King's Dark Tower - SPOILER

I wanted to get opinions about the DT ending from people who made it all the way through.

I'm putting this in a separate thread to avoid spoiling it for anyone who hasn't finished the series yet.

SPOILER BELOW

After Roland's story resets, do you think it plays out much the same as before? Do you think he's joined by Jake, Eddie, and Susanna again?

I personally think the story changes slightly the next go around, as evidenced by his having the horn of Eld this time. I think he reaches the tower again, resets again, and there is another slight change to the story. But, still it's an endless cycle of reaching the tower and winding up back in the desert.

I also guess he "draws" 3 different people each time he goes through.

Why do you think he resets to the desert, instead of any other part of his life? I think it's because that was boundary between In-World and Mid-World. In-World was gone and Mid-World was in a state of flux, unstable, and malleable.

Was that scene (where he imagines he was in the tower) before or after his encounter with the bad town and the preacher lady? I can't remember.

Could Susanna really be happy with a variant Eddie and Jake? I thought that was weird. Eddie wouldn't really be Eddie without sage junkie Henry and his bad experiences. Jake wouldn't be Jake with bad dad Elmer and the nice lady who called him 'Bama. How could she love a substitute?

I thought Susanna's wrap-up was a bit of a cop out. It was an attempt at a happy ending for someone you knew had to go tragically. I think she should've died like the rest of the ka-tet.

But the tower climb and the "reset" where awesome, IMO.

The fact that I want to talk about it is what convinces me it was a good ending, despite all the criticism I could muster if I wanted to be picky. I'm glad I stuck it out.

I think the ending is really left for the reader to decide what happens.

IMO, a little bit changes each time, but yes, it will be an endless cycle.

I think he will keep pulling the same people

I'm with LeftBench - def get the feeling that there's something he has to atone for and in each cycle he does something better (more right ?) than previously and so get's nearer each time to actually finishing the journey/quest at the tower. Also agree that it'll be the same companions - got the feeling that maybe one of the things he's done right somewhere along the line is in saving Jake. Agree about the Susanah ending tho' - one of the few things that didn't work for me either.

^^ each to his own, I guess - but LOL at that last line.... :-) ^^

each cycle he does something better (more right ?) than previously and so get's nearer each time to actually finishing the journey/quest at the tower

Hey, that's a cool idea.

I thought it was interesting that the end implies that they were wrong about the immutable "key world". If Roland resets, then he's going back there again and it'll be 1999 all over again.

I think I want to believe he'll be drawing different people each time because I want to be drawn one of those times.

Possible labels on my door would be:

The Slacker

The Dork

The OGer

mine: The Procrastinater

Lol at those door labels - mine = The Faffer.....

mine: The Masturbator ;)

The door swung open and Roland found himself staring into a scene of unbelievable carnage. The end of a shotgun swung back and forth, firing with amazing speed, and striking vital targets with every shot. Heads exploded, arms flew off, and knees buckled beneath the endless barrage. Roland felt dizzy with the speed that the owner of these eyes ran, dodged, and jumped through a wrecked building.

"Finally," he thought, "I've been given a true gunslinger! This one needs no training. I have found death itself." He stepped through the door...

and found himself sitting on a soft seat. The floor in front of him was littered with drink containers and countless cigarette butts. The gory scene he'd witnessed through the door was just an image on a glowing box in front of him. In his hands, he held an odd-shaped device, covered in buttons, and with two sticks resting beneath his thumbs. From the owner's brain, he heard a word matched to this device. "Play-station."

Roland was very disappointed.

hHHAHAHAHA Willybone I am literally laughing out loud at that!!!!!

Very good !!!!

:-)

That ending stunk as much as the series eventually did. King proved that he is no Tolkien.

King proved that he is no Tolkien.

So, how many writers are Tolkien?

Um, none.
There was one once. Blarg hes ded n teh Shire.

started amazing, first book talked about different levels of kaat or whatever, and how he wasnt on a certain level so he still felt physical deprivation.

So what the fuck happened? only book worth reading is the first 2. rest just kept going down hill into unrealism and crap.

book 4 was the bomb

steven king forgot the face of his father

Absolutely amazing stories- i hope, for our sake, that it is never made into a movie/miniseries.

Absolutely amazing stories- i hope, for our sake, that it is never made into a movie/miniseries.

Loved it - I had a little different take on the ending, I assumed it meant that the next quest would be successful since Roland had the trumpet from Jericho Hill which he had never had before. I'm kind of a glass is half full type guy though.

The only way it would possibly work as a movie or miniseries is is HBO or Showtime developed it into a series, but I don't even want to see that. I think this is one series you don't want to mess with...unless they could get Rob Schneider to play Eddie...

Old thread but thought I'd add to it. I loved the ending. For me it meant he was stuck in the loop until he gave up the quest. He let Susanna die for the tower. He left a "son" and friends that he loved for his pursuit of the tower. The only way he would end the loop is if he gave up the obsession. Which seems likely he never will. Plus the "Wow, that is f@#ked up!" feeling I got at the end was worth the journey. That said I really didn't like the last book all that much until the end. The spider baby and the Artist erasing was a little bit lame.