kung fu guy

"Oh, then why bother teaching Dim Mak? lol "

He doesn't teach 'dim mak'. Dim Mak is not an actual martial art, anymore than 'joint locking' is.

He says he's used his internal MA styles to throw people around and stuff. I bvelieve him, his guys are all pretty tough, do MMA-type stuff, one of his guys likes to go full-contact with sticks, no padding.

The fact is, most of the guys on this site don't know good TCIMA, never saw it, or even know what it looks like.

Cartmell even wrote a book "passing the guard" which received rave reviews on this very forum, but none of them knew he was into TaiJi, BaGua and stuff. He was also a PanAm champ at purple and I think brown as well.

Maybe you should ask yourself why he teaches all that stuff - maybe you should wonder if maybe, just maybe, after receivibng his BB in BJJ, that he may see value in his TCIMA even from that perspective, and maybe, just maybe, he is right, and knows something you don't.

Watch out fot that metal thing there, watch out for that metal thing!

"No disrespect Cannibal, but I believe you live in St Pete and I think you are new to the area. There is no grappling or MMA in St Pete. I know, because I am the only person in the area coaching submission. How can you find time to go beat up the kung fu geek but can't find the time to train? I'm not dissin', but alot of people talk about training in the St Pete area but no one really does it. That's why I am going to Tampa"

never said i was gonna, and i dont have the money to train, i have the time

lol!

kansetsuwaza, what's the address for your school? I'm going to be in St. Pete over Christmas and want to train a little, but I don't want to go to Gracie Barra because they mostly just use the gi which I've turned away from for the most part.

"It's what they've become today after years of ornamentation and over-structuralizing that we hold contempt for."

well said

that, and their dogmatic attitude

"Maybe I should be asking myself, why hasnt ANYONE seen "good TCIMA"? Certianly its never been caught on tape to work in a real fight situation. "

A shitpile of links have been provided. Just go to Shenwu, and ask around. There's even some video clips on Shen Wu of some sweeeet moves in live sparring that have nothing to do with BJJ, MT, or wrestling. Amazing how people who've never heard of Cartmell or even know what he does are instant authorities on what he teaches, how he teaches it, and why. I just hope you have the good fortune to go work out in his club one day. It will be good for your soul, maybe wake you up.

There's a green namer on here name of SHOOTER who only trains TJQ, along with his students. He eneters them along with himself in MMA events and grappling tournies. I've seen a video clip of his boy winning oevr one of Randy Coutoure's boys (Team Quest) in the ring. He was using the exact same move that they do as chikong, to great effect.

Yes, good stuff is rare, but it's out there, if you can be bothered to look. But that takes work, easier just to pretend you know everything.

Hey Kansetsuwaza, where in Tampa do you train? Why don't you go to Eduardo's school in Clearwater?

I am a submission Wrestling coach here in Tampa. I don't go to Eduardo's for two reasons, I don't do jiujitsu and I have never worn a Gi. From my understanding, leg locks are not encouraged there. I understand. Also, I am a very humble guy, I don't like to swim with sharks. Being a submission wrestler and going into a pure jiujitsu school is a little bit like swimming in the ocean wearing a suit made of chum. I don't like target practice when the target is me! However, I have heard Eduardo is a nice guy. When people come to me looking for jiujitsu I always send them up to Clearwater. Like I said, I don't do jiujitsu.
One of my guys, Ron Mann, used to go up there sometimes on Fridays. Maybe you saw him there, he has one leg. A couple other guys that train with me used to train there.

I am moving my training to South Tampa in two weeks. I have an AC seperation in my shoulder right now from an injury while wrestling a little over a week ago. So I am a bit like a one armed man in a bowtieing contest for now.

www.shootwrestling.org

"this guy was about 5'9 or 10 and prob 190 pretty chubby, should i go up and spar with him?"

If you do DONT Leg kick him and come here to tell people about it because they will get all pissed off. In fact if you go spar with him dont post about it unless you loose other wise everyone will call you names.

See Got kicked out of Kung Fu for more information.

kansetsuwaza

Let me know when you are ready to move the equipment and I will give you a hand and use my truck.

Thanks for the reply Kansetsuwaza. You wouldn't be swimming with sharks. We're all pretty nice guys up here. I remember seeing Ron a while back, I was really impressed with him.

Best of luck with the shoulder healing. I had rotator cuff surgery last year and one arm training was quite an experience.

Raspado

I love these kungfu stories. They're the best.=)

Part of the problem with TMA is the time it takes to become a good fighter doing strictly that. For example, Karate has many excellent techniques but much of the training time is used up doing katas and practicing less than useful stances techniques.

MMAer in a MMA school typically practices only proven techniques that work in fights(at least ring/cage fights). So in terms of efficiency, one can become a better fighter in a shorter period of time in comparisons to most TMAs. IMO.

Well, I'll be in St. Pete next week, will your school be running?

shamrock02, keep check the website for the st.pete school to see if we are training.

You can e-mail me also @ grappler66@hotmail.com and I will give you my #, you can call me when you get here and we may be able to get a class together to train

I will be out of town, sorry guys. Holidays.