Laser eye surgery, TME re: sports

I've heard it's unadvisable to get laser eye surgery if you participate in sports, as it leaves some sort of open pocket or pouch on the eye that is dangerous if impact occurs there? Any truth to this? I remember a thread here where a lot of experiences were shared, hopefully some of those posters are still around

Never heard that.

I got laser eye surgery a little over ten years ago. Since then I’ve boxed, been hit with a few IEDs, got blown off a roof by an RPG, and done dozens of parachute landing falls. My eyes are fine. My brain on the other hand...

That’s with Lasik and it’s only if you’re doing something like boxing - or if you’re a fighter pilot. The alternative then is PRK which doesn’t have the flap issue but has a longer recovery period.

Get PRK. Hurts like shit for a week. Totally worth it

In Lasik they create a flap and laser under it. They then put the flap back. This increases healing team so that you are fine the next day. However there is a very very small risk if hit hard enough the flap could reopen because scar tissue is weaker.

To avoid that issue you can get prk where they just laser over your whole eye. It takes a couple weeks to heal but no risk of reopening.

Darup -

In Lasik they create a flap and laser under it. They then put the flap back. This increases healing team so that you are fine the next day. However there is a very very small risk if hit hard enough the flap could reopen because scar tissue is weaker.

To avoid that issue you can get prk where they just laser over your whole eye. It takes a couple weeks to heal but no risk of reopening.

Thanks gents. A couple weeks for PRK? How incapacitated are you during those weeks?

In for info and experiences

MayorPirkle -
Darup -

Thanks gents. A couple weeks for PRK? How incapacitated are you during those weeks?

Everyone heals differently. I know 2 people who got prk recently, my brother and a friend.

My brother said it took over 2 months to get back to 100%. For the first week he was effectively blind. 3 weeks after the procedure he was back at work even though everything was blurry and he had difficulty seeing his monitor. Eventually he had to increase the font size and change it to night mode. He said his co-workers made fun of him because they could read his monitor from the other side of the room.

Buddy got it done a week before Xmas. I saw him for Nye and he still had a lot of blurriness and some pain. Hung out with him last week (2mo after the procedure) and he said he still not 100% (slight blurriness and dryness but no pain)

The funny thing is that both of their surgeons told them about this long recovery time before the procedure. Both were told that they should be normal in "a couple of weeks". 

It's possible that my brother and buddy are exceptions but the norm, but after hearing their horror stories in going lasik not prk.

Flyers179 -

That’s with Lasik and it’s only if you’re doing something like boxing - or if you’re a fighter pilot. The alternative then is PRK which doesn’t have the flap issue but has a longer recovery period.

This.

Your eyes aren’t suddenly fragile. And it’s only a general warning that if you’re doing something like boxing and getting blunt impact repeatedly in the eyes. ..... but not like that was a real healthy choice to begin with.

Yeah, I stare at 16 computer screens simultaneously at work, that recovery does not work for me lol

I got the lasik eye surgery when I turned 19 and it was probably the best decision I have made. I was in and out in 20 mins and the healing time was about 2 days for me. I’m 25 now and my eyes have never been better. The price was steep around 1k per eye but at 19 that’s a lot a money for that age. Wish you the best on it. Also the place I went to while your waiting you can watch the person ahead of you on the tv screen so if your squeamish I wouldn’t recommend it.

MayorPirkle -

Yeah, I stare at 16 computer screens simultaneously at work, that recovery does not work for me lol

16 computer screens are monitoring this thread, act accordingly. 

Does PRK have the night halo issue?

I did PRK aa little over 10 years ago, it sucked for the first 5-7 days, after about 10 days from surgery my eyes were fully recovered, no blurry vision or anything. 

It's fucking awesome, totally worth it. No flap in my eye. Zero issues since i've done the surgery and I spar regularly.

My wife did LASIK, she was fully recovered in about 15 minutes, her eyes actually need a touchup since surgery.

I play competitive basketball, about to start my first pro season next week. Haven’t had any issues with lasik.

Guy who did my eyes also did some NHL guys and said there is next to zero risk when doing lasik and playing sports after. 

I practiced 4 days after surgery and was back at full contact 7 days later. Haven’t looked back since.

i just get dry eyes once in a while, it’s been 1 and a half years so far.

Candide -

I got laser eye surgery a little over ten years ago. Since then I’ve boxed, been hit with a few IEDs, got blown off a roof by an RPG, and done dozens of parachute landing falls. My eyes are fine. My brain on the other hand...

Uh... Link to your AMA please?

Icy Mike -
Candide -

Uh... Link to your AMA please?

It’s not that interesting. Plenty of guys have had the same sorts of experiences.