Kobe : Team USA beats Dream Team

You guys aren't going to believe this, but Kobe Bryant thinks that a team that features him could beat a team that doesn't feature him. No, I know -- crazy, right? During a break in Team USA's Las Vegas training camp, where the U.S. men's national basketball team is scrimmaging with its young counterparts on the Select Team and preparing to vie for gold in a little over two weeks at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, Bryant was asked how he thought this year's model would fare against the 1992 squad, better known as the "Dream Team," that first pitted American professional basketball players against global competition. [ Photos: USA Men's Basketball National Team roster ] Featuring an array of all-time talent unmatched in the history of the game, the Dream Team roundly mopped the floor with their opponents in Barcelona, stampeding to a gold medal by an average margin of victory of 44 points per game. Their unquestioned, unparalleled dominance has led many to refer to that '92 squad, celebrating its 20th anniversary this year, as the greatest team ever assembled in any sport. Unsurprisingly, Kobe thinks his guys could take 'em. Faced with the question, the Los Angeles Lakers star -- renowned for both the athletic brilliance and competitive fire that have made him a 14-time NBA All-Star, five-time NBA champion and the fifth-leading scorer in NBA history -- didn't miss a beat. [ Photos: No-lympians: NBA pros not playing in London ] "Well, just from a basketball standpoint, they obviously have a lot more size than we do -- you know, with [David] Robinson and [Patrick] Ewing and [Karl] Malone and those guys," Bryant said. "But they were also -- some of those wing players -- were also a lot older, at kind of the end of their careers. We have just a bunch of young racehorses, guys that are eager to compete. "So I don't know," Bryant continued, the trace of a smile beginning to play its way across his face. "It'd be a tough one, but I think we'd pull it out." The immediate response to this, predictably, has largely been to call Kobe's claim ridiculous. After months spent very justifiably feting the Dream Team in celebration of its 20th anniversary, folks have a hard time believing that Bryant's still in touch with his senses if he thinks that this 2012 squad would be able to hang with a roster that featured not only the Hall of Fame frontcourt players he mentioned, but also Charles Barkley, Clyde Drexler, Magic Johnson, Scottie Pippen and, of course, Michael Jordan.

mamba's mileage showing on the face too now ... great player.

In single elimination, I could see it happening.

But I'm a guy who believes todays players are considerably more skilled and slightly more talented than those of the dream team era.

id go with dream team 1

there is no way in hell Team USA of 2012 would beat Dream Team 1 ....plz...that is just not happening

Dream Team member Barkley said that he "just started laughing" upon hearing Bryant's comment and that the Dream Team would win by double digits. Jordan added, "For [Bryant] to compare those two teams is not one of the smarter things he ever could have done... Remember now, they learned from us. We didn't learn from them."

Seriously Dangerboy? 92 outsizes them at almost every position. At the frontline alone you have got Chandler, Love, and Davis trying to take on Robinson, Ewing, Malone, and Barkley. That is such a monumental mismatch it isn't even funny. You might be able to make an argument for some of the other positions, but I don't think even then that we would see such a steep disparity in talent.

That quote by Jordan is awesome. Sums it up, nothing else to say really.

Kobe just got sat the fuck down by the GOAT

2012 wins,Dream Team lost to a bunch of college kids twice.

No they lost one game because chuck daly threw the game to make them realize they had actually take this seriously or risk embarassment. The second time they played as every one of those college players will admit, they didnt score a single point on the dream team.

In fact i think that college team that they were scrimmaging would probably beat this team usa because it was made up of the likes of a young grant hill, young penny, and young c webb. It sure wasnt a scrub team. Phone Post

from DIME magazine #62.(probably the only time you'd hear about the third game)

DIME:You played on the greatest team that no one knows about,the Team USA Development squad that beat the Dream Team while they were preparing for the '92 Olympics.What was that like,as a college kid,going against the greatest roster ever assembled?

Penny:It was exciting because I was playing against the guys I admired, my idols, from Michael Jordan to Magic Johnson to Lary Bird, Clyde Drexler, Scottie Pippen,all of those guys.And my whole mindset was to kill them. Because if I didn't, I knew they wouldn't respect my game.I went into those practices in kill mode,no lie!

