Lauzon discusses UFC sponsorship landscape

GodSaveTheReem - Serious question...has ANYONE here ever bought a product because it was on a fighter's shorts? I am surprised that companies even consider it viable add space.
Clinch gear Phone Post 3.0

Not speaking about Joe here!

Complaining about sponsor tax is like when your parents took the bag of cookies from you. They said you could have "some" not "all" of the cookies.

The simple fact is the UFC should have NEVER allowed sponsorships in the first place. Since they did we should be grateful we were able to earn money this way not complain that they are limiting it.

This type of "marketing" is called "Ambush Marketing". That means not paying the event to advertise your brand. This is ILLEGAL in many countries. In 2010 Dutch authorities arrested two women for ambush marketing a Dutch Brewery during the FiFA World Cup. Company executives can be arrested too.

Look at how the UFC sponsorships are done and it is clear that many brands are ambush marketing. Those that have paid the tax, have paid permission to ambush market the UFC. Still many brands are allowed to sponsor without paying the fee. As Joe said, sponsorship is usually based on where the athlete is placed on the card (meaning how many people will be tuned in), if you do not compete sponsors do not pay, 75% of the brands have no activation plans with the athlete, they just want their logo seen on a UFC Broadcast.

Ambush Marketing = Putting your logo where it can be seen at an event without paying the fees the event is charging sponsors.

Sponsorship would be sponsoring the athletes or events. Don't sponsor Joe because he is Co-Main Event on a UFC PPV in Jan. Joe can't control that event or if it happens. Sponsor Joe because when he does compete he is exciting, because he reaches the fans in the sport, or for whatever reason he may fit your brand.

If you think about what Joe said his highest sponsorship was around $30,000 for the Florian fight. Say he had 6 brands all paying $5,000 each. None of those brands can afford to be in the UFC. Even if it was one brand paying $30k they would not get the UFC's sponsorship teams interest, probably not even for UFC.com. So they ambush and we call it sponsorship.

RyannVonDoom - 
GodSaveTheReem - Serious question...has ANYONE here ever bought a product because it was on a fighter's shorts? I am surprised that companies even consider it viable add space.

that can be said about almost any advertising anywhere

aclawrence - I interviewed Garry Cook, the head of the UFC in Europe, recently and some stuff about changes the UFC are considering to sponsorship deals came up:

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/fightland-meets-garry-cook-the-man-who-went-from-the-english-premier-league-to-the-ufc

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/fightland-meets-garry-cook-the-man-who-went-from-the-english-premier-league-to-the-ufc

Jason -
RyannVonDoom - 

I'm sorry what? I bought clinch gear because dan henderson wore it and i found out he owned it. Phone Post 3.0

RyannVonDoom - 
Jason -
RyannVonDoom - 

I'm sorry what? I bought clinch gear because dan henderson wore it and i found out he owned it. Phone Post 3.0

No question that some fans will but the brands working with or owned by their favorite athletes or celebrities. This has been proven (see NASCAR).