Knee brace

I am going to start training again next week, post meniscus op and with a 2 year lay off and I was wondering what people think the best knee brace for real support but also range of motion.

Thanks

after a full do-over on my left knee, i found that the only thing i could really get away with while crappling was one of the standard neoprene sleeves. i bought a couple and just wore the tightest one.

everything else has some kinda hard bits that caused problems in some way or another.

really, if it's just post menisectomy, you shouldn't need much more in the way of stability anyway. just take it easy. easier than that even, until you figure out how things work again.

Thanks for that advice, part of me just wants the brace to restrict my movement a little to stop me trying to explode out of shit.

But yeah the biggest issue will be keeping my ego in check. A bunch of the dudes I was on par with now have black belts and will be going back as a blue. Got to be humble or I'm fucked.

I had my knee scoped about 7 months ago. I tried 3 different braces & they were all a pain in the ass. I switched to a Bioskin sleeve & it provided just the support I needed. Bioskin is just as tight & supportive as neoprene, but much thinner & doesn't cut off circulation- but they are more expensive.

I haven't worn anything the last few weeks & so far so good.

I'll check out Bioskin, thanks

From all the reading I have done, most knee braces are not gonna give you proper support for your knee. I've also read the main Reason people think they work is the placebo effect. I'm not here to debate those of you that have had them and believe they work, I'm just stating what I have read. If they worked for you in the past....great keep wearing them.

My advice.

Look into kinesiology tape. Call a local physical therapy clinic and ask if anyone there can show you how to put it on for your situation and you can do it from then on. K tape is more customizable for each situation, whereas a knee brave is a very general application. Phone Post

Tore my MCL 11 days ago (Grade 2) and looing for a brace/tape myself. Looking to get back as soon as I can but was told I should wait about 3 months. I kind of want to roll a little next week. Anyone else tear an MCL? Kind of looking to see what I can expect.

Thanks

Maconhockey - Tore my MCL 11 days ago (Grade 2) and looing for a brace/tape myself. Looking to get back as soon as I can but was told I should wait about 3 months. I kind of want to roll a little next week. Anyone else tear an MCL? Kind of looking to see what I can expect.

Thanks

I had a grade 2 MCL sprain (tear) last year, and coming back from it too early is what led to my torn cartilage that required surgery. I took about 4 completely weeks off, then came back & went light for a few weeks. One day, I felt pain & my knee completely locked due to the cartilage being torn. I literally had to kick it loose so I could move it. This continued to get worse over the next several months, so I finally had an MRI & got it scoped. The knee still bothers me most days.

I still feel like if I had just taken 2 months off, I wouldn't have injured it further. My advice is wait until your knee is strong again to get back to training.

The folks who make Shock Doctor mouth guards now make knee braces: these are the best I have used (and I have had two ACL injuries, torn MCL & arthritis). They are constructed of different materials which allow the leg to breathe, and provide support where needed. The straps are thick and don't bind. Moreover, a model comes with flexible supports in the sides, which provides additional support but doesn't restrict movement or injure your parter as you roll. Dicks carries them, and I recommend you try them on for a snug fit. The best off the shelf supports, IMO. (Note: custom are expensive, i.e., $500,  bulky, and I have cut a training partner while trying to use it under the GI. Save your money!)

Thanks for the advice.
It does help to hear from people that have been in the same position as I am in now. 2-3 months sounds crazy to me but I am 37 and I am sure I wont heal as well as I once did. Part of me wants to adjust my game and try to roll but I am in this sport for the long haul so I will have to take care of myself in the process.