Kosen Judo the First Two Videos

archive!

where and how much are these videos??

How do you order them?!!

Hi Mr. Tripp,

You can get these tapes? I haven't been able to locate the ones I am messing with- from the 80's thereabouts. I had a heckuva time getting these.I think the ones the newaza dojo in Tokyo made are a different.

Should I keep on with this post?

-Russ chan

archive please.....

Hi-

The only newaza judo videos I know of available on the net or really...anywhere...are from the Tokyo Newaza Dojo.
I am going to Japan at the end of June and will be in Tokyo, I can get ahold of these and distribute them when I get back or something.

If'n ya'all are interested give me a line and lets work that out..

-Russ chan
zappf@yahoo.com

Hi all !

OK I got the first two typed up. Hope they are all you expected!

-Russ chan

Title: "Nihon no Kobudo"
(Japan's ancient/old budo)
(1st video)
-Kosen Judo-
History of Techniques

From Tachi Waza
Ude Garami from Tachi Sugata
Ude Garami against Kame
1) When the opponent tries to pull you, counter with ouchigari to kesa gatame quickly.
2) From Tachi waza to ude garami.
3) When the opponent is turtling, ude garami and holding on to their own obi, "cut" through the arm, take the opponent over and pull his elbow (away from his belt).
Katame Waza
From wari komi
1)Cut in with the shoulder, lock the opponents crossed ankles and take the opponent to oku eri with your right hand. Your left hand goes to his shoulder while your press with your chest on him, undo the legs and then go into osae komi.
2a) This is when the opponent is pulling you; you sweep the opponents leg past and then press their chest/stomach with your knee. With your left hand you gently pull the opponent while your right hand goes to oku eri, then to osaekomi.
2b) Likewise, when the opponent is pulling you, sweep past his leg, your right hand goes to his okueri and then into shime waza.
2c) An example of juji gyaku , you adjust these techniques according to your opponent.
Tips: Lock the opponent with your knees. Pull the opponent with your left hand. Grab the opponent's okueri (firmly) with the right hand. When grabbing the opponent's oku eri it is important to twist the wrists.
Kuzure Kesa Gatame
How to Start
1) This is for when your opponent blocks high on your chest with both hands. With your right hand, restrict your opponent's freedom (movement), you use both knees. You enter between opponents locked hands and go to kuzure kesa. Tip: Your right hand movement and both of your knees are important.
Ushiro Sankaku Gatame
From the Top Position
1) You sweep the opponent then pull the opponent up and draw his back onto your chest and work to ushiro sankaku.
Okuri Eri Jime
1) You let your opponent move freely, then you go behind him. Use your opponents crossed wrists and work to okuri eri jime.
" Kaieshi (adjustment and variation) -reversal from the side to the head."
1b) This is the kaieshi waza to turn from the side to the head. You press the opponent down, grab the opponents obi at the back and push the their neck at the back with your left elbow at the same time. With your right hand lock the opponent's wrist and escape- turn sideways and quickly work to osaekomi.
1c) When the opponent moves back greatly you rise and push your chest in and flip the opponent using leverage.
2) Likewise, when you put your arm in and the opponent tries to push it out, in this case use the opponent's strength/momentum, twist and reverse.

