Lesnar's problem

Simply put, Brock Lesnar can't fight. He is a physically gifted athlete whose size, speed and strength are something to be marveled at, but, in the most basic sense of the word, he doesn't know how to fight. Look at how he reacts to getting hit. He has no idea what to do. His response is to run away and/or curl up into a ball.

He can throw a decent punch, but that isn't the same as fighting. He's so big and strong that if he hits you he sends you flying across the cage (Herring) or drops you with a glancing blow (Couture), but that is more a testament to his athleticism than it is his fighting ability. The irony is that he actually appears to have a decent chin. He absorbed a lot of bombs from Carwin and Cain, both of whom knocked out guys by landing less, but at the end of the day his reaction to getting hit says that he doesn't want to be in a fight.

I thought after he escaped Carwin he would have addressed this issue in training camp - spent time with a boxing coach, learn how to feint, how to close the distance or hold and use his wrestling when he gets tagged. If he did, he abandoned that and once again reverted to his almost comical strategy of covering up and waiting for the bell to ring.

The fact that he achieved as much as he has in MMA without the fundamental ability to roll with a punch is just another testament to the caliber of athlete that he is and effectiveness of a strong wrestling base. But imagine the success other elite wrestlers in MMA would have if they reacted the way Brock does when hit. Could you see Randy, Hendo, or Koscheck achieving what Brock has achieved if they were completely clueless in that regard?

I totally agree well written Sir.
I was thinking the same thing.He needs to get with a boxer and spare on his feet and pick up a boxing trainer.Yes Cain hits hard but Brock was really not handling being hit with weak shit to.

It looked like Brock spent all camp hitting pads and not sparring with someone who punches back. It also looked like he never trained a day on his open guard. A double leg can only get you so far. Im looking foward to watching Mir and Carwin avenge their losses now

He just needs more training and cage time.

When I saw Primetime I thought to myself "Why is Lesnar working on taking Barry down?" when Lesnar should have been sparring full time with him.

Brock needs to seriously stop running like a damn fool and Learn to clinch or tie a guy up when he starts getting lit up. Phone Post

That's part of the problem of "flying in" people to train with you. There is a tendency to work on what you WANT to work on as opposed to what you NEED to work on.

It's not like the instructor can kick Brock out of his own gym/house if Brock isn't taking to his training well enough.

Seems he has a bit of 'Casey at the Bat' syndrome. He's so big and tough that it masks the fact that he's not an especially good fighter, skill-wise. Yes, he has some technique, but those attributes of sheer size and strength can only take you so far. 

Brock may have worked on everything suggested here.
It's less than 4 months between fights so there wasn't going to be a huge amount of improvement in that time.

Fillups422 - When I saw Primetime I thought to myself "Why is Lesnar working on taking Barry down?" when Lesnar should have been sparring full time with him.

Maybe his coach brought Barry in to work on taking down a heavy striker - not box with him.

I think Brock needs to go learn some greco and dirty boxing from randy couture and stop trying to learn something he's terrible at. He could be an absolute beast in the clinch and never really need to learn much conventional boxing.

dont agree

How can he "not fight" when he beat Heath Herring, Shane Carwin, Frank Mir etc.   All who I assume you believe "can fight".

Brock got TKO'd...Noguiera got KO'd by Cain.  Can Nogueira "not fight"?

MMAReview -  How can he "not fight" when he beat...Shane Carwin

This past Saturday night was proof positive that Shane Carwin beat Shane Carwin.

Lol of course he doesn't know how to fight. I mean he was ONLY the heavyweight champion of the UFC. Only pussies have that title Phone Post

MMAReview -  How can he "not fight" when he beat Heath Herring, Shane Carwin, Frank Mir etc.   All who I assume you believe "can fight".

Brock got TKO'd...Noguiera got KO'd by Cain.  Can Nogueira "not fight"?<br type="_moz" />

The point I was trying to make was that, Brock, with his superior size and athleticism was able to defeat those guys without really knowing how to fight, At the very least not knowing how to take a punch, how to avoid a punch, how to respond to getting hit and how to close the distance so you don't get he doesn't get hit again, all of which are CRUCIAL to knowing how to fight. Through his 7 pro fights, Brock Lesnar has not shown the ability to do those things.

Nogueria was knocked out. Brock was not knocked out, he was fully conscious when the fight was stopped, showing that he actually has a pretty solid chin.

The other thing which I think helps Brock tremendously is that he is a very difficult opponent to simulate in training. It's not like you can go bring in a 280lb man who moves the way he does.

ThePeople is spot on.  And that's why when Brock and others refer to him just barely having scratched the surface, they're spot on.  Just imagine when he learns how to fight, (relatively speaking).  Right now Brock is going on a dominating wrestling back ground and physical superiority.  If he actually becomes a "fighter" he will be the GOAT no doubt.  

Excellent post OP. Well written. Phone Post

TTT