Lawler: I should've pressed a little bit more

SOO72 - Rematch please, or Lombard vs Hendricks and Lawler vs. Nick Diaz.
This Phone Post 3.0

Punches and Kicks...I agree Robbie Phone Post 3.0

It was close and part of me wants to see them fight again immediatly but I've grown weary of the constant rematches we're seeing in the championship fights. Let them fight a fight or two first. The division is packed full of talent and good fights.

Diaz vs Lawler 2 for the title shot. Phone Post 3.0

D241 - 

When Anderson clearly got knocked out, he got an immediate rematch.

Yet when a fighter loses a razor close fight via decision, no immediate rematch?

I'm not really a Silva fan but there is a huge difference.  Silva had been dominant forever and had already cleared out his division.  That being said, I'd love to see the rematch.  I just doubt it's good business sense to have a rematch on the first title defense.  I would imagine if Hendricks keeps the title it will be maybe 2 fights away.

Lawler is awesome, he is what MMA should be about. Phone Post 3.0

And THIS ladies and gentleman is how you respond and act after losing a fight you arguably could have been claimed the victor.
No whining about how his face showed no damage while his opponent clearly was battered.
He admits his faults gives credit to the champ and thats it.

Makes me appreciate Robbie much more.
Also as someone also mentioned the way Robbie was rolling with all those punches was damn impressive. To many watching it might have seemed as Hendricks was catching him full on but Robbie's defense was nullifying a lot of Hendricks considerable power. Hence why his face showed barely any marks.

Heck of a fight and hate to admit it, but in my opinion The best welterweight fight in a LONG time.

I wouldn't be mad at immediate rematch as it was truly razor thin but understand the UFC's desire to get continue the new blood vying for the title.
However if Robbie wins his next I cant see how they can deny him another title shot similar to the Gus situation.
Exciting times in teh 170 division.

Soup and Beer -
D241 - 

When Anderson clearly got knocked out, he got an immediate rematch.

Yet when a fighter loses a razor close fight via decision, no immediate rematch?

I'm not really a Silva fan but there is a huge difference.  Silva had been dominant forever and had already cleared out his division.  That being said, I'd love to see the rematch.  I just doubt it's good business sense to have a rematch on the first title defense.  I would imagine if Hendricks keeps the title it will be maybe 2 fights away.

Exactly what I came to say...VTFU Phone Post 3.0

Minus the "not a Silva fan" Phone Post 3.0

Should've also tried to get up in the last minute of the 5th instead of just sitting there shaking his head. I love the guy but come on. Phone Post 3.0

MillhouseMMA - Should've also tried to get up in the last minute of the 5th instead of just sitting there shaking his head. I love the guy but come on. Phone Post 3.0

I believe he was shaking his head because he knew he was pinned and he screwed up.  His legs were wrapped by Hendrick's legs and he wasn't getting up anytime soon.  If it were the middle of the round he could have just waited until the ref stood them up.

I had Robbie winning that fight. Hendricks threw more kicks and landed more takedowns, but I felt Robbie completely controlled the stand up. I would have like Robbie to really jump on him in the 3rd round, he might've finished Johny. It was great fight for both guys. Love Robbie even more after this fight. He's been all class even in defeat. Phone Post 3.0

I love Robbie and I was pulling for him to win but I hope they don't make an immediate rematch, I'm sick of them. It ties up belts and stalls the flow of weight classes. It's a damn shame he lost the fight, but his stock definitely should have gone up a after that so why not get another win or two and get even more momentum, and make some more money in the mean time? Obviously Lawler is already a veteran but another fight or two worth of experience couldn't hurt going into his next title shot Phone Post 3.0

Johny did what he had to do to win the fight. As cheap as some/all of the Robbie fans may have thought the takedown was, it was what Johny felt necessary to take the final round. The one thing I admire about Robbie right now, is the fact that he has made no excuses and has not spoken ill of Johny's strategy. Not sure how anyone can not like him at this point in his career.

lawler , how can you not love that guy

true fighter in every sense

and he is perfectly spot on.....he would ahve won that fight if he was more aggressive...of course he was respecting johnys power......but it was clear that lawler was able to roll with big rigs shots (amazingly technical) and he was able to fend off the takedown rather well

he had room for some of that vintage robbie lawler crazy flying knee here and there as well....leg kicks also

i htink robbie would take the rematch

First, Robbie won the fight, imo. Both fighters threw about the same number of shots in rd 1, yet Robbie clearly landed the harder blows. I really don't understand why so many gave that round to Johny. I also think the rounds Robbie clearly won (3 & 4) he won decisively, compared to the rounds Hendricks won, which were less impressive.

That said, Robbie did too much to give the fight away. As he now points out, he needed to be throwing body shots and kicks. He also slid into the habit of being purely defensive at times (which was actually a pleasure to watch from a technical standpoint, but unhelpful in scoring points). If he would've been a bit more offensive, and most especially if he would have established a jab, I don't think the fight would have even been close.

When you think about it, it's quite amazing. Robbie beat the best WW throwing nothing but head strikes with his hands. It doesn't get more one-dimensional, yet he still beat the hell out of Hendricks. If he fought as well rounded of a fight as Johny did, it would have been complete domination. Robbie could be one of the most elite strikers in all of MMA if he simply added some variety to his game. His potential is scary. And remember, although he has been around forever, he's only 31.

DanTheWolfman - I said it to my girl when we watched, I thought he won round 2 but judges would give it to Johny. I thought so again when I rewatched it last night.

Understanding clean hits vs rolled off shots.
Sounds like she understands Robbie and your lifestyle Phone Post 3.0

I have never seen two fighters stand so close together and trade power in the MMA. That fight was GREAT!!!!

Both guys have knockout power and solid chins. One of the best title fights ever.

He should have but his cardio said no.