Kimchi, Anyone Make Their Own?

You bastards got me hooked on it, now I need to start making it on my own to survive the expense, lol. I just watched some pretty cute girl’s video on YouTube and I may give it a shot. Anyone make it themselves? Is it worth it?

https://youtu.be/vaoA7SKN0g0

2 Likes

Not yet but will likely after watching this.

Fermented napa cabbage is amazing.

Love me some kimchi and mashed potatoes.

1 Like

Tried to once. It was a pain in the ass and tasted like a pasty old white guy made it… Now i just drive down to china town to the Korean walmart and buy it in their store made section

1 Like

I’m learning about fermenting right now by observing the process up close and taste testing along the way.

My lady is fermenting all types of stuff, nuts, cabbage, cauliflower, onion, garlic, carrots…and also making kombucha(it is good)

1 Like

Not my own but this is maybe my favorite meal in town.

Kimchi ramen

2 Likes

Damn, looks good.

1 Like

Goddamn you guys are gonna make me go get Korean tonight lol

1 Like

The hottie in the video I posted mentions a fermenting podcast or YouTube channel you may want to check out.

2 Likes

Thanks Blue lightning

My lady probably watched her already, but I will suggest it to her. She watches do it yourself videos every night.

I’m gonna do a taqueria mix as soon as I have garden fresh jalapeños

1 Like

Wow, good timing. I just got some Mason jars and fermentation lids for this kind of thing. Never had Kimchi, but was thinking of making sauerkraut.

1 Like

I wasn’t expecting much but after buying some it’s like crack to me. I’d eat it with every meal if I could. The problem is that I don’t live anywhere near an Asian market so I am overspending to get my fix. Probably gonna start committing crimes to support my habit.

1 Like

Yes, super easy to make once you have all the ingredients. Lots of good YouTube vids on how to make. You can make a lot of variations of Kimichi such as Napa, cucumber, lemon grass, and etc. Much cheaper to make than to buy from the store…after you have all spices and other essential ingredients.

3 Likes

Yes. I bought a fermenting crock last year and it’s my favorite thing to make in it. It’s really easy with the crock and comes out great

2 Likes

I don’t make my own but if you live near a TnT or other asian grocer you can get pretty giant tubs of it for not too much $. I find if you ever get it at a western store the containers are smaller and they mark it up pretty bad.

2 Likes

Does she like to do it herself?

I make about 25 lbs at a time. If you don’t have a dedicated fridge, get one of these fancy, air tight containers. Also, don’t skip any of the steps. It’s straightforward and the ingredients should be easy to find unless you are in the middle of nowhere. Also, as mentioned, it’s way better than store bought and a fraction of the price.

2 Likes

There’s a lot more to producing good kimchi… It’s some alchemy type shit.

I remember when living in Korea if word got out among Korean women that someone (usually old woman) had made legit good kimchi, there would be plots hatched to get some.

It’s very hard to get good kimchi in Korea, let alone anywhere else.

You won’t get it in supermarkets or restaurants, except deep in the countryside maybe.

Go to Jeollanam do and befriend a woman over 60 and you’ve got a shot.

1 Like

No, but apprently very healthy for your gut, which might be linked to lacking it linked to depression.

Good bacteria

Edit: from whatever I’ve read about it.

2 Likes

At the K bbq now shit like kimchi and pho are best left to the slants

1 Like