Kimbo needed a heart transplant

He was suffering from congestive heart failure.

How did this man pass medicals for his fight in February and had a fight lined up next month????

WTF Bellator and Athletic Commissions

Yeah it's not something that pops up out of the blue and kills you within a week

The Accountant - Can you imagine being told you need a heart transplant or you'll die. Phone Post 3.0
I'm wondering if he wanted the transplant or said no because it's to expensive or something? Or maybe he said yes to it but didn't make it before they could do the operation. Phone Post 3.0

The Accountant - Can you imagine being told you need a heart transplant or you'll die. Phone Post 3.0
Crazy Phone Post 3.0

Really does raise questions about pre fight medical checks for Kimbo and Dada in Bellator.

Does the AC state the nature and exactly what tests are required to get licences ? Phone Post 3.0

Bobby91k -
I'm wondering if he wanted the transplant or said no because it's to expensive or something? Or maybe he said yes to it but didn't make it before they could do the operation. Phone Post 3.0
I read that they were going to take him to a hospital in Cleveland to do the transplant, but he passed away beforehand. Very sad. Phone Post 3.0

Texas athletic commission for the Win Phone Post 3.0

1800champagne - Texas athletic commission for the Win Phone Post 3.0
How does that saying go again? "Everything is shadier in Texas"? Phone Post 3.0

Isn't Leben suffering from same type of issues?

He almost came back to MMA but didn't when he found out his heart is only able to function at a fraction of normal capacity.
A light jog could kill him.

It seems like there are so many athletes associated with one type or many types of drug abuse that die in their 40s due to heart failure.
Flojo springs to mind....tragic Phone Post 3.0

Joindatedoesnotmatter - Isn't Leben suffering from same type of issues?

He almost came back to MMA but didn't when he found out his heart is only able to function at a fraction of normal capacity.
A light jog could kill him.

It seems like there are so many athletes associated with one type or many types of drug abuse that die in their 40s due to heart failure.
Flojo springs to mind....tragic Phone Post 3.0

wtf really?Lebens heart is i that bad shape to where he cant exercise anymore?that must be crushing to a guy that fights mma

Explains why he gassed so quickly.....I cant help but think that other symptoms existed prior to this Phone Post 3.0

Bellator should be in all kinds of shit for this. All they care about is your name and not your health....I'm suprised no one died in the kimbo vs dada fight Phone Post 3.0

The drugs had to have something to do with it. So tragic. 

Bellator is sketchy as fuck under Coker. I'm not even joking and I can't believe I'm saying. Disappointing Phone Post 3.0

It is unreal that he just had a fight in mid February and less than four months later he needed a heart replacement and ultimately passed. He really seemed to be a genuine good guy. I would have never imagined when he signed up for the Ultimate Fighter that he would be my favorite fighter from the house based on his personality by the end of the season. RIP. Phone Post 3.0

GJdeux - if he needed a transplant then he was in terrible shape and I doubt would be able to train. It can be treated by getting the fluid out. I'ts not a death sentence by any means at his age. My mother had it for years and he heart was fine otherwise and it only caused her to be tired a little bit every now and then. She died of cancer, not her heart failing (though I guess ultimately it does). She had to go thru a lot of tests to have that diagnosed, not just listening to the heart. I also don't think it is up to the commission to offer a diagnosis of what is wrong. They don't have the medical history (I'm guessing they don't) so they go by what they see-or what is explained to them. If there is fault, it is Kimbo's. This is why you go to your doctor every year. Not rely on an athletic commission to say whether or not you have a condition. Seems like there must be more to this story.

there has to be..it doesnt seem like Kimbo was a hard life type guy, abusing drugs and whatnot..maybe just a genetic defect caused his heart to give out?

ons ear - 
GJdeux - if he needed a transplant then he was in terrible shape and I doubt would be able to train. It can be treated by getting the fluid out. I'ts not a death sentence by any means at his age. My mother had it for years and he heart was fine otherwise and it only caused her to be tired a little bit every now and then. She died of cancer, not her heart failing (though I guess ultimately it does). She had to go thru a lot of tests to have that diagnosed, not just listening to the heart. I also don't think it is up to the commission to offer a diagnosis of what is wrong. They don't have the medical history (I'm guessing they don't) so they go by what they see-or what is explained to them. If there is fault, it is Kimbo's. This is why you go to your doctor every year. Not rely on an athletic commission to say whether or not you have a condition. Seems like there must be more to this story.

there has to be..it doesnt seem like Kimbo was a hard life type guy, abusing drugs and whatnot..maybe just a genetic defect caused his heart to give out?

Umm... wut? Not trying to be an anti PED crusader here since everybody is or was on them but wake up dude.

Ah, the blame game. So 2016 Phone Post 3.0

EBD75 - It is unreal that he just had a fight in mid February and less than four months later he needed a heart replacement and ultimately passed. He really seemed to be a genuine good guy. I would have never imagined when he signed up for the Ultimate Fighter that he would be my favorite fighter from the house based on his personality by the end of the season. RIP. Phone Post 3.0
Dame here I wanted to hate him but after that season I became a fan Phone Post 3.0

I was thinkng the same thing, I have gone through heart troubles, and no it just doesnt "pop" up, how the hell he was able to fight and allowed to is beyond me