments - show up, weigh in, and draw a fighter) and get on the scale with 10 or 15 pounds on Quarters in my pockets. The bigger guys were easier to hit - easier to hit with combinations, and seemed often to go down easier.

-Joe

In the ring, when my body level kicks get blocked by my opponents elbow or forearm, its fine. But when my foot gets caught on the elbow...then I am not kicking again for a long long time. Especially when you are kicking all out.

With kicks aimed lower than the head, in my experience when I kicked with the instep initially (old TKD habit ) it made a loud crack off my opponents thai or body, it sounded like it hurt and it did. It even looked nasty because it often broke blood vessels, but it never really dropped people. Just alot of discomfort. After a few weeks, my shin was being used more and more in my kicks, people then started to fall over from my low kicks and to the body. I also noticed the sound it made was a dull thud instead of the loud crack. They all agreed my shin kicks hurt a lot more. Well thats my experience with the instep and shin.

Moving over from TKD to Muay Thai and also boxing has been an interesting experience in striking.