Leather workers/Bladesmiths, recommend a sheath?

I recently acquired an 1183 KA-BAR that I've been restoring. She's a beauty and I need a sheath. I haven't been able to find an original.

Any recommendations? The closed dimensions are 5.25" long, 1.25" wide, and .5" thick.

Leather only.

Thank you in advance.

1 Like

For your troubles.

Olomana_ili on Instagram is who you want to work with, he's an OGer and an amazing leather worker. Dude is super skilled. 

2 Likes
Upperdog - I recently acquired an 1183 KA-BAR that I've been restoring. She's a beauty and I need a sheath. I haven't been able to find an original.

Any recommendations? The closed dimensions are 5.25" long, 1.25" wide, and .5" thick.

Leather only.

Thank you in advance.

Buy the closest next size up kit from Tandy, if the exact size is not available.

Cut to fit if necessary.

Customize and or dye as you like.

Have sewn together many of these. They work fine.

Try to email them at info@ka-bar.com

ABCTT_sakurabas ear -

Olomana_ili on Instagram is who you want to work with, he's an OGer and an amazing leather worker. Dude is super skilled. 

This. Thanks for reminding me, I need to contact him about my Bowie 

Just saw pic.

Close blade and put in pocket?

ABCTT_sakurabas ear - 

If you can't sew together a kit...you probably shouldn't be handling sharp objects.

These are super simple to make, even from scratch.

Apologies in advance for the side-track.

I find it fascinating at how differently folks grow up in different parts of the country.

When I was young I took a leather working class each year all thru boy scouts, as did every other kid around here. Like at about 8-16 years of age. I am guessing that stuff like that is not so typical any more.

All of this kind of stuff is fun and easy, if you just put some time into it.
It is also much more rewarding than paying someone to do it.

Yes you can buy a hundred or so different tools and fancy it up, and that can indeed take much skill. But how many want a small sheath that "busy"?

Belts, and even more so saddles, is what I reserve the fancy tooling for.

Dryfly - Just saw pic.

No,from belt strap.

Dryfly - 
Upperdog - I recently acquired an 1183 KA-BAR that I've been restoring. She's a beauty and I need a sheath. I haven't been able to find an original.

Leather only.

Thank you in advance.

Buy the closest next size up kit from Tandy, if the exact size is not available.

Cut to fit if necessary.

I took a leathercraft class in highschool and loved it. I more than likely will go this route. Thank you.

Upperdog - 
Dryfly - Just saw pic.

No,from belt strap.

Must be that I am slow.

No clue what that sentence actually means.

Still, you can fashion a leather case for it easily.

I am bored. Here is an offer...tell me exactly what you want and the exact dimensions, color, ect.

I will make it within the next couple days and send it to you.

Total cost to you. Zero. If you don't like it...chuck it in the trash.

Let me know.

ABCTT_sakurabas ear - 

I want to emboss a grizzly with trees onnit. Can he do that?

Upperdog - 
Dryfly - 

Leather only.

Thank you in advance.

Cut to fit if necessary.

I took a leathercraft class in highschool and loved it. I more than likely will go this route. Thank you.

Do it. Willing to bet you at least kinda enjoy it.

And it will be far more valuable to you than if you just bought it.

Or I will do it for you, either way.

Example of stamp with bear from Tandy. $2.00

There are several choices from this to more detailed head only.

Tree stamp example. $ 2.00

can you sew this? then maybe you should shut your fucking yap in case OP wanted something better than a double ply kerchief.

Upperdog -
ABCTT_sakurabas ear - 

I want to emboss a grizzly with trees onnit. Can he do that?

He can do pretty much anything. 

ABCTT_sakurabas ear - 

can you sew this? then maybe you should shut your fucking yap in case OP wanted something better than a double ply kerchief.

Fuck off big mouth.

And to your question...

I have built entire saddles from scratch that had far more detail than this sheath, which only has a couple extra pieces of leather sewn on, and zero tooling.

Just because you have no skills doesn't mean we all don't.

Dryfly -
ABCTT_sakurabas ear - 

Fuck off big mouth.

And to your question...

I have built entire saddles from scratch that had far more detail than this sheath, which only has a couple extra pieces of leather sewn on, and zero tooling.

Just because you have no skills doesn't mean we all don't.

Good for you you curmudgeonly asshole. I'll bet you're the best at everything and have no problem letting everyone know. We get it you're old as fuck and simply the best. Good on you fella.