- LE STEPS DOWN; SHIELDS VS. MILLER FOR 185 BELT

mmaweekly.com

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker Thursday confirmed to MMAWeekly.com that his middleweight champion, Cung Le, has booked another major motion picture role and will relinquish his belt.

Jake Shields and Jason “Mayhem” Miller will now vie for the undisputed title under the eye of CBS when the two meet at the promotion’s network debut Nov. 7 at location to be announced early next week. A report on ESPN.com says the Sears Center Arena in Chicago is under intense consideration, citing sources close to the situation. The telecast will air live from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. ET. Coker was unaware whether the broadcast would be tape delayed to other parts of the country.

“I had a conversation with Cung and he has a lot of respect for Jake and Jason, and he’s got another movie coming up, so he’s asked me if he could step down, which we’re going to honor his request,” said Coker. “By no means does that mean he’s going to be retired, but he’s going to be unavailable for the next two months.”

Coker said he hoped to book the newly minted movie star again after his filming obligations are completed, though nothing was confirmed.

“With Cung, every six weeks we’ll be checking back with him,” he continued. “Now that he’s not going to be our title holder, we’ll put him in some big super fights and continue his MMA career, but not have the pressure of defending his belt when he has movie opportunities.”

Miller and Shields were expected to face off in October, but the bout, and event, never materialized. Both pointed the finger at one another for the delay. Miller on Thursday confirmed the fight via his official Twitter account, stating, “I duck NO ONE.”

Shields was unavailable for comment, but his manager/father, Jack Shields, said “we’re just pleased it’s happening. We’re happy to be back with CBS. With both of them doing the show, I’m sure it will create a lot of interest, and we’re really happy to be on the card with Fedor.”

Miller (29-6-1) hosts the MTV reality show “Bully Beatdown,” on which Shields has made multiple appearances. He last fought in late May, where an inadvertent illegal knee he threw in a middleweight title bid against Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza forced a no contest stoppage.

Shields (28-4), a former EliteXC welterweight champion, defeated former EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler in early June, stepping up from welterweight to a contest limited to 182 pounds in Strikeforce’s second major card televised by Showtime Networks.

gives up belt........about god damn time.......... one and a half years ........... no defending of his belt........... crazy......

Insanity!

Step up Overeem...

should be a very good fight

Nice. Although if they have Jacare, he should get the shot first having already beaten Mayhem.

And yeah, they need to strip Overeem.

Good fight but would rather see Jacare vs Shields

Heh, big shocker.

I'm really not surprised, about time they stripped his belt.

Damn, mayhem vs shields is a good match up, I like both but i hope that shields takes this!

I agree with ya Bluedream, jacare shields would be sick as well!

Shields via having the greatest corner man alive(OMA tm)

yesssssssssssss

he's gonna make
FIGHTING 2: STILL FIGHTING
THE DON FRYE STORY

lol @  "major motion picture"

Shields vs. Mayhem is a great matchup. Looking forward to it.

About fucking time.

now its time for Overeem to step up and fight, or get stripped as well

so if Shields gets the belt, does Nick D go back down to 170 for a title shot? they wont fight will they?

diaz should be on this card damnit...and since i saw matt lindland vs tba earlier i think thats who it should be