kimura from open guard?

kimura-ing your opponent while you're playing guard -- seated guard or butterfly guard, most likely.

It seems to be right there a lot while you're working for underhooks and preventing the pass. It's catchable from half guard and the shins-in-biceps guard, which themselves are just a quick transition away from the butterfly guard. ALso, I think I've heard that Margarida would do this sometimes, and I know Matt Thornton sometimes played a seated guard game with kimuras.

What do you guys think? High-percentage? Low-percentage? Just another one of my worthless BJJ fantasy moves?

please reply. I am going clubbing tonight and I need to know whether to add this move to my streetfighting repetoire.

You can kimura someone from anywhere with any set-up. The end.

to armbar

Not only would a kimura from butterfly be extremely low percentage, but all your opponent has to do is clear the hook on the side of the arm that you are attacking and he is on your back. Not good..

If anything, attacking the underkook arm with a kimura while passing the butterfly is higher-percentage and a sneaky move to boot.

"If anything, attacking the underkook arm with a kimura while passing the butterfly is higher-percentage and a sneaky move to boot. "

Just watch his legs because if he can clear his leg opposite side of which you're attacking, he can also get your back

"Just watch his legs because if he can clear his leg opposite side of which you're attacking, he can also get your back"

No... not really.

"Not only would a kimura from butterfly be extremely low percentage"

uh, no?

just make sure you still keep control with your legs or the guy spins around to a straight armbar. a la hughes vs gsp

anytime he passes over

"No... not really."

Yes he can. Mike Fowler goes through the move in his Grappling Gameplan DVD

not what you asked for but close at the 1 min 45 second
mark http://www.budotv.com/17e56e07902b254dfad1-gracie%20jiu%20jitsu-video.html

man, I can't tell WHAT is going on at 1:45!

Anyway, I've thought about it and I think all I need to do is put my foot on the hip when I go for the kimura on that side. So I'm pummeling and working in the butterfly and when I decide to go for the kimura, I take out one hook and put it on his hip as I go for the kimura grip.

"Just watch his legs because if he can clear his leg opposite side of which you're attacking, he can also get your back."

For sure. Its advisable to roll and put your back to the mat so that he can't get to it.

demandango, I was just talking about sitting up in butterfly, not playing it while lying on the mat. I thought that was what chickenfeet was asking for.

sitting up in the butterfly, dude swims his arm under and pushes your leg down to pass, bam, he's in a kimura.

"sitting up in the butterfly, dude swims his arm under and pushes your leg down to pass, bam, he's in a kimura."

He might be able to take your back if your sitting up.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/463460/counter_the_kimura_to_armbar_counter_already_shown/

kimura to armbar shown by cassio werneck

"He might be able to take your back if your sitting up."

you are always vulnerable to attack. it comes down to if you are able to affect the kimura before he defends. whenever somebody pushes down on my knee i put them in a kimura, hook their leg, lay on my side or back and then continue the kimura mechanics. i'm sure if i tried it on somebody better than me they could take my back, just as if i put any lock on they are able to escape. it is still perfectly reasonably to put a kimura on them from most positions. i remember de la riva taking my back after letting me get the kimura from top of half guard.

It might not even come down to the point of him being better than you. A less experienced player might be able to get it, assuming he has drilled the transition a lot. When you cross the arm over to get the kimura configuration, you can expose your back. If you know the position well and take steps to prevent him from taking your back, you'll likely be ok