Dime:And even though it was a scrimmage, you guys beat them.

Penny:I always hoped somebody would tell the true story.We beat them the first time and legend is that they turned on the jets and blasted us.Man,we beat them twice!We were raw!We had a crew-me,Bobby Hurley,Chris Webber,Grant Hill,Rodney Rogers,Jamal Mashburn,Allan Houston.We were a force to be reckoned with,bro.

as far as throwing the game,it was only an opinion by Coach K,his quote even says Daly never told the assistant coaches(or anyone,prob cause he never planned on throwing the game).how does one throw a scrimmage game anyway when you have a prime Jordan,Pippen,Drexler,Barkley,D-Rob,,Malone?against a college team that never played with each other?

the whole dream team documentary was kind of weird anyways,they had access to Chris Webber,Jamal Mashburn,Penny Hardaway,Allan Houston,Grant Hill,all who does broadcast work for NBA TV,they could've interviewed them about beating the Dream Team twice,but for some reason,elected not to.they should just show the video.

it wasn't uncommon for college players to beat NBA allstars,Jordan and team USA in 82(?) beat Magic and other NBA all stars too.

quick - Dream Team member Barkley said that he "just started laughing" upon hearing Bryant's comment and that the Dream Team would win by double digits. Jordan added, "For [Bryant] to compare those two teams is not one of the smarter things he ever could have done... Remember now, they learned from us. We didn't learn from them."

Seriously Dangerboy? 92 outsizes them at almost every position. At the frontline alone you have got Chandler, Love, and Davis trying to take on Robinson, Ewing, Malone, and Barkley. That is such a monumental mismatch it isn't even funny. You might be able to make an argument for some of the other positions, but I don't think even then that we would see such a steep disparity in talent.

With single elimination, I could see it happening the way a #15 seed can upset a #2 in the NCAA tourney. Dream Team one is way too big if it were any type of series.

EKPOGI - as far as throwing the game,it was only an opinion by Coach K,his quote even says Daly never told the assistant coaches(or anyone,prob cause he never planned on throwing the game).how does one throw a scrimmage game anyway when you have a prime Jordan,Pippen,Drexler,Barkley,D-Rob,,Malone?against a college team that never played with each other?

the whole dream team documentary was kind of weird anyways,they had access to Chris Webber,Jamal Mashburn,Penny Hardaway,Allan Houston,Grant Hill,all who does broadcast work for NBA TV,they could've interviewed them about beating the Dream Team twice,but for some reason,elected not to.they should just show the video.

it wasn't uncommon for college players to beat NBA allstars,Jordan and team USA in 82(?) beat Magic and other NBA all stars too.

Well for one thing jordan didnt play very much at all in that first game. And I would say coach k's words were a little more than just his gut opinion he seems 100 percent certain that ddaly thew the game. But since he is dead we will never know for sure Phone Post

^so how much did Jordan play in the first game?it was a 20min scrimmage,so Drexler or Pippen took his spot for a couple of minutes?did Daly take Jordan out coz Penny,Houston,Grant Hill and Mashburn was giving him the business?Larry Bird said on the Dan Patrick show they lost to that squad fair and square.they have the final score of that first game,even video of the final score,but they never show the score of the 2nd game,where the NBA players killed them.

also Coach K's words does not=Coach Daly's words.

wonder why they wont show the NBA score hmmm??

Dream Team 1 may beat Dream Team 2012 by as much as 30 points.

Almost all those players were in their peak primes in 1992, expect Magic and Larry.

The likes of Malone and Barkley were averaging around 29 ppg in the NBA in 92. They had 2 real centers in 92, Robinson and Ewing in their primes.

Forget it.

Lastly Prime Michael Jordan > any prime basketball player ever.

Kobe is like 35 years old, twilight of his career.

Magic Johnson laughing at Kobe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCdpL-dp8NM

This drem team forgot to have depth at center.Chandlar cant hold Ewing or Robinsons bags

true,it's not like a center like Dino Radja would do damage against Ewing and D-Rob.or someone like Eric Montross.