Landlord has me worried.. am I getting fu%#ed??

Can’t tell the story without a frat... I’ll try 

I took a lease over for a friend moving back to Hawaii. They had dogs and the dogs had to say here for 6 months. I kept the dogs in this house for 4 or those 6. So I’ve been here since the middle of September. 

We decided we really licked the place and about 2 months ago started speaking with the owners about staying. Worked out the price and came up with an agreement. 

The house was not as well kept as it should have been and the previous tenants didn’t tell them. They (the owners) knew because they had a realtor come out and look at the house about a year ago. These were friends of mine. (Previous co workers really) 

ive been completely honest with the owners and once we had an agreement I started getting shit done. I’ve put in around 100 hours of work. Plumbing, pressure washing, caulk work, simple painting, started a complete remodel of a bathroom, deep cleaning, etc.. 

I sent a signed lease about 5 weeks ago.  We’ve been in touch and it hasn’t been an issue they haven’t sent a signed copy back. 

They just texted me they want to sell. Well... I’m moved in. I know I’m fucked. But I only put the work in because I liked the place. 

I know the OG will be brutal, but is a handshake and verbal agreement not worth anything anymore?  I singed the agreement over a month ago. Does that mean nothing. 

Ill end my vent/rant. 

What would you do. 

If you have proof they agreed for you to do the repairs/upgrades, you will be reimbursed, even if its just a text or email. If not, you are SOL.

As far as the lease agreement, I'm pretty sure you are SOL.

You are fucked. Unless they recognize what you did and compensate you for it. Which they will not.  Property owners get fucked over so much by renters i'd be shocked if they did work with you. You never know. 

There are some BS squatter laws that use to help the dead beats(not calling you one), but thankfully those are changing.

Hopefully the owners are decent and will compensate you for your time/money. But, don't count on it. 

Learning experience and all that. If you signed a lease? I'm not sure. I'm sure others will chime in.

See if they are interested in doing a lease to own option with you.

Start fucking shit up G N R style.

Do you have ANY proof at all? And check your states laws about the pending sale. 

knockout 247 - 

It's really the only option.

OP you are already losing 100+ man hours, make sure you become liable for 10k in damages.

They will see who the Alpha is!!

GenErick -
knockout 247 - 

OP you are already losing 100+ man hours, make sure you become liable for 10k in damages.

Just put it back to what it was. It sucks but I am not gonna fix someone else's house up for free.

Pat Giles -
GenErick -
knockout 247 - 

Just put it back to what it was. It sucks but I am not gonna fix someone else's house up for free.
This is kinda what I was thinking...really shitty for OP but undo everything you've done and fuck them

You agreed to do work on the property in exchange for reduced rent?

Yes your signature means nothing if they don't sign it. Should have done it in person so you weren't in limbo for five weeks. General rule of thumb is if you don't have it in writing, you are living month to month with no further expectations/obligations & should live accordingly.

They're the owners. They have all the power in the decision. For all we know, something more important happened in their lives predicating what was probably a difficult decision for them. If you're truly friends, & want to keep it that way, I would accept their decision & play on their sympathies to recover your investment. Probably they'll let you stay for an equitable amount of time with a reduced rent so everybody walks away not angry.

Running lease to own by them is a good idea, but I'm presuming you don't want that or have the resources to pull it off.

GenErick -
knockout 247 - 

Get the fuck outta here with your logic and reason bullshit.

You have put in 100 hours of work in a rent house that the lease was ending on for no compensation and have received no form of rent reduction?

If you are not hiding some details, take this as a lesson.

Pat Giles -
GenErick -
knockout 247 - 

I angrily made this joke tonight. I want to put moss everywhere I pressure washed. Through human shit on all the 20ft windows I cleaned. Clog all the pipes I fixed. (Or just put a slight pinhole in them)  put on some old shitty heat strips on the heat pump. Tap into door and make them crooked as hell and not shut. 

But im not putting 100 hours in fucking with someone. I know I’m fucked. It just sucks some people are so shifty. They knew they could sell before. The place is in order now and the they can. Because of me. 

Anyone down for an OG fuck session?  Like in the other guys with will ferrel and mark walberg. We can ruin this place 

Throw feces on everything and take all the copper pipes when you leave. 

Balance is restored. 

See if they’ll rent to own it to you?

"We decided we really licked the place"

You should never lick another mans property!

Most people would fuck their mothers over for $20.

Some stranger is for sure going to fuck you when 5 or 6 figures are on the line.

Check your state laws, new owners may have to take the property subject to your lease and you can argue you had an agreement with current owner.