Kimura and Americana

Couple of questions:

Can you step over the head with your leg while doing the americana, like you often do when doing the kimura? Why/why not?

Also: Why is the kimura the one I always see people talking about? Is it higher percentage for some reason? Or is it random and I just haven't been paying attention?

Can you step over the head with your leg while doing the americana, like you often do when doing the kimura? Why/why not?

No, You would have a bad angle to tighten the shoulder and you would allow him to roll into you and escape.

Edited because of Jonpaul's and Andrew's answers: Maybe I don't understand the question. I don't see how you can
maintain control if you step over the head with an Americana unless you turn it into some other sub as you do. It seems that you would be taking weight off the guy's
torso and allowing him to turn into you taking pressure off his shoulder. I guess I'll have to try this in class.

Yepp.

Yes, kimura is higher percentage.

It's all about head control. think about it this way...if you are cross mount on someone and you reach across to set up either move, you're body weight will be shifting away from their head for the kimura. Stepping over does two things (1) controls their head, and (2) helps keep your weight balance over them. If you are doing the americana, or paintbrush, your weight will be shifting towards their head and their is no space for them to defend or escape.

Hope that helps, or at least makes sense. It does in my head at least. :)

Angelo: Thanks for trying to explain in a logical fashion.
I guess I have a real mental block on this. I definitely agree with the stepover on the Kimura. I can't see it working on the Americana. Due to my father having surgery
today, I haven't had time to try it on the mat.

Thanks-

Mike

On second thought, where are you putting the leg/knee that
is not stepping over?

I'm sure it can be done.

I usually step the body with americana and the head with kimura..

That'll work too MM...same principles involved. I usually like to let my leg get "trapped" in the half guard position instead of stepping all the way over.

OK: Now it makes sense.

mikus asked "Can you step over the head with your leg while doing the americana, like you often do when doing the kimura? Why/why not? "

I'm telling him "No", not to step over the HEAD with the Americana and your telling him "Yes" to step over the body.

-Mike

good point Angelo, I was speaking generally, as in what direction..

Angelo is right on regards to head control and weight distribution. Also, you want a lot of weight on his wrist for both armlocks in order to torque the arm. That's one of the reasons you don't want to step over his head for the americana lock, because then you lean your head away from his wrist.

For the americana, some people like to have one knee touching their opponent's hip and the other one stretched out so their stomachs are as low as possible. The reason is that sometimes when you commit your arms to an americana attack you leave yourself a bit vulnerable for your opponent to roll you over, especially if he's stronger and heavier than you. Then you want your center of gravity to be low.

'For the americana, some people like to have one knee touching their opponent's hip and the other one stretched out so their stomachs are as low as possible."

True: When I get in this position, instead of stepping over, I'll bring both of my elbows into him. The high elbow goes against his head and the low elbow goes into his ribs. Once here, paintbrush. This is super tight even
on genetic freaks with flexibility. The other plus is you don't give up any position control.

"Once here, paintbrush."

What does that mean?

What is the purpose of straightening the leg closer to the hips when doing a kimura, and straightening the leg closer to the head when doing an americana? Someone mentioned widening your base, but then what is the point of doing it with opposite legs? My sensei taught me this but his english is not so hot and I still don't really understand why.

"Also, you want a lot of weight on his wrist for both armlocks in order to torque the arm. That's one of the reasons you don't want to step over his head for the americana lock, because then you lean your head away from his wrist. "

That doesn't really make sense to me. Was there a typos? Did you mean you *don't* want a lot of weight on his wrist? Because if you stepped over the head on the americana it seems like you'd get more weight on the wrist. Or am I missing something there?

"Once here, paintbrush."

What does that mean?

I'll answer this part since you quoted me. The "paintbrush" refers to the correct motion when applying the Americana. Let's say you have the Americana locked on and are ready to apply. Pulling straight up on his arm or straight down won't apply near as much lock to the shoulder joint as pulling down toward his feet and raising his elbow at the same time. If you pretend there is a paintbrush in your hand (the one on his wrist), and just motion as if you were painting the mat, you will make the proper motion. Many guys call this a paintbrush.

"What is the purpose of straightening the leg closer to the hips when doing a kimura, and straightening the leg closer to the head when doing an americana?"

To allow rotation of your own hips and leverage in the most useful way for the particular sub.