From Hiki Komi Gaeshi to Osaekomi
1) You kick (push) the opponent?fs knee joint, twist him to the side and work to hiki komi gaeshi.
2) Likewise, twist the opponent to the side and work to hiki komi gaeshi.
Tate Shiho Gatame from Kaeshi Waza
1) Your opponent is on top and trying to attack. You grab the obi at his back and you thrust their knees down then reverse- working to shiho gatame.
2) (slow motion) Grab the obi at the back, thrust your opponent?fs leg just above the kneecap, legs having to be at a 90 degree angle, reverse and put your arm around opponent?fs neck and grab your own obi (neck crank). Your left hand is locking his right hand reversibly. Lock his head and his right hand while working to tate shiho gatame.
3) Left leg goes to the inside of the opponent?fs leg and flips, working to tate shiho gatame.
4) Grab the obi at the front and flip opponent then work to tate shiho gatame.
Hikake Kuzure uei Shiho Gatame
1) How to attack when the opponent is struggling. (slow motion) Your left-hand grabs opponents collar at the rear, your right hand grabs the obi at the back, use your left arm as a ?ghook?h and flip opponent sideways. You push your opponent down in ?getachi osae?h, grab opponents collar at the rear and put your weight on his left shoulder and lock them in.
Hagaijime and Sankaku Jime from the bottom position
1) You pull and work to hagai jime from the bottom. It is important to hold opponent?fs right arm and grab their collar. (2 parts)
2) With you knees you sweep their left and the opponent leans forward then you work to sankaku jime.
Sankaku and Variations
1) How to start Sankaku jime. You flip your opponent with tomeonage as you hold opponents left leg. Then work to yoko sankaku. Yoko Sankaku jime is a extreme (essence) of kosen judo. Students study their own version of how to apply it.
2) Perform yoko sankaku jime. Press the back of the opponent?fs left arm (2 parts).
3) Likewise, do yoko sankaku jime and press the back of the opponent?fs right arm.
4) Sankaku jime is a technique that can be done at any angle. (2 parts)
5) Tai gatame and ude hishigi- your stretch both of your legs, break down the opponent?fs shoulder then rise (3 parts).
6) hasami Gyaku- with your legs, you squeeze the opponent?fs arms, flip them onto their back and work to hasami gyaku (3 parts).
Sankaku Jime(B&W segment)
1) Sankaku Jime from the bottom position.
2) Sankaku Jime from the top position.
3) (color) The members of kosen judo believe that the final waza (ending) is katame waza. They spent their training to develop their own variations and it was at such a high level that it will make (has) a great contribution to the future of judo in Japan.
Kosen Quote:
?gKosen Judo is a technique that was developed by many youngsters who gave their everything (time and life) to develop it; especially their creation of newaza. Japanese Judo should return to the basics starting with newaza. _Yasushi Enoue
(end of 1st video)

?gKosen Judo- the Essence of Newaza?h
?gAttacks and Defenses of Newaza?h

From Tachi Waza to Newaza
1) To work to newaza from tachi waza first you unbalance the quickly work to ude hishigi juji gatame. (2 parts)
2) Make the opponent off balanced from ouchi gari then work to kata gatame. If the ?ggame?h doesn?ft end with tachi smoothly work to newaza like a flowing river. (2 parts)
3) From osoto makikomi to kesa gatame.
4) Make your opponent offblanced with ouchi gari and work to yoko shiho gatame. (2parts).
5) From Tachi to ude gaeshi (2 parts).
6) When the opponent tries to perform seoinage, unblaance them and work to kuzure kami shiho gatame.
Hiki Komi to Kaeshi Waza
1) From tomeonage, to tate shiho gatame. Think (ahead) of the process to newaza and work from tomeonage. You stay close to the opponent and turn as the opponent does, riding their lower back ?glike a horse?h quickly working to tate shiho gatame (3 parts).
2) From tomeonage to kesa gatame (2 parts).
3) From yoko sutemi to kesa gatame (2 parts)
4) Kani basami- you become parallel to the floor and squeeze the opponents legs with your legs and twist him as you squeeze, flipping them down. (2 parts)
5) Sensei talks: ?gYou make the opponent off balance diagonally, kicking the opponents hip bone with your heel; fold them in half and make a 90 degree angle and then take the obi (hiki komi gaeshi). Take the obi and work to kaeshi waza.?h
6) Hikikomi is a technique that you can use to defend against the opponent?fs attacks and is also a step to the next attack. (2 parts)
6b) ?gPull your opponent and grab his obi at the back, lock his arms and flip sideways, then reverse and flip in the opposite direction. You can do it either way depending on your opponent?fs position. ?g
7) Grab the obi at the side, use your legs and flip them (2 parts).
8) Grab the obi at the back and turn over while locking them. (3-parts & slow motion).
9) Kusa Kari from the hiki komi position. Quickly grab the opponents leg and work to kusa kari with the opposite leg, making them unbalanced. (2 parts).
10) Example of kusa kari (2 parts).
11) Mae kazushi gaeshi (2 parts).
12) Grab his belt at the front and quickly grab the leg making them unbalanced.
13) Ude hishigi hiza gatame gaeshi (2 parts)
Offense and Defense of Newaza
1) Lets introduce how to work to newaza which is how to use your legs. You pull the opponent and lock their shoulders, pressing them down. (2 parts)
2) Your sweep the opponents leg (closer look).
3) Sweep opponents leg and enter (2 parts).
4) Sweep the opponents hand that is gripping your collar and sweep his legs to enter (2 parts).
5) Separate the legs and entering- when you push and grab the opponent?fs oku eri with your right hand and lock his shoulder with your left hand, press your chest onto them and undo the legs.
6) You restrict the opponent?fs freedom (movement) with your knee and adjust accordingly to your opponent.
7) Put your knee between the opponent?fs legs. Lock the opponent?fs thighs and work to osaekomi (2 parts).
8) Hold the opponent?fs legs, lock the opponent?fs arms with your knees, Take the opponent?fs right hand and pull it to their back- then work to osaekomi.(3 parts)
9) To escape, turn over while the opponent tries to lift your legs.
10) From the bottom, take the collar with both hands and work to mae jime.
11) Lift the opponent?fs one leg, work to osaekomi as you lock their upper arm with your knees.
12) Lock their one leg, pulling close and crawl up their body to work to osaekomi (2 parts.)

