Knee on Belly: Positional Tips?

Definitely my worst top position, I think it's an awesome position but I find it so easy for my partner to escape.

I guess I am OK with a "floating" KOB where if they push me off I transition to side control, north south etc.

But....I want one of those immovable, crushing knee-on-bellies that makes people give up just from the pressure.

Tips?

Things that helped me:

Keep the top of your foot absolutely glued to the persons hip.

A great drill is to have neither you nor your partner use your hands. Go knee on belly and have them try to buck you off using only hip movements. You work to stay on by keeping the top of your foot glued to their hip and by using your other foot to apply the balance and pressure. AS you said, if they roll away from you, you simply fall into mount. Once you have mastered staying on top without hands, then adding the grips behind the collar and at the near knee, you can add a push/pull pressure that will feel completely devestating to your opponent.

If you really want to make it hurt, put your shin diagonally across their chest into their sternum.

Then, if you want to get nasty, grab both of their lapels and pull them into you while driving your knee down.

Grips

Starting from side control..thumb in collar behind head..other hand grabs belt at far hip..both hands making fist..pop up into KOB

The pulling pressure from these grips is tremendous

you also have a cross choke and baseball bat choke along with countering with a brabo

snakepitz - Grips

Starting from side control..thumb in collar behind head..other hand grabs belt at far hip..both hands making fist..pop up into KOB

you also have a cross choke and baseball bat choke along with countering with a brabo

this is the way to do it

Rolamos -  Things that helped me:

Keep the top of your foot absolutely glued to the persons hip.

A great drill is to have neither you nor your partner use your hands. Go knee on belly and have them try to buck you off using only hip movements. You work to stay on by keeping the top of your foot glued to their hip and by using your other foot to apply the balance and pressure. AS you said, if they roll away from you, you simply fall into mount. Once you have mastered staying on top without hands, then adding the grips behind the collar and at the near knee, you can add a push/pull pressure that will feel completely devestating to your opponent.

Couldn't agree more.

Also i use Knee on belly alot to calm the other person down and use it as a transition point. I'f at anytime you feel like your going to get bucked off or don't feel completely comfortable go to side control.

One thing, KoB is a control position. You have to move off of it to do a sub. It's not a bad place to throw a couple shots, but it's transitional, unless your opponent is unskilled and just collapses on his back.

Use it when the opponent is already tired. A fresh opponent can easily escape unless you are very skilled.

You're essentially surfing the guy. Move from KoB, to reverse KoB, to mount to side control, to N-S, S-position and back. Get good at making those transitions, work them as a drill (mobile top control) before you rely too much on it in rolling.

Know where and when to be tight. Foot glued to the hip, pressure on the sternum.

Kill the near arm, control the free arm, driving it up towards his head. Get and keep head control.

wouldn't disagree with above, but there are variations. I like to stay lower. Basically not too different than side control, then I put my elbow onto the guy's far hip as I trace my knee across his waste until my foot hooks onto his near hip. By using my elbow, my hand is somewhat free to scoop under his elbow and pry it away from his body as I crossface, or pummel for an underhook on his arm or even base it on the mat if I need.

Personally I like to get the point of knee into his diaphram or lower chest, not so much down by his waist. I do it because I know that I personally HATE it when it's done to me, it is incredibly uncomfortable and it makes thinking about what do to next very difficult.

snakepitz - Grips

I have a lot of success doing this. A lot. I think the key here is to keep your base, but to also be active with your attacks. In other words, just as your opponent is thinking 'wow, this dood is heavy', you start the attack at his neck. This really creates (mental) pressure as well and more often than not, the guy will stop thinking about getting you off position because he is so concerned about his neck.

Great thread and some great advice thanks !

Fuzzy Badfeet - 
WidespreadPanic -  One thing, KoB is a control position. You have to move off of it to do a sub. It's not a bad place to throw a couple shots, but it's transitional, unless your opponent is unskilled and just collapses on his back.
I disagree with this. I have a number off subs i hit from knee on belly no gi, and with the Gi there are too many submission variations to even count from KOB.  

I agree...tons of subs from there.

Also remember to keep your spine straight so all of your weight goes directly into them. Sometimes I have a tendency to lean over to reach for grips, but if you keep your spine straight you are going to have some great pressure.