Large trees removed with crane

Back story is my kid was in film school and wanted to make some summer cash without getting his hands too dirty, and so convinced me that I needed some footage of my work.
Feel free to critique. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoID20ISBfU

5 Likes

(508) area code? You from Worcester area. I’m from Springfield.

• On SideNote: Your screen name checks out.

Do most of my work in Concord Ma.

1 Like

I forgot to add that was a bad ass video.

I used to live in Milford as well.

Very Familiar with it.

1 Like

How much did that job cost the customer? It’s weird to see an actual professional do this versus the meth heads you see climbing trees with no gear on out here.

$6000

1 Like

Screen name does not check out.

Sometimes you have to amputate.

That’s badass!

I love Concord. You know the Marden family? Their place is called Musketaquid Farm.

Don’t know them personally, but I’ve done a ton of work in that area, including Middlesex school.
Bumped into yourself a ton of times back in the day.

PS. I may have WFAd this one.

Nice bro. Dangerous job. Must be some planning that goes into it

Like most anything I would think, quite a bit of planning with a bit of improvisation.

Tech question: For tie in to climbing harness, is an end bound single bowline accepted in your business? Thanks in advance.

If I’m reading you right you’re asking how the rope is attached to the climbing saddle (harness).
All my climbing lines have eye splices and are attached with carabiners, a bowline would be acceptable but I if used that I would then still use a carabiner between the bowline and the saddle for quick and easy connect and disconnect.
Eye splices are stronger than knots and less likely to get stuck if pulling your rope out of a tight space which could be 50 feet over your head.
Hope that helps.

1 Like

Interesting seeing the subtle differences in tie in methods between tree and rock/mountain climbers (carabiner vs directly into the harness). Thanks for the response.

ThTs some gnarly work!

What’s the sketchiest tree you’ve taken? I.e. something that split/barber-chaired on you and made you soil yourself?

Wish I had time to take up some rock climbing, there’s probably a couple of reasons for the difference. Main one would be the amount of times we attach and detach the line, on a job like that I might disconnect thirty or forty times, so knots would be too time consuming.
Also I don’t think you can put a spliced eye on a rock climbing rope, our ropes are thicker, have a removable core and take a lot more abuse.

That’s a good question, barber chairing would be operator error, a lot of close calls come from either the crane operator or ground crew doing something unexpected, that’s why I try to use the same operator whenever possible.
I’d like to think I’ve seen it all, but I’m sure I haven’t, was chunking down a hollow trunk and had a raccoon pop his head out, been dive bombed by everything from Robins to Red-tail Hawks.
Every day is an adventure.