Kids BJJ should be points-only

The more kids I see competing at tournaments, the more I come to the conclusion that kids BJJ matches should be points-only.

First of all, there's the visceral unpleasantness of watching small children choke and armbar each other.

Second of all, there's the ludicrous notion that an 8 year old has the maturity to decide when to tap.

Third of all, there's the crying. Like 90% of kids BJJ matches end in crying.

Fourth of all, there are the idiot parents yelling "crank it" and other such nonsense.

Am I wrong here?

Yes I think you are. The more I teach kids class the more I am amazed at what my kids are capable of. Kids not tapping/getting hurt are the coaches and referees fault.

I make sure to tell the kids when to tap when I teach them a submission and on the flip side when to slow down because you can hurt your partner.

I do have a problem though with certain submissions though. Omaplata being a big one that some tournaments allow for kids.

Judo Scott - Yes I think you are. The more I teach kids class the more I am amazed at what my kids are capable of. Kids not tapping/getting hurt are the coaches and referees fault.

Who cares whose fault they are? They happen all the fucking time and it's fucked up to see.

The decision to tap should in no way be in a kid's hands. At the very least, the referee should stop the match immediately when a submission is applied.

I'm with you on that. I've seen to many coaches and ref's just stand there and stare while kids are getting hurt.

I disagree. 

Firstly, I dont feel or see anything unpleasant about kids attempting to submit one another.  If anything its rewarding to see them work at applying something that you've taught them.

Secondly, my 6 and 7 year olds know very well they are supposed to tap when it hurts.  We drill the notion into their heads and emphasize that there is absolutely no shame in it.  It rarely even pops up as an issue as the referees at any tournament ive ever been to are quick, at times to a fault, to stop a match once a sub is locked when small children are involved.

Thirdly, yes there is crying.  Just as much in points only divisions as in divisions where subs are allowed.  Crying is usually from embarrasment or feeling like they have let down their parent.

Fourth, idiot parents are by far the worst part of kiddie comps.  The guys living vicariously through there kid who yell things like 'crank it!', 'smash him!', then get in the refs face after a match.  NAGA is the worst, where the parents hover right over the matches.  Ive seen guys nearly step on the two kids on the mat on there way to argue with a ref or another parent.  Not to mention the blatant sandbagging.  I had a mother tell me 'He's been training for 3yrs but last time he lost his first match so this time we put him in novice'.  The worst is when some fat slob lays into his son, who lost a close finals match on points, how he 'fought like a pussy'.  I could go on but you get the idea.

**Edited for spelling

I agree with the OP. I think even teaching the kids how to do chokes is not the best idea. Kids do not have the discretion and restraint that adults do, especially when afraid.

The rules vary place to place, but judo kids usually don't get to use chokes/armbars or leg attacks until they're 13yrs old. Before then it's just throws and holddowns. The kodokan is even more restrictive(15-16yrs old), but I've never really heard anyone complain or noticed it having an effect on kids skills as they get older.

I totally agree. I disagree with a number of elements in Judo but this area is not one of them.

Kids should not be doing submissions in competitions. Gracie Bullyproof has no choking attacks which I agree with as well.

Doing that would emphasize too much of the sport aspect and not enough of the self-defense aspect and the next thing you know BJJ would be the next Karate...I agree it is up to the coaches to teach the kids when to tap, and the refs to stop it if a submission is locked in. Bottom line is if you change this then the kids won't hunt for subs anymore they will just try to lay and pray and that won't benefit either of the competitors Phone Post

agreed w the OP. I have reffed kids matches and let it be known that if a kid is caught in a full blown sub and there is zero wiggle room, I am stopping it. Have had to argue w some parents as well about it, but screw that. The safety of the kid takes precedence over everything else IMO.

send them to wrestling class if you don't like the submissions.

BJJ has been and always will be about FINISHING. You can FINISH without HARMING in competition if you are a ref with half a brain. Stop pussifying our kids.

lol, try dealing w idiot parents and then get back to us who have been there, done that. And besides anyways, if you cannot dominate position you will be shitty at your submissions anyways, so better to emphasize positional dominance early w kids anyways.

Fuck that noise. Tap or Nap, baby. That's what I teach the kids at our school.

I ain't bringing up no fucking pussies. This faggotry in jiu-jitsu has got to stop.

I agree on all reasons the OP listed. Kids don't know when to tap, plus it is a MAJOR stress on those of us reffing to make sure we give the child an opportunity to compete, and without getting hurt. Either way the parent is pissed and yelling. Also, I've reffed matches where the loser is crying AND the winner is crying. Caique organizes his tournaments so there are four kids in each "division". That way, no matter what, each kid gets a medal for 1-3 (2 3rd places) and the kids are thrilled when they are lined up to receive their medals. Unfortunately, the parents are usually the ones more upset. Phone Post

your 50% correct,take out 1st and 2nd of all,then your 100%

I agree, primarily for the reason that the articular surfaces of children's joints are still malleable. For that reason alone, children shouldn't do joint locks.

Send your kids to Judo. It is an all around better activity for children.

I know two BJJ black belts (one who heads a large BJJ association) that have their kids in Judo and not BJJ. When they get older they can do BJJ and will already have a great base.

I like judo's progression, ex up to a certain age pins only, then they allow chokes and then finally arm locks at the last stage of juniors.

Angelo Popofski - I agree on all reasons the OP listed. Kids don't know when to tap, plus it is a MAJOR stress on those of us reffing to make sure we give the child an opportunity to compete, and without getting hurt. Either way the parent is pissed and yelling. Also, I've reffed matches where the loser is crying AND the winner is crying. Caique organizes his tournaments so there are four kids in each "division". That way, no matter what, each kid gets a medal for 1-3 (2 3rd places) and the kids are thrilled when they are lined up to receive their medals. Unfortunately, the parents are usually the ones more upset. Phone Post

unfortunately, there are alot of times that the parents need to be slapped. HARD. Stop living through your kids and get your worthless asses out and compete instead! /rant

The BJJ tournaments here in the province of Ontario, Canada have no submissions till your age 11 and it's pretty safe....and let me tell you one thing, i will never hesitate to rip into ANY parent who bullies/berates/puts down their child! I run a tournament every year and i make it clear that any type of negative behaviour has no place in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu!

Tomato Can - The more kids I see competing at tournaments, the more I come to the conclusion that kids BJJ matches should be points-only.

First of all, there's the visceral unpleasantness of watching small children choke and armbar each other.

Second of all, there's the ludicrous notion that an 8 year old has the maturity to decide when to tap.

Third of all, there's the crying. Like 90% of kids BJJ matches end in crying.

Fourth of all, there are the idiot parents yelling "crank it" and other such nonsense.

Am I wrong here?

I would agree with everything you stated above. Kids younger than 10 shouldn't even train BJJ imo, let alone competing in it. BJJ is a more complex art than karate or TKD so I don't think it's for young kids.