13) Lock opponents legs, quickly turn .
Sensei talks: ?gWhen you work to newaza from tachi waza, you attack at once, don?ft take a breath until you have locked your opponent like this (fully incapacitated). To lock his shoulder means to grab the obi at the back and lock his head with your elbow. Don?ft push him down, but more like pushing upwards from a lower position, press your knee into their hipbone, pull your backside. Do not extend your legs because the opponent can do niju garami, let him squeeze only your ankle. Keep your knee out. Take a breath with this position and then work to various osaekomi or gyamu shime. This is the basic position of locking the shoulder. Another way of locking is by putting your shoulder to the side first and locking them, then take a breath. Attack from this position. These are two ways of locking, use the one you like, then move on to osaekomi or gyaku shime. ?g
14) Sensei talking: ?gRight before you move on to osaekomi, first lock his shoulders and (make sure to) lock them really hard even if they are struggling, so he is immobile. Pull only your knee free so he cannot do niju garami., let him squeeze your ankle. There are many ways to free your knee- to pull your knee and work to yoko shiho, press your fist into the inner thigh and push his knee away with your foot.?h
15) (still talking) ?gPull in a way that you can work to tate shiho. First, hook his arm and lock him tight. Get on top of the opponent, slide your legs out from between his with a sharp friction like action.?h
16) (still talking)To work to kesa gatame from this postion you twist your knees to the inside and hook his arm, kick (push) and press down, like this.
17) (still talking)To work to katagatame, again grab the hand that is locking the shoulder and hook their neck. Hold his shoulder and go under. Get ready for katagatame like this, then pull your leg like this. This is katagatame.
18) (still talking) ?gHow to leg scissor in niju garame?h (3 parts).
19) (still talking) ?gHow to counter niju garame. First move downward and stretch your leg that was scissored and undo one of the legs?h. (double niju garame) (3 parts).

