Lake Baikal

Baikal at a glance:

• Lake Baikal is the deepest lake in the world with a maximum depth of 1,632m
  • It is also the world’s largest volume of fresh water 23,000 cubic km.
  • This means that one-fifth of all the fresh water in the world is located here at Lake Baikal.
  • Lake Baikal is 640km long and judging by its dimensions only it would be more of a sea than a lake.
  • Baikal is also the world’s most ancient freshwater lake, it originated 20-25 million years ago.
  • It is home to many unique species of animals and plants including the freshwater seal.
  • Lake Baikal is one of the clearest and purest bodies of water. In a good day you could see 40 meters into the lake.
  • Dimensions of Lake Baikal: It is 636 km long, 79 km wide.
  • There are 27 islands in Lake Baikal, most of them being uninhabited.
  • Baikal Lake’s coastline measures 2100 kilometers (around 1300 miles).
  • More than 300 streams and rivers flow into Lake Baikal, but there is just one outlet, the Angara.
  • The water in the lake creates a mild microclimate around its shores.
  • More than half the species found in Lake Baikal are unique to this place.
25 Likes

Lake Baikal Depth and Size

The surface area of the lake is 31.7 thousand km2, it is the seventh largest lake in the world after Caspian Sea, Lake Victoria, Lake Taganyika, Lake Huron, Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. It has almost the same surface area as Belgium or Netherlands.

The lake is 636 km long, being the widest in the center, 81 km, and the narrowest near the near the Serenga delta, 27 km.

Lake Baikal Max Depth and Average Depth

The average depth of Baikal is 744.4 m higher than the maximum depths of many lakes in the world.

Its maximum depth, measured by russian scientists Kolotilo and Sulimov in 1983, was 1640 m, which made Baikal the deepest lake in the world.

Climate Facts

Because large bodies of water retain heat longer than land, the climate around Lake Baikal is much milder than in the rest of southern Siberia.

Even in the depths of winter the average air temperature is -6°F (-21°C), compared with minimum temperatures of -68°F (-90°C) elsewhere in Siberia.

In August, the average air temperature is 52°F (11°C).

The lake freezes over from January until May or June, but its surface temperature in August is between 50 and 54°F (10–12°C).

13 Likes

Soup is back!

3 Likes

The History of Lake Baikal

The Baikal region, often called Baikalia, has a long history of human settlement. Lake Baikal, which is in the ancient northern area of the Xiongnu confederation, is one side of the Han–Xiongnu War. They named the lake the North Sea (Beihai) of the semimythical Four Seas, describing it as a ‘huge sea’ (shanghai). The Kurykans, a Siberian tribe that lived in the region in the sixth century, gave it the name ‘much water,’ which means a lot of water.’ The Yakuts dubbed it ‘rich lake’ (bay göl), and the Buryats termed it ‘natural lake’ (baygal nuur).

Animals In and Around Lake Baikal

Lake Baikal is very important to science. It’s exceptionally diverse in terms of biodiversity, with many endemic flora and fauna species. The lake is a sanctuary to over 1,000 plant species and 2,500 animal species, according to current estimates. Many others, however, feel that the true statistics are far higher. More than 80% of the creatures are native to the area. The Baikal seal, also known as the nerpa (Pusa sibirica), is only found in Lake Baikal. It is the only freshwater-only seal species on the planet.

The age of Baikal goes back to the Oligocene.

The age of Baikal goes back to the Oligocene. It is estimated that the lake exists for about 25-30 million years. Its creation is associated with the collision of an Indian tectonic plate with Asia. It caused the so-called Amur plate to begin to move away from the Eurasian plate. A gap formed between them, which filled with water and thus Baikal arose.

7 Likes

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

3 Likes

this is wild, that is a colder august than the northwest territories or the yukon here in Canada

1 Like

What about the other one ? I guess you’re having none of it…

1 Like

huh? Nunavut? I don’t even give a damn about Nunavut lol. Frozen shithole! Never been there and see no reason to go either.

1 Like

Good to have you back Sir.

1 Like

Hahaha…

Look up the swimmers of lake baikal…

1 Like

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

3 Likes

My only Lake Baikal pic.

6 Likes

Can we send homoslice to find his bike in it ?

1 Like

That dog is adorable

Soup is awesome!

1 Like

Lake Homeslice has a competitor. But I know where my money is at. Both literally and figuratively LOLOL…

Truth be told, I’m kinda self-trained in cryptozoology…

Believe it or not, in your photo, if you look south x southwest of the dead center of the photograph, you can make out the hidden shape of what appears to me to be a life form. I have zoomed in on it using my software and think I can identify a face and body outline.

From my preliminary calculations, the “creature” would have to be roughly 170-230 lbs and about 6 feet long, BUT it’s not a bear. That’s all I know so far. It may be the first sighting of a heretofore unknown species. We’ll see.

It probably stayed very still, that’s why you didn’t even notice it.

1 Like

15yrs ago I did the trans-Mongolian express from Beijing to St Petersburg,
It stopped in Irkutsk, Siberia and I stayed a few days there, visited Lake Baikal and swam in it.
Was the middle of summer and lake was a couple of degrees above freezing.

2 Likes