Leon Blasts ‘Little Rat’ Masvidal

Leon Edwards is already planning his first title defense after he wins the UFC welterweight title, and he wants it to be against an old foe: Jorge Masvidal.

“I thought, you little p****,” Edwards told Ariel Helwani on The MMA Hour when discussing Masvidal pulling out of their planned fight for UFC 269. “I don’t know that he would have done it anyway. I have a feeling he wouldn’t have done it. I don’t think he wants to fight. I’ve always said that he doesn’t want to fight me. Honestly, I would have loved for that fight to happen.

“When I win the belt, I’ll give him the title shot. That would be a fantastic fight in the U.K. Bring it back to The O2 where it happened, for the title. That’s what I want to do after this. … I’ll offer it to him. I’ll offer it to him if it happens in the U.K., for sure. My dream scenario would be to bring him back to London and headline London. I’ve never gotten the opportunity to headline London. First I was supposed to do it with [Tyron] Woodley, then that got cancelled because of COVID. So I’ve always wanted to come back home and do it.”
Edwards’ beef with Masvidal dates back to UFC London in 2019 when the two had a now infamous run-in backstage where Masvidal attacked Edwards, hitting him with “a three piece with the soda.” Afterward, Edwards repeatedly courted a fight with Masvidal to no avail as Masvidal focused on bigger opportunities, winning the ‘BMF’ title and challenging welterweight champion Kamaru Usman twice.

Recently, though, Masvidal found himself in a spot of trouble when he allegedly attacked rival Colby Covington outside a restaurant in Miami following their fight at UFC 272. The alleged attack, Edwards says, is proof of what he’s been saying about Masvidal all along.
“That boy’s a little rat,” Edwards said. “Colby shouldn’t have snitched, but Masvidal, he’s like a little rat. He’s like a sneaky, run up behind you, throw a shot, and ducks off. He’s a weirdo. A weird, weird man.”

A title defense against Masvidal would undoubtedly be a big payday for Edwards, but there are some impediments to his dream scenario. “Rocky” will challenge champion Kamaru Usman on Aug. 20 at UFC 278 in Salt Lake City, but even if he does win the title, given Usman’s reign of dominance and previous win over Edwards, a trilogy bout is a near certainty.

Even Edwards admits that will probably come first, but he still holds out hope for his grudge match.

“I believe that’s going to happen as well, but I’d love to have the Masvidal fight,” Edwards said. “I think that would be a great [fight] and a great backstory to it, but I think that’s going to happen. I’ll beat [Usman] in August and they’ll want a rematch at the end of the year, December-ish. But we’ll see what’s going to happen.”

UFC welterweight contender Leon Edwards is hoping to bring his rivalry with Jorge Masvidal full circle if he can dethrone Kamaru Usman in August.

After a long wait, Edwards finally has his first shot at UFC gold booked, something the Englishman and many others believe has been a long time coming. Off the back of a 10-fight unbeaten streak, Edwards will become the fourth man to attempt to dethrone longtime reigning champ Usman.

Having recovered from hand surgery earlier this year, “The Nigerian Nightmare” will
Despite falling short against Usman back in 2015, “Rocky” believes that he’s evolved enough and has developed all the tools required to end the lengthy reign of a man believed by some to be the welterweight GOAT.

With that confidence in mind, Edwards already has his sights set on a post-Usman title defense, and it’s a name that he’s very familiar with.

Edwards Targets Full Circle In Masvidal Rivalry

Edwards has been engaged in a bitter rivalry with former two-time title challenger Masvidal ever since they came to blows backstage at The O2 arena in 2019. After “Gamebred” delivered his now infamous “three piece and a soda,” it was expected that the pair would bring their feud to the cage.

While that was finally set to happen last December at UFC 269, Masvidal was forced out due to injury. And despite the Miami native returning with a loss at the hands of Colby Covington, Edwards still holds hopes of bring a fight with the ‘BMF’ titleholder back together.

During a recent appearance on The MMA Hour, Edwards revealed that the perfect scenario would be for him to win the belt and take it back home for a UK title defense. And what better way to culminate his rivalry with Masvidal than at The O2, where it all began.

“I’ve always said that he doesn’t want to fight me. I’d have loved for that fight to happen (at UFC 269),” said Edwards.

“When I win the belt — I was saying the other day, when I win the belt, I’ll give him the title shot. That’d be a fantastic fight in the UK. We’ll bring it back to The O2, where it happened, for the title. That’s what I wanna do next after this… Imagine.

“When I win, my dream scenario would be to bring it back to London and to headline London. I’ve never had the opportunity to headline London,” added Edwards. “First, I was meant to do it against Tyron Woodley, then that got canceled ’cause of COVID. So, I want to come back home and do it.”

But given Usman’s dominance since 2019, Edwards is realistic. He expects that “The Nigerian Nightmare” would be granted an immediate rematch should he be left title-less following UFC 278.

“I believe that (an immediate Usman rematch) is what will happen as well. But I’d love to have the Masvidal fight,” said Edwards. “I think that’d be great and has a great backstory to it. But I think (Usman trilogy) will happen. I’ll beat him in August and then we’ll probably rematch in like, end of the year, December-ish.”

Should Edwards record consecutive triumphs over Usman, as well as Masvidal rebounding against the likes of Stephen Thompson and Gilbert Burns, the stage could become set for the bitter foes to go toe to toe in England’s capita