Korea Training

Just got to Korea and was wondering if anyone knows where to train in Seoul or in Yongsang. I went to all the fitness centers on Base and there's Aikido, Hapkido, and TaeKwan Do but no boxing, wrestling, judo, jiu jitsu, grappling, mma etc. One guys said a SF soldiers has a small class he teaches but I can't get anymore information. I got a POC who trains up North in the 2 ID area but not down here.

thanks

Major Bob

SFC Al Siering is with HHC (Pathfinders) 17th Aviation BDE. He is a former instructor at the combatives facility and Jacare purple belt. Great guy, he would be a great guy to learn or roll with.

Great information, I'll track him down.

Major Bob

Major Bob, you seem knowledgable. Please see my other thread on helping out my battle buddy

Contrabando,

Huh? Not sure what you're talking about. What other thread? (Title??)

thanks

Major Bob

I believe its

"how do i help my battle buddy"

scroll down on the topics.

Sucks that I'm all the way down in Gunsan...

Mushu Dragon24,

My email address is:

robert.cejka@us.army.mil

I'm a bjj purple belt and going to work with the MWR to see if we can reserve the martial arts room at Trent Gym (Yongsan) and get a club going.

Standing by for directions and/or phone number to John Frankl's academy.

thanks

Major Bob

i was there 4 years ago and there was a muay Thai/ju-jitsu place neer Yaksu I do not know if it is stil there

Mushu Dragon24,

I just came of recruiting duty and travelled a lot through New England. Training was ad hoc. I got my purple belt prior to the assignment from Joao Morais, a bjj black belt uner Rigan Machado. Prior to that I trained with Frank Cucci (Pedro Sauer) in Virginia, prior to that North Shore Bjj in Hawaii, prior to that with a Special Forces black belt at Ft. Leavenworth and initially when I was in 3rd RGR BN prior to that. I'm looking forward to knocking the rust off the purple belt, getting back in grappling shape, and train with anyone who wants to train.

I did receive word from MWR that the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Club on Yongsan (Trent Gym) has been approved and will begin the first Saturday in October, the time slot is Saturday 1300 and I'm trying to get one night during the week but the space is being used by all the martial arts vendors who charge money. The Club will obviously be free and there for folks to train.

I did meet someone to train with today, meeting someone else tomorrow and again on Monday...so things are picking up.

take care,

Major Bob

Major Bob,

I am wondering if I can bring up about 10-15 guys that love to roll. The experience ranges from 2 weeks to 4 years. Styles ranging from Judo, Sambo, Submission Grappling and Jiu-Jitsu. We alternate Saturdays at CRC gym and Camp Stanley Gym @ 1000 hrs. Camp Stanley Gym has two wrestling mats.

SSG Aabid
016-892-3124
akil.aabid@us.army.mil

Hey SIR, when you trained w/ Frank did you know a guy named Ronny Cole. He's a purple belt that I'm starting to roll with some.

Still waiting on my grade determination, so I haven't talked w/ the CSM B.. But as soon as I find out something, I'll be in touch with him. Hopefully I'll find out something this week and get up and start working out my contract. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all your help sir!

vampire out,

gryphonwrestler,

We should start Saturday's 1300, first day will likely be 2 OCT. Still have to close loop with MWR but this is what I'm shooting for. I'm going TDY to the US from 14-24 SEP so can't start earlier.

Mushu Dragaon (aka Jeff) is at Camp Red Cloud and he came down to Yongson yesterday and we wore each other out.

This morning I ran in a 5k and met a guy named Mike who told me Tues/Thurs 1900-2100 a Bjj classes is given at the Hanaam Villiage Gym (Yongsan); instructors are Al Searing and a Korean bjj champion (Frank? not sure) - Mike says both are superb and they have a great group of guys from both the military and local community. I'm going to check that out this week.

Anyway, drop me an email and maybe I can come-up this Saturday or something: please include how I get there from Yongsan and where to go (I've only been here three weeks and haven't gone north yet).

robert.cejka@us.army.mil

thanks

Major Bob

Vampire 03,

I can't place the name Ronny Cole. I trained at Linxx with Frank from 2000-2002 when I was stationed in Virginia doing a Joint Tour. Frank was a great instructor, ran a very organized school, and his approach to teaching/methodology was superb. I wish I was still there because I'd be a lot better grappler than I am now.

Major Bob

I'm in Korea right now and I train at a boxing/muaythai gym in Kangnam. They dont speak much English but the coach trained in Thailand for 4 years and is very good. Their boxing, is fucking hadrcore. A lot of Olympians came out of the gym. PM for info.

daishan,

Where is Kangnam? Close to Yongsan?

Major Bob

Al Siering used to work here at the Combatives school. He is a purple under Jacare and a good friend of mine.

Matt

Matt,

I rolled with Al last night. He has a gig going Tues and Thurs nights and has 5-7 students. Was a good class and had a good time. He rolls very smoothly and has the perfect long/strong physique. Looks like things are picking up on Yongsan.

thanks

Major Bob

Mushu Dragon,

Do you ever get a chance to come to Yongsan Tue or Thurs nights at 1900? The class Al gives over at Hanaam Gym is really good and I think you'll do well with the other students.

Major Bob

Jeff,

Sure thing. Here is my number 016 892 3124. I have a friend of mine there named LT. Wilson. I just came out of the field.

Akil