How to Counter Turtling
1) Work to hadaka jime. Sensei talks: ?gGrab his collar and belt, hook your leg and rise. Sit on his lower back like riding a horse. Thrust him forward and do like this (stretch out your body). Then they will flatten out. Then work to hadaka jime.?h (narrator) (You can also work to ukuri eri jime from this position.)
2) Sensei Talks ?gThere are many ways to counter turtling from the ?eriding like a horse?f position. This is osaekomi from okuri eri jime?h.
3) (still talking) :?hTate shiho gatame from okuri eri jime?h.
4) (still talking) ?gWork to ushiro sankaku gatame?h.
5) (still talking) ?gTaking yoko jime- to work to yoko jime you hook your opponent, not letting them rise. Push your hand like this, brab hos collar and then lower collar. Put your leg forward and choke the opponent?h.
6) (still talking)?hTaking jigoku jime?h. (2 parts)
7) (still talking) ?gYour left hand grabs the collar at the rear, the right hand the belt in the rear. Hook his head with your left arm and flip him over?h.
8) (still talking) ?gQuickly jump to his back and flip him over?h. (2 parts)
9) (still talking) ?gHook both the opponent?fs elbows and flip him over?h.
10) (still talking) ?gHook the opponent?fs far knee, press your weight against them and flip them over?h (2 parts).
11) (still talking) ?gTaking mae jime?h (2 parts).
12) (still talking) ?gTaking yoko sankaku jime?h (3 parts).
13) (still talking) ?gEri Tori Gaeshi?h (2 parts)
14) (still talking) ?gFirst you grab your opponents wrist really tight and then press your shoulder against them. Then pull hard to the side that you are on, (work to ude hishigi).
Narrator: This is ude hishigi from a different angle. (2 parts)
15) Narrator: From ude garami and then osae komi, countering the turle is studied from various angles(2 parts).
16) In kosen judo they try not to show their back to the opponents and they never stop attacking even if they are made to turtle. They would grab the opponent?fs gi or obi and move to attack.
17) Kosen judo was built with harsh training and left many great newaza to the judo world. Newaza with a great tradition is the fruit of the fighting spirit and daily training of the student judoka.
Newaza proverb: ?gJudo with no thinking does not grow strong?h.
(end of 2nd video)

Whew! Okay I will get the rest as soon as I get off my duff and type the monster!

-Russ chan

Folks, just order the tapes!!!!!

done, keep writing!!!!!

We all should get these tapes!

I wish I knew how to get these tapes!

Ok guys,

This June I am going to Japan. Near where I am staying is a video store that carries the Tokyo Newaza Dojo (different to the ones I translated) tapes, but they do not accept credit cards. So, what I think is best if you want me to get the Tokyo Dojo's tapes is : send the store a check -(for two tapes it's like $120, the yen is strong now so it will be a little less, but then raise up again because of tax)- I'll drop in and pick them up, carry them back with me to avoid the $30 shipping fee from Japan, I'll send them to you via USP (like $6 bucks). SO far this is just and idea and I am not sure how this will work out when the details are culled as to what can be done, but i'll give it a try!

-Russ chan

Kosen Judo:
Essence of Newaza

Shime waza and Kansetsu Waza

Shime waza:

