Knife attack on LEO

"Real Fights happen in the space of a phone booth"

One of my Law Enforcement friends was stabbed in the shoulder this week responding to a call. It all happened in that small "phone booth" area occupied by 2 officers and one suspect. The officers responded to a report of someone, with a history of mental instability, who had tried to set a neighbors wood pile on fire. When they got there, the suspect came to the door with bloddy hands. He ran from the officers up the stairs of his home. Knowing the suspect's history, they proceeded after him thinking he may be a danger to himself. At the top of the stairs he produced a steak knife and swung at one of the officers. He tried to get him in an armbar, but because he was lower than the suspect on the stairs, the suspect had all the leverage. The blade broke on the protective vest but the officer was still cut 3 inches in the shoulder. He was then struck repetedly with the wooden handle in the back of the head. The second officer fired and killed the suspect. All this happened in seconds and in that phone booth sized area.

The officer is fine now. I talked with him Friday and the attack was on Monday. He was still sore on the back of the head and the shoulder where he has 8 stiches to close up the knife wound.

Hal Pierce
PDR Team

Great Story Hal and Im glad the offcer is fine and
please give my congrats to the backup
officer...excellent reaction on his part as things
couldve gotten uglier fast.

Ironically today at the PDR Instructor class we
were talking about the reality of preparing for real
fight and how often people do not realize the TCMS
maxim 'Real fights happen...'

For those of you reading, remember this: Real
fights nver occur where you want them to, when
you want them or how youwant them to, the trick
therefore is to replicate the imagined scenarios,
dangers, postions and agression and then train
from there.

So as soon as you have an inlking of blance and
grasp the idea of torque and timing you need to get
your tools into real-world simulations.

TOny

Tony,

I just read the newspaper report on it. I'll cut it out and fax it to the office.

Hal

Excellent story!

Great work on the part of the officers.

Hal, if this officer trains with you try to do some debriefing and replication with him and show him the elements of his innate survival system that saved his life. You will find that some primal or protective evolution of the SPEAR System prevented the shoulder stab from being a more lethal wound.

Tony Torres
VA Beach, VA