Last Sat. was a great night.

Fighting returns to Hippodrome
Friday, June 15, 2007By JASON REMILLARDjremillard@repub.com

For years, Keith Gordon balanced his job with Chicopee Department of Public Works with running a successful martial arts academy in Indian Orchard.

A few months ago, Gordon founded the Extreme Fighting International mixed martial arts organization with the hope of running a few fight cards at Springfield's Hippodrome night club.

The inaugural show April 14 was such a hit that Gordon was able to resign from the DPW and take a salary to run EFI. He's been going nonstop ever since, especially with another card set for tomorrow night at the Hippodrome

"We're definitely going to be growing for sure," said Gordon, who runs the Silver Dragon Progressive Martial Arts Academy. "The first show was such a major, major success."

Approximately 1,500 fans packed the house for April's "UpRising." Gordon expects more of the same for tomorrow's "Trauma in the Cage."

Word of mouth traveled far and fast. Gordon said he received an e-mail from New Jersey about his fight card being talked about in that state. He's received requests to fight from Israel and Sweden. Other fight promoters expressed their surprise at how a first-timer like Gordon could find the winning formula.

"There's a lot of talent that's not seen yet," Gordon said. "I've got fighters coming in from all over."

That's definitely true of tomorrow's card, which boasts participants from Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont and New York.

The "International" part of the group's name is represented as well. Dorel Codreanu, who trains under Gordon at Silver Dragon, will be the first person from the former Soviet republic Moldova to compete in a professional MMA bout. His stepfather is flying from Moldova to see Codreanu face Vermont's Billy Walsh, who is known for his knockout power.

"He's been training with me for a little less than a year," Gordon said. "My guy's got his work cut out for him."

Thanks to everyone that came and supported the local MMA show(EFI) I just want to express my appreciation.

ttt

Date: 06/18/07 07:50 PM
106 Total Posts Ignore User

Results... straight from my reporter's notebook to you:
1. Dan Keefe def. Ryan Verrett, TKO (strikes), rd. 1

1. Eric Henry def. Billy Erol, TKO (strikes), rd. 1

2. Dorel Codreanu def. Billy Walsh, TKO (strikes), rd. 2

3. Roberto Concepcion vs. Matthew Vincelette. Match went 2 rounds, Vincelette by KO in 3rd rd. After the fight, Concepcion pointed out he won on the scorecards after 2, so third rd. never should have happened. Keith Gordon concurred and decided to give the W to both men.

4. Travis Lerchen def. Don Carlo-Clauss, DQ (intentional headbutt), rd. 1

5. Cory Laplant sub. Corey Batchelder, rear naked, rd. 1

6. Ethan Kean sub. KJ Banach, triangle, rd. 2

7. Raymond Newkirk def. Johann VanWoerden, TKO (strikes), rd. 1

8. Randy Smith def. Alonzo Hardnett, decision, 2nd

9. Jerry Spiegel sub. Tim Goodwin, triangle, rd. 1

ttt and GO SPIEGEL! :-)

:)

"Keith Gordon concurred and decided to give the W to both men."

A win for both? Was it a pro fight? that makes no sense...