kimura when sidemounted

Is it possible to get and make a kimura work when you are sidemounted? I would think this would be impossible because you don't really have any leverage in that position. However, I saw a picture on catchwrestle.com of a guy doing it while bridged underneath his opponent? Is this possible?

It is possible (I've been caught in it) but it isn't as high percentage as, say, a kimura from the guard or from sidemount-top.

From sidemount bottom it is usually used one of three ways:

1 - you totally catch your opponent sleeping and/or are stronger then him and/or have better technique than him and tap him out. Rare, but it does happen

2 - To escape the kimura he somersaults over you: you retain the grip and finish in sidemount and continue attacking with the Kimura

3 - You rotate so that your head is under his body, and then bridge as hard as you can. This flips him over and you finish with Kimura from side or north-south position.

Hope this helps

Stephan Kesting
www.grapplearts.com

1 more - if you can triangle him from the bottom you can also catch a kimrua at the same time - its near the end of Royler Gracie's Submission Wrestling book - sorry don't have time to explain

fatbuddha -

while that works sometimes, most of the time you want to americana to stop him from doing a forwards roll

a variation of stephans "he front somersaults", and alot more common is you do a kimura sweep - your on the bottom and you get the kimura as he is passing. his wrist is on his belly. you bridge and bench press his wrist into his belly. he ends up on his back, you on top with kimura

For a while this was my favorite technique. I did it all the time.

I usually got it by establishing my figure-4 on the arm, and then allowing my partner to pass my guard on the far side. You need to maintain it at least at the plane of his body or behind, or it will be super-easy for him to counter. Certainly, there are counters anyways, but they are more difficult if you can keep it behind him.

The finish is the same as usual, but you won't be able to move your hips. Maintain pressure on the wrist, elbow, and shoulder, and move the lock towards the back of his head.

~TT

If you can't catch them it's either because they are hitting the roll-away escape, or you are not isolating the arm enough.

just remember when going for it, your opponent can spin round and armbar you

twinkle

how the hell can he pass to the far side?? it is physically impossible to pass to your back side. his arm would dislocate.

he has to pass to the near side.

anyway, any good blue or up will (should) know that all he has to do is drop your make sure your hand is under you, and drop your hips so you cant be swept, and you pass with ease. then more than likely, the dude will go to your far side, around your head, and arm bar you

sretier,

You're right, my bad. I was thinking two things and typing one. If he passes to the far side, the figure-4 straight armbar is a given. When he passes near side I take the kimura from underneath.

That around-the-head-and-armbar counter is one of my favorites, and you're right--that's what I usually do if one of my students goes for the kimura under the side.

Like most things, it comes down to your and your partner's awareness levels. And as you say, more experienced people have often seen these things before. But what can't you say that for?

~TT

*LOL* Me = Moron. I misread his first post.Kimura while you are sidemounted is a bad idea, because you're just asking to get armbarred as others said. However, what you can use it for is take the kimura, then plant their hand on the inside, near their crotch and use it to post up their hips.Then block their head with your elbow that's closest to their head and roll them over... They'll usually go over, unless they post with their face and their arm. Then if they do that, use the space to get back to at least half-guard.However, I've found that most will just try post with their arm, so you transition to get one foot in and elevate and it'll become a half-sweep.But seriously, it's something worth practicing against. I watched a newbie at a tourney beat two very good grapplers with this move.

Fat Buddha is correct. You can use a head scissor from the bottom and get the DWL on the guys arm. I have no clue as to how you can work this move from the bridge as shown on the catchwrestle site. I've NEVER been able to get it to work this way.

kimura when sidemounted equals BAD. only ok if you use it to make space to establish a preferrable position, like kai said.

sreiter, you must be a bad ass blue, lol :)

Most of the time someone tries to kimura me from the bottom of sidemount, I armbar them on the other side. It's really hard to get away with a kimura from bottom of side mount. There is a shooto show where Carlos Newton does this to a dude, if you want to see it.

Greg

It is true that trying the Kimura while sidemounted opens you up to a spinning armbar on the other arm. One important indicator of whether your opponent can do this to you is his weight distribution.

If his weight is down (ie chest on your chest) and you get his arm up behind his body, it will be very difficult for him to get a spinning armbar. If, on the other hand, his weight is up, off your chest, then he has freedom to move and I would be very careful about pursuing the Kimura from the bottom.

Funny, we were just working this today, using the stuffed Kimura to create space to get back to guard if they scoot towards the legs or back up, or what is more common, rolling them when they scoot up towards the head.

ttt for rerox.

ttt