Lashley vs Overeem ISN'T Happening!!!

Well it seems that after getting beat up by Chad Griggs at Strikeforce: Houston, Bobby has had a change of heart. His management team has turned down the fight stating there wasn't enough time to prepare for the fight. It's for the best as accepting the fight on any notice, let alone two weeks, would have surely ended with Bobby brutally knocked out. That's not a knock against Bobby at all, there are very few fighters around the world who could have a competitive bout against Overeem in either K1 or MMA rules. So I won't judge a man for turning down a one sided loss to a fighter who has shown vast improvements in all aspects of his game since his time in PRIDE. 

http://www.headkicklegend.com/2010/12/19/1885204/great-news-everyone-alistair-overeem-vs-bobby-lashley-isnt-happening

Fuck.

bizzare he is turning down a fight with the worlds best heavweight or one of the best.

smart decision

GoodCoolMan69 - Im sure they will find another D-Level, overmatched fighter to get knocked out by Top 10 Heavyweight Alistair Overeem - winner of such classics as Overeem vs. Thompson, and Overeem vs. Sylvester.

Didn't he just beat three of the toughest kickboxers around a few weeks back?

I have no problem with guys like allistair fighting cans (or B level opposition) when they keep up that level of activity.

Its much more desireable than a guy like Rashad holding out on everyone for an entire year to get 1 fight. In that timeframe Allistair will have fought 8-9 times, so having 2-3 of those vs cans isn't nearly as bad as you'd think.

You people will analyze any fighter to death. If you honestly think that there is any fighter in StrikefArce (besides Fedor) who will stand a chance with Ubereem, ur fucking stupid. Phone Post

slaughteringyou - 
GoodCoolMan69 - Im sure they will find another D-Level, overmatched fighter to get knocked out by Top 10 Heavyweight Alistair Overeem - winner of such classics as Overeem vs. Thompson, and Overeem vs. Sylvester.

I have no problem with guys like allistair fighting cans (or B level opposition) when they keep up that level of activity.

Its much more desireable than a guy like Rashad holding out on everyone for an entire year to get 1 fight. In that timeframe Allistair will have fought 8-9 times, so having 2-3 of those vs cans isn't nearly as bad as you'd think.

Semmy Schilt is a top 5 MMA HW as well, he proved it in K1.

^^^true, he needs to be in UFC. Don't think DFW will allow him to do K-1 and DREAM and other shit like that, so mat never happen too!
Semmy being a top 5 HW in MMA is a FUCKING RETARDED STATEMENT! You have to be fucking blind to think he will do anything in MMA... Phone Post

jjj2121 - 
slaughteringyou - 

Semmy Schilt is a top 5 MMA HW as well, he proved it in K1.

Umm. If Semmy cared to continue training in MMA, he'd likely be pretty top tier. He never made it his focus, but he has competed. What I found interesting was his wrist control from the bottom, along with his long limbs. Was hard even for those who took him down to do damage.

The difference however is that Semmy isn't fighting in MMA at the moment, and Overeem is. I agree I'd prefer to see him fighting more top competition, but the problem Strikeforce seems to face is that all the top non UFC heavyweights come with baggage. Fedor with M1 renegotiating his multi fight deals after every fight, Barnett with his price tag and worry about PEDs, etc. There is good talent to fight, but all these 'independents' are clearly wanting to cherry pick opponents or charge past market to fight anyone else of quality. That includes Overeem as well, but as he showed with K1, at least he's still willing to go out there an test himself against the best. Now to get him to do it in MMA too.

Timetocrush has had his lesson for today. Damn son! Phone Post

0 for 2 for people responding to my Semmy point.

Of course calling Semmy a top 5 MMA HW is retarded.

Thing about that is...it's the same with Overeem

Semmy was decent in fighting B level fighters but he lost to every A level fighter. Barnett, Fedor, Yvel, Big Nog and more... Phone Post

TimeToCrush - 
GoodCoolMan69 -
TimeToCrush - The best heavyweights are in Strikeforce. He just has to step up and fight them.

The best Heavyweights? Like Fedor, the guy who just got submitted in round 1 by a UFC washout, and refuses to take any meaningful fights?

Or maybe Brett Rogers, the tire salesman who hasn't won any fights except a lucky punch over UFC washout Arlovski, and barely getting past a dude named Obango?

Or Silva, the genetic freak who just got KTFO by a 60-lbs lighter Mike Kyle who took the fight on short notice?

Respectfully,

Good Cool Man

Brock Lesnar? The pro wrestler who does cartwheels when he gets hit and curls up in the fetal position because he has no idea what he's doing?

Cain? The guy who unranked Kongo KTFO?

JDS? The guy who got subbed by 11-6 Joaquim Ferreira?

Carwin? The full time engineer guy who can't last more than a round?

Strikeforce heavyweights >>>>>>> UFC heavyweights. Between experience and accomplishment, it's not even close.

Who are these SF heavyweights you speak of?  I keep hearing about them, but I never see them fight.

jjj2121 -  0 for 2 for people responding to my Semmy point.

To be fair, Overeem has put MMA on the backburner for the time being ,and is getting a huge push by K1 to become their next megastar.

That being said , he's heavilly pushed for a fight with fedor, and has had rumored fights with Barnett, and Arlovski fall through this year.

I dont think he's unwilling to fight tough oppossition in MMA. If anything, it seems like top prospects are avoiding him.

slaughteringyou - 
jjj2121 -  0 for 2 for people responding to my Semmy point.

To be fair, Overeem has put MMA on the backburner for the time being ,and is getting a huge push by K1 to become their next megastar.

That being said , he's heavilly pushed for a fight with fedor, and has had rumored fights with Barnett, and Arlovski fall through this year.

I dont think he's unwilling to fight tough oppossition in MMA. If anything, it seems like top prospects are avoiding him.

Regardless of circumstance, you've got to beat elite opposition to be ranked in the top 5.  Alistair Overeem has not.

TTC, well done ignoring my post.  It has no valid retort.

Strikeforce has a nice pretty roster of HW's under contract that they cannot get inside the cage.  That's an issue.

" there are very few fighters around the world who could have a competitive bout against Overeem in either K1 or MMA rules"

"Cool Stoy Bro"
-Shogun
-Lil Nog
-Werdum
-Sergei
-Arona
-ect...

TimeToCrush - 
jjj2121 -  TTC, well done ignoring my post.  It has no valid retort.

Strikeforce has a nice pretty roster of HW's under contract that they cannot get inside the cage.  That's an issue.

I've said before 2011 will be the make or break year for the heavyweight division in Strikeforce. If they don't fight, the UFC heavyweights will win by default. But as right now, the UFC heavyweights haven't done enough to match what the Strikeforce heavyweights have done in their careers.

Keep in mind the "new breed" has only been on the radar for a little over a year.

I can agree with this, part of being the #2 org and trying to attract top level talent means you are forced to give fighters freedoms that the UFC will not.