Juji shime and mae shime
1) Sensei talks: "Mae jime is also called juji jime because you grab the opponent's collar with your hands crossed. There are three types of juji- #1) is nami juji (normal) when you grab the collar (with the hands) in the same direction. #2) is gyaku juji (or) grabbing with the hands palm up. #3) Kata juji- one hand palm up the other palm down. Kata juji is the basic one and so I am going to explain kata juji jime. Grab the opponent's collar on the side, press the base of your thumb into the neck artery (big blood artery). Put your opposite hand around (the head and grab their collar), then pull them to your chest. Do not sprawl your arms but keep them pressed to your body, then choke. If you cannot put your left hand around, you can grab their mondokoro (where the family emblem is on the back of the gi, between the shoulders) and choke. To lock them completely, hook their arm, take their collar and pull to your chest- choking them like I explained- that way the opponent cannot escape."
2) Narrator- From the tachi position to juji jime (2 parts). The moment you come together you take the front of his collar and then grab their side collar and choke.
3) Grabbing the front of the opponent's collar and choking. (3 parts).
4) Juji jime from the bottom. (4 parts) Make sure you leg scissor opponent and let it go. 3rd part: Close while pulling.
5) Juji Jime from the side (2 parts).
6) Juji jime against turtling, Juji Jime is possible from the top, bottom, side and from various angles and you have many possibilities to use it. It is also important as a transition technique to other waza. (2 parts).
7) Sensei talks: "When the opponent grabs your side collar and you feel like he will do mae jime, pull your chin first. Next, when the opponent goes like this (around head) put your hand in here (between arms) and hold your own head (at the rear). By doing this you can avoid mae jime." Narrator: Let's look at this again from a different angle. (Sensei says same thing.)
Okuri Eri Jime
1) Sensei Talks: "Important points in okuri eri is not that you stretch your legs but to squeeze them (to the groin) ,grab both of the opponent's collars and open them. Pull his back close to you and then release your right hand. Then enter your right hand inside and under the opponent's chin and grab the collar, moving it downward, (with the left hand- tightening the choke). When it is pulled down far enough, you grab the other side."
3) (still talking): "Your left hand grabs the opponent's collar. Your right hand uses three fingers together and twists (under the chin) to reach the other collar and then choke." (from the back)
4) (still talking) "When the opponent is turtling and doing a good job, you grab the collar and belt at the rear, hook your leg (inside theirs) and ride them like a horse, flattening them out. Force your hands down underneath their chin and grab the collar, choke here" (uke says ouch).
5) Narrator: Okuri eri jime from the side: It's important that it's not done by pulling but done by squeezing your elbows close and twisting your wrists to do okuri eri jime. (2 parts).
6a) how to escape from eri jime.
6b) With both hands lift the opponents arm and escape.

Hadaka Jime
1) Sensei Talks: "Yank opponent's collar, with the left arm reach under (the neck) and hold your wrist as you push your opponent's shoulder. Push it back and to the side while lifting the arm."
2a) Narrator: Hadaka jime from the top.
2b) Hadaka jime is a technique to choke with your arms. It's essential that your arms are on the opponent's throat.
Kata Hajime
1) Kata hajime is a kind of okuri eri jime but it's a technique to lock one arm like an open wing (4 parts).
Yoko Jime
1) Sensei talks: "To do yoko jime first put your knees under the opponent's chest and hook them tight, so they cannot rise (push under the chin and grab the collar), and then grab the other collar. Thrust foreward (sit though with left leg) and pull your knee" (up to the top of the opponent's head).
Jigoku Jime
1) Narrator: With you leg at a 90 degree angle, hook the opponents arm and wor kto jigoku jime. (2 down, 2 standing).
Ude Shibori
(or kote jime)
1) Take the opponent's from collar and stretch your arm using leverage, the focal point is on your hand which is around their neck- choke (3 parts).
Sankaku Jime
1) (Black and White film) Narrator: Proper sankaku jime from the bottom.
2) Proper Sankaku jime from the top. There are proper Sankaku jime, side, back and reverse depending on the position, you can do this from any angle.
3) Sweep the opponent's left hand with you knee, let him lean forward and work to proper sankaku jime (2 parts).
4) Proper Sankaku jime (2 parts).
5) How to enter sankaku jime. Press his leg and flip him over by tomeo nage and then work to sankaku jime.
6) Sankaku jime is the ultimate place (for) kosen judo. Each student fits it to themselves. (2 parts).
7) Yoko sankaku against turtling. (2 parts)
8) Go behind the opponent and apply sankaku jime form the reverse (rear) position.
Kansetsu Waza

Ude Hishigi Juji Gatame
(or juji gyaku)
1) Sensei Talks: "In juji gyaku, (squeeze) the opponent below the joint (elbow) very well and twist so that the opponent;s body and yours are a 90 degree angle. Press his thumb down and press the belly up, taking the lock".
2) Ude hsihigi juji gatame from the standing position. (2 parts).
3) From the top.
4a) From the side
4b) Cut in and (then enter) from the side. In ude hishigi juji gatame put the thumb up and pull in the direction of the pinky finger.
5a) From the bottom.