Koshek fight was stopped way too early

Too early.

I'm not a Kos fan by any means but... the ref was behind Paulo when he landed the uppercut and the hook. And those that are saying that his eyes were rolled back, lol, well there's no way you can see that from the footage.

Let me ask you: If you were in Koscheck's corner, would you have thrown in the towel at that point? I know I wouldn't have.

(still not a Kos fan)

The stoppage was on time. Kos' eyes were showing it, he did not put his hands up to defend. He was about to eat a huge punch. The ref did a good job. I hate early stoppages too, this just wasn't one of them.

DMC - He was out. Good stoppage.

Fans of his are just pissed cos he lost to a fighter he beats 9 times out of 10.

He'll be back - he just got caught.
he wasn't out dude, i don't know what fight you were watching, but you are a complete idiot

"The stoppage was on time. Kos' eyes were showing it, he did not put his hands up to defend. He was about to eat a huge punch. The ref did a good job. I hate early stoppages too, this just wasn't one of them."

WTF? What fight were you watching. The one i saw had Kos have his hands up to defend and his legs in the guard position. Thiago was not about to do anything. After he dropped he just stood there hesitating

Steve Montgomery - 
DMC - He was out. Good stoppage.

Fans of his are just pissed cos he lost to a fighter he beats 9 times out of 10.

He'll be back - he just got caught.
he wasn't out dude, i don't know what fight you were watching, but you are a complete idiot

Thanks Steve - you seem like a cool guy.

Didn't say (or mean) he was 'out cold' but he was out in the sense that he wasn't able to intelligently defend hiimself. Seems most people on here agree with me. We're probably all 'complete idiots'. Have a good day bro.

The SECOND he hits the ground, he is propping himself up with his hands. That is no fuckin KO

Lavigne or even Maz would never have done that

I hate Koz and am in no way a fan...Allthough i think he kinda did get robbed

Kos was on queer street. It was a flash KO, but a KO nonetheless. The ref can look right into a fighter's eyes, so I won't second guess them.

Naughty Gorilla - The SECOND he hits the ground, he is propping himself up with his hands. That is no fuckin KO

Lavigne or even Maz would never have done that
No he isn't. He hits the canvas flat and limp, his head bounces off the canvas and that wakes him up from KTFO to just dazed.  Good stoppage, if the ref lets Thiago smash his face a couple times everybody would be complaining bout the late stoppage.

You people need to stop saying it was a good stoppage just because Rogan said it.

Give me a break.

MMA is not supposed to be stopped on flash knockdowns.

The people who support the stoppage are basing it on their opinion that Kos wouldn't have been able to defend himself.

Well, we don't know that. It's pure speculation, b/c it was stopped too soon to determine this.

It is VERY, VERY possible that Kos would have kept Thiago away with his feet or tied him up for a few seconds and recovered. In fact, I think this is VERY likely to have happened. Especially since Thiago was slow in attacking Kos after the knockdown.

If you can say it is likely that Kos would have recovered, then the stoppage was too early.

I'm with DMC. He was hurt very badly. Just look at his eyes. His "getting up" looked more like his body convulsing. If you're a referee, you have to err on the side of caution and step in to prevent serious injury. I've seen much worst stoppages, and when it happened, I turned to my wife and said "Some complete idiot on the underground will think that Koscheck was fine and that was an early stoppage" :)

Watching Koschecks movements after he hits the floor tells me that he had regained enough of his senses to defend himself.

*He starts to get back up (just a split second)but realizes that Thiago is way to close & lays back down.  

it seemed like a couple of fights were stopped a little too early imo. most of them, i don't think it would have changed the outcome at all if they would have been allowed to continue. i think the fact that it was on spike might have had something to do with it; especially after that brutal fucking fight for the troops that was on. maybe they are trying to keep it mainstream?

A stopage doesnt have to be a clean your out stoppage. But clearly 1 or 2 more punches would have put him there. he was on queer street and might have half ass defended a couple of blows but he was not in any condition to continue. I think it was a great stopage. Why let an opponet who is out for all intensive purposes but 1 or 2 more shots would knock him out cold or cause damage. All he could have done was put his hands up but not stop any hard blows. Would you rather him take more shots, watch his head bounce off the mat and be out cold. Good stopage, any other comment to the contrary is ignorant speaking. Period

Good Stoppage

All that would have happened was Kos getting cracked and Ko'd ... actually on second though - they should have let it run longer

"he did not put his hands up to defend."

Yes he did. He put up his legs, too, to keep Thiago away.

You can see in the gif he got dropped, put his hands back to steady himself or possibly get up, thought better of it, and put up his hands and feet to keep Paulo away from him.

Shit stoppage, and this loss -- like most in MMA -- has pretty serious career implications.

Jordan Breen wrote an article that encapsulates exactly how I feel. All the whining about Mazzagati and co has led to this iffy situation where I'm pretty sure ref's are feeling pressured not to get the same abuse. The Koscheck fight wouldn't have been different if it ran a few more seconds, so in that respect I think it was a reasonable enough stoppage. But for the elimination of any dount or debate, I wouldn't want this to become the norm.

'If MMA is to be genuine, it can't degenerate into a sport in which the "best" fighter is simply the first to land a meaningful strike. This sport is wild and woolly enough as it is, so it hardly needs any artificial insanity. Every iffy UFC 95 bout, if given those few extra punches, may have ended with the exact same man's hand being raised, and so be it. But let them decide, and let there be no debate.'

Full article at http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/the-offense-of-intelligent-defense-16300

Guys have been knocked out and had their hands held straight up in the air
before. However, to be fair, I think Kos suffered a flash knock out and was
shook awake when his head hit the mat. Could he have continued? Maybe.
But he was hurt pretty bad.

"The Koscheck fight wouldn't have been different if it ran a few more seconds, so in that respect I think it was a reasonable enough stoppage."

Here is the point of contention.

This is not at all clear. I believe it was VERY likely that Kos could have survived and IF he had survived, it was likely the outcome would have been different.

Kos only needed a few seconds to recover, as evidenced by how quickly he was back to normal after the stoppage. He was in a good guard position, and Paulo was taking his time attacking. All Kos had to do was keep him away with his feet or tie him up with his hands for 3-4 seconds, and the fight likely would have been different.

To say he simply couldn't do this is wrong. We don't know, but it was certainly a likely possibility.

This is why fights should not be stopped prematurely, as this fight so clearly was.

Not waaay too early, but too early imo.  Koscheck was aware when he kicked up his legs to defend and then took the opportunity to try to get up when he saw an opening.  I think 75% chance he would have been TKOd within 10 seconds of the knockdown, but he still had a chance.