Last word about Penn vs Hughes!

Im going to be honest.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would deny the fact that BJ Penn is a better fighter than Matt Hughes.

HOWEVER, Penn simply doesn't have the gas to fight someone like Hughes. He should stop fucking around and do what he should have done a long time ago. GO BACK TO HIS ACTUAL WEIGHTCLASS.

In reality it all comes down to this.

BJ Penn = more skilled than Hughes.

Matt Hughes = Not as skilled, but better where it counts.

i will agree to that. he needs to go to 155 but i respect his goals more than ANY other fighter.

"I don't think anyone in their right mind would deny the fact that BJ Penn is a better fighter than Matt Hughes."

That statement doesn't make any damn sense. MATT WON. The "better fighter" WON. It doesn't matter that BJ was the better fighter for two rounds, know why?

Because he lost the fight!!!!!!!!!!!

ronald, pound for pound bj is better, you are missing the point.

Cardio is a part of fighting.

I guess old Vitor beats anyone as well?

"That statement doesn't make any damn sense. MATT WON. The "better fighter" WON. It doesn't matter that BJ was the better fighter for two rounds, know why?"

Come on dude.

Im not a huge fan of either guy.....however how could you say that BJ is not a better fighter than Hughes overall.

BJ (while in shape) in the first two rounds made Matt Hughes look like a KOTC fighter. BJ gased, and Hughes finished him.

Matt Hughes is the greatest welterweight of all time, no doubt, BJ is a better fighter overall but just doesn't have the work ethic to beat Hughes. Its as simple as that.

As far as what Joker said, Vitor was never that good in the first place, unless you count beating fat cans like Tank as being prerequisite of greatness.

"how could you say that BJ is not a better fighter than Hughes overall."

Because Hughes beat him. Winning two rounds does not make you a better fighter.

I disagree. Hughes is as skilled as anyone else at his weight, without a doubt the most STACKED weightclass in MMA.

At welterweight, Hughes is king of the mountain.

BJ's style is more entertaining to watch, but to say that Hughes is less skilled than anyone is ridiculous.

BJ fucked up. He spent all his energy on the reverse triangle, when it was clear that all it was doing was holding Matt in place.

BAM. Hughes did what he does best. He wins.

^^^^

Yea well Penn submitted him in less than a round the first time.

And then made him look like a tool untill he gassed the second.

Penn is a more skilled fighter than Hughes, he just doesn't have the heart, or determination that Hughes does.

"Better" is philsophical, dude. YOU think BJ is better, I think Matt is better. "Better where it counts...?" What the hell does that mean? Better, where it counts, which leads to a win is BETTER!

More skilled at what? They have drastically different backgrounds, and in a common forum (MMA) both do fantastic.

I eagerly await the rubbermatch.

Having heart and determination may be the two biggest things a fighter needs.

How can someone fight, lose the fight and still be a better fighter?

The better fighter won last night. Matt Hughes.

Part of being a complete world class fighter is being able to fight 5 5min rounds.

If you can not, and the other guy can and you can not finish him fast, then the other guy is better.

The fight was a 5 round 5 min fight, not a 2 round 5 min fight

Seeing this is a "last word" thread, i am gonna chip in about the Penn vs Hughes fight, hopefully for the last time. Afterall so many (threads) have come and gone, here in mma.tv forums... on the Hughes-Penn fight..

First, off, I was simply amazed at Penn's skills. He is truly deserving of the nickname The Prodigy and the Phenom.

Injuries aside, it comes with the territory - talking about Penn's rib injury that occurred towards the end of round 2. Nevertheless, Hughes won the fight.

Nothing takes away from that and we can all chalk it as another victory notch for Matt. And he remains champion.

I do feel, somewhere down the road, a Penn and Hughes fight should happen again in the future. Looking forward to that.

still hanging on to Hughes' nuts I see.

Some people just don't know what they are talking about I guess.

Penn is a better fighter than Hughes.....the better fighter doesn't always win. You really think Buster Douglas was better than Tyson??

Or that Joe Lauzon has better hands than Pulver cause he KO'ed him?? LOL.

Sometimes shit happens (as it did last night)

"Last word about Penn vs Hughes!"

Oh, god, if only that were true.

LOL @ complaining about fighter jockriding when you're saying the fighter who ate a quabillion unanswered punches from the crucifix is the better fighter...

Penn needs to get over he's a fighter first Bullsh!t...

The fighter lost badly in the second round...

He needs a professional Conditioning coach that kicks his ass in shape... It is evident that he can not train cardio on his own, cause he will not do it...

UFC should only setup a "Rubber Match" with a Contract stipulation that he will not get his PURSE if he gasses as bad as he did lasdt night.

THAT WAS AN EMBARRASMENT to ALL MMA Athletes...

The bias is strong in this thread.

Penn is a great fighter, but he couldn't finish the fight when he got the chance. Hughes did. Right now Hughes is the better fighter overall.

"Compare their records and you'll see how ridic that statement is. Penn is 10-4, for chrissakes."

Pulver: Back then PULVER would have killed Hughes...

Machida: Would kill Matt standing...

GSP: Yes he beat him... but I'll wait til Dec 30, 2006 to see how it goes down...

Hughes: Couldn't do shit until he was gassed... Couldn't even take him down...