Last word about Penn vs Hughes!

I don't think he has to go down to 155, he obviously has the talent to dominate at 170, just not the cardio. BJ needs to work on his cardio. He should go train with Tito.

What a stupid argument.

How anyone can conclude that the guy with the 10-4-1 record is "better" than the guy with the 40-4 record by ANY definition is beyond me.

BJ had two chances to win the LW belt and failed both times. He got a gift shot at the WW belt and won it; more power to him. Then he lost his fight to become the #1 contender to get the belt back (to a guy whom Hughes finished in one round). Then he got smashed when he got a gift shot at the belt anyway.

Hughes won the belt when he had the chance. He won it back after Penn was stripped. He's defended it a million times. He has a better finishing percentage than Penn. He has 30 more wins and the same number of losses. He just pounded Penn's head into the mat.

"By your ridiculous logic, if a losing football team had the lead in the first quarter, they are a better team. It's nonsense. You're posts are rubbish. Please STFU."

Amen.

Also:

" BJ (while in shape) in the first two rounds made Matt Hughes look like a KOTC fighter. BJ gased, and Hughes finished him."

Hmm. So stuffing (most) of his takedowns, landing a couple punches that did no damage, and 40 seconds of sub trouble made Hughes look like a KOTC fighter?

Would you say the same about Crocop/Fedor? In the first 10 minutes, Mirko prevented almost every takedown and demolished Fedor's face. He was in zero trouble on the ground and took no damage at any point. Is Mirko better than Fedor? Fedor didn't even finish Crocop once Mirko gassed, he beat him by decision.

I hope you all don't use the same "logic" and "reasoning" in your day to day lives that you use on the UG.

Are people forgetting that BJ's "dominating" period was for about 1 minute and a half in the end of round 2? Hughes was leading that round until BJ took his back.

Round 1 was pretty uneventful and i would basically have it a draw.

BJ may be more "skilled" but winning championships in sports and remaining a champ, time after time, takes more than that.

Best post on this thread!!!!

"Some people just don't know what they are talking about I guess."

As much as I wanted to Hughes to win....no one in their right mind can deny that Penn was dominating him....it's pretty simple to see that really. Everyone can say "the better fighter won". The fact is that the fighter with the best "cardio" won. THAT doesn't make him the better "fighter".

How come Brazillian Jiujitsu guys still "win" even if they lose/ Why are sub attempts better than fists. The bias is still there. Who here has not been in a bad position and come out of it ok when rolling?

"Hughes: Couldn't do shit until he was gassed... Couldn't even take him down..."

How did Hughes end up on top of Penn for the first half of the second round?

An equivalent argument would be like saying "the 100m champion is a better overall runner than the Miler even though he lost in a Mile race. The 100m guy was smokin him at the beginning, he was clearly better, you can't even argue otherwise, he just didn't have the determination, and got beat in the end".

If the UFC you gotta last 25 minutes. Penn can't. He is not the best 170 lber. If title fights were 5 minutes long he would prob be champion - is that what we want?

"How did Hughes end up on top of Penn for the first half of the second
round?"

[UG BJJ'ers]
Well, you see BJ is a skilled submission artist from his back, he totally
let Hughes take him down at that point so he could own him on the
ground with his superior wrestling and BJJ skills. BJ was just toying
with Hughes in round 2. Then he gassed because he was bored in
round 3. Heads I win, tails you lose.
[/UG BJJ'ers]

Opinion does not necessarily fact! Its not about who the "better" fighter is--this is debatable and could go either way. Its about who GOT the better of whom.

Not on the UG.

then that means he is not a better figher