Leg Submissions: what's legal?

How does one explain which lower body submissions (leg locks, heel hooks etc) are allowed or not for the various BJJ divisions?

At the recent Pan Pacs I recall there were four rule-sets used for various divisions:

Children U8, U10 and U12 no submissions whatsoever.

Children U16, Men Woman and Masters White and Blue Belts only upper body submissions (arm, wrist and shoulder).

Then I get confused...

Men, Women and Masters Purple and Brown Belts - upper body subs + knee and ankle hyper extensions?

Men, Women and Masters Black Belts - as per Purple and Browns and ?????

Can anyone help me out here?

In the CBJJ rules,
Purples can use straight ankle locks.
Browns can use straight ankles locks and kneebars.
Blacks can use straight ankles locks, kneebars and toe-holds.

No heel hooks.
No knee wrench/calf slicers.

What differentiates a Toe-Hold differ from an Ankle Lock?

Mostly the grips. But if you do a toe-hold properly, it's just as bad as a heel-hook and can damage the knee.

"What differentiates a Toe-Hold differ from an Ankle Lock? "

The way I see it a toe hold is a rotational ankle lock. A straight ankle lock is a lot like an achilles, except lower, on the ankle.

Don't know, but I think their safe enough. Personally I would let blue's do all leg locks.

JJKid: does "all leg locks" include rotational stuff on the ankle as well?

CBJJ state the following "Restictions" for Adult and Senior Blue and Purples:

MATA LEO WITH FOOT

SLAM FROM THE GUARD

LEG LOCKS

CERVICAL

BICEPS LOCK

CALF LOCK

SCISSORS TAKEDOWN

HEEL HOOK

Whilst Brown and Black allows the above with the exception of:

SLAM FROM THE GUARD

CERVICAL LOCK

SCISSORS TAKEDOWN

HEEL HOOK

Yes, all leg locks includes rotational leg locks too.

I know heel hooks are scary, but a blue belt level here in Oz is a pretty decent level so I believe they should be familiar with them.

Those CBJJ rules look pretty tame.

There is no mention in there of spine locks.

CERVICAL = "relating to or associated with the neck" which isn't that far removed from the spine. Also it is quite likely that some of the clarity was lost went translated to English.

"I know heel hooks are scary, but a blue belt level here in Oz is a pretty decent level so I believe they should be familiar with them."

It is one thing to be familiar with a technique but arguable whether such techniques should be included in a competitive environment. I for one have previously refused to compete in competitions that have permitted such techniques.

I'm entitled to change my mind right? On further deliberation I would remove heel hooks for the blues but leave in figure four ankle locks.