Last Temptation of Christ

who has seen this movie? and what do you think of it??

if you're christian...do you find it blasphemous? do you think that the message and sacrifice of christ in it is done well??

thanks

I've seen it, and really liked it

I found the imagery, atmosphere, music etc all incredibly evocative

I like the more 'human' side it portrayed of Christ, and his reluctance of who he was

main gripe with it was everybody talking with broad American accents - hey ho

I didn't find it blasphemous at all - but can understand how it may have annoyed some folks

I also read the book which I much prefer

also by the same author is another book called Christ Recrucified - an excellent book which kinda explores the idea of Christ as political revolutionary/activist

I heartily recomend both books

cool, ill check out that book...

i read a lot of the history of the movie...how it was originally scrapped, redone with a smaller budget and different cast...and then when it was finished, how it was 'crucified' so to speak by groups who hadn't seen it

I jsut finished the book, as well.
I liked the movie better, because I thought it focused more on (what I think is) the most intriguing elements of the story; Jesus' rebelling against and then accepting God, his own doubts, and his relationship with Judas. The book spends much time picking bones with each of the disciples and putting down women as simple, unspiritual creatures of the earth. Some of the language is great, though.

The movie is one of my favorites movies of all time.

http://answers.org/issues/last_temptation.html

I would not watch it. However I read the screen play and many articles about it. As someone in the passion trailer thread said: you twist something that is very important to many people and it gets acclaim, you present it as authenticaly as possible and it gets criticized. Certain things are not open to artistic spin.

willybone - I totally forgot about the aspect of it exploring his relationship with Judas

that was a fantastic element of the book

before the movie i was stuck in the realm of the non-christian.
Although I don't consider myself a christian now, I do credit that movie with helping me get over old prejudices I had about christianity and start considering it anew.
I've always considered the movie to be pro-Christian.

Excellent movie. The angle was to view the last temptation as the desire to have a family - a wife and kids. Basically, to life the normal life of a man, rather than writhe in agony on the Cross.

It's when he saw what would happen were he not to make that sacrifice that he finally became willing to give up his life - to prevent what he saw as future events from taking place.

I don't know why Christians always bitch and moan whenever a new rendition of the passion of Christ comes out. You'd think they'd laud the effort and welcome the interpretation. The net result is, clearly, a revival of interest in Christianity.

Well Rastus, it's because it's different from "the new Dracula" or "the new Cleopatra movie" Certain things comes with less room for artistic spin than others.

The gospels themselves tell wildly different stories about jesus...such as hundreds of dead saints walking the streets after Christ dies.

Instead of stating something like, "We welcome the restoral of Jesus Christ to the center of our culture; but have to point out that this story is not Gospel", they protest and make what I consider to be fools out of themselves.

Why do I say that? Because they are turning off the very people they could otherwise attract to their folds with a better attitude.

I never saw it, but I was told mainly about the "relationship" with Mary Magnaline. Which I find interesting since Jesus is considered the second Adam, meant to overcome the sin of Adam. Getting into it Adam's sin was basically choosing a woman over God. That being Said Christ given a choice (Which He was) chose to die as a sacrifice than to give up his ministery and live with her.

Which I think there was chemistry between the two. They were definately close, and she did love him. In the end Christ chose God's will, and reversed the sin. So I don't think that is sinful to point out. A lot of people get pissed when you mention the idea of Mary and He being in love. Christ was God in the flesh, and He was tempted, but He didn't yield to the temptation. BTW I'm not just speaking just sexually I'm speaking in terms of he didn't give His heart to Mary either, but chose The Father.

There is a scripture reference it will Pual (I think) is talking about how we can resist temptation like Christ "Who was tempted in every way, but did not sucmb" if you guys could find that I'd appercaite it.

It just seems to me that some people love it when Jesus is protrayed in a not so holy way. They don't care at all for his teachings or claims but think it's "progress" when someone uses the acclaim of his name to get their message across. I'm sure Gibson's "The Passion" will be a masterpiece that is dead on accurate yet people will still say "It wasn't as good as last temptation" You that that was moving and attracted people to Christ? Wait until you see Passion.

"It just seems to me that some people love it when Jesus is protrayed in a not so holy way. They don't care at all for his teachings or claims but think it's "progress" when someone uses the acclaim of his name to get their message across. I'm sure Gibson's "The Passion" will be a masterpiece that is dead on accurate yet people will still say "It wasn't as good as last temptation" You that that was moving and attracted people to Christ? Wait until you see Passion."

I agree, I want to see the Passion.

thats the thing...there is a great deal of care in the story for his teachings....the story shows how difficult his decisions really were....

it shows that he wasnt a robot who just did good, but that he struggled with temptation and still chose to do the right thing....as a lesson

the movie is a triumph simply because it emphasises his message in a more personal way.

in the story, if you have seen it, you would see that he is portrayed as holy...but also human, isnt that the point??

"it shows that he wasnt a robot who just did good, but that he struggled with temptation and still chose to do the right thing....as a lesson"

I can agree with that too. The Thing is I like to believe He stood against the temptation better than most people are willing to give Him credit for.

my interp. is that he didnt avoid the temptation, because people would present the temptation to him...but that he chose to make the right decision in the face of temptation as a lesson

any movie that brings someone to Jesus is good in my books....haven't seen this one but will do now...

I have never seen it. I didnt' feel comfortable with its premise

It apparently was written from the same position of the book The Davinci Codes. It's a longstanding prevailing myth of the "real truth" of Jesus. Take a read.