Kid's Jiu-Jitsu; What To Look For?

My 6-year old son has expressed an interest in learning jiu-jitsu. There is a local school that we're going to visit tomorrow to ask the owner about his kid's classes and his dojo in general.

What do I need to ask or look for in order to be sure this is a good program for my son? Are there certain things to seek or avoid when selecting a jiu-jitsu program for a child?

In case anyone studies at/is familiar with it, the school in question is Central Valley Martial Arts (also known as The Box), in Visalia, CA. The owner/operator is Tom Owens, I think he's fought in WEC before.

Suggestions appreciated.

Most of the Jiu Jitsu schools I have seen are very hands on. From what I have seen of kids and things like submissions, they don't always have the best judgement of when its too much stress on a joint or bone. Make sure you or someone you trust is supervising grappling sessions at all times.

What the instructor has done (championships, titles, etc) doesnt matter nearly as much as his approach to teaching.

I would be interested in the following:

Are the classes structured? Are they fun and exciting? Does the teacher encourage "healthy" competition? Does he encourage technical skill or more of an agressive attitude? How many kids are in a class?

A non-existent sex offender record.

"A non-existent sex offender record. "

That's the first thing I checked.

Make sure they teach tehnique before they let the kids "roll". Also go observe a class and see how agressive the kids in it are. If you ask one of the 6-7 year olds in the class if they know how to heel-hook and they know what you are talking about, I'd look somewhere else. Kids that age really dont know enough to practice advanced moves and not get hurt. If your kids safety is 1st take your time selecting a school because if his/her first experience with MA is a bad one, likely they wont want to continue.

Sorry, MA = Martial Arts

Gah, double post.

Good point about aggressiveness. My son is sweet to a fault and although I'd love to see him toughen up a bit, too hard too soon will indeed turn him off MA. Not what I want.

A good Jiu-Jitsu student will develop a "Quiet-Confidence" and others will know not to mess around with them. Especially in kids. A kid that knows how to armlock somebody is not going to worry about another kid trying to take his candy in the schoolyard. If he wants to he could walk away, but also he could teach them a lesson. If he is confident, he dosent need to be "tough".