Kitchen Confidential

I'm sure most of you have already read this, but if you haven't I would
highly recommend it.

Hilarious insight into the food industry by a very interesting character and
chef.

I would also recommend his fiction. It is very reminiscent of Elmore
Leonard, with a tinge of James Lee Burke.

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0747553556/
qid=1143772205/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_19_1/701-4592645-8480329

Anthony Bourdain is the man, really enjoyed his "cooks tour" program on foodnetwork, he also writes for "saveur" magazine.

the book "a cooks tour" was also excellent.

I second the recommendation of "A Cook's Tour," it's funny shit, some of it's even poignant.

That book dashed any dreams I had of doing anything food service.  I know he's talking high end restaurants compared to a rinky dink place I'd have but still.  Fuuuuuuck that. 

I loved that book - everything I loved & everything I hated about working in the food service industry.

(I have worked back & front of house - from dishwasher to prep. From gardmanger to line cook {well, saute & grill}. From waiter to bartender. From fast food to fine dining all from age 18 to 28, then again later for 2-3 years).

What have I learned from that experience? That I NEVER want to do that again. But could if necessary LOL!

great books. he has a new show on the travel channel called No Reservations, its great.

Tony Bourdain is the shit. No Reservations is in its second season, and the GF and I watch it religiously.