Lessons from PRIDE

Judging a fight as a whole rather than round by round...

Elaborate. Which fight(s) are you referring to? BTW, congratulations on your win, bro!

How can you drink your own piss and have any pride ? Teach us that lesson.

• Flips on Metalcore CD and moshes *

Example: UFC 70 - Check Kongo vs. A. Silva

Kongo won by majority decision.

If you were a judge who favored wrestling you might have given the first two rounds to Silva based on his successful takedowns. For someone judging the fight as a whole, rather than round by round, Kongo's dominance in the third round wins him the fight.

Kongo also DOMINATED the ground with his UNPASSABLE half guard. His half guard was soooo good Silva wasnt able to strike

I KNEW there was a reason I liked you Luke!

ttt for a fighter who actually gives a shit about the integrity of the sport!!!

What's that got to do with integrity?

It was SO painful to see some nice double-legs to side control NOT being followed up with more... I've seen Silva work SO much better JJ b4 as well.

Hi Luke, are you saying that you were surprised by the decision in the Kongo fight?

Also, just wondering you there has been any discussion about who Matt will bring to TUF 6 as his "assistant" coaches.

"What's that got to do with integrity?

It was SO painful to see some nice double-legs to side control NOT being followed up with more... I've seen Silva work SO much better JJ b4 as well. "

Whole fight scoring is integral to Vale Tudo and MMA. The 10 point must system is a dinosaur that was FORCED on MMA by boxing bureaucrats who don't have a fucking clue.

i was annoyed with it b/c i picked silva to win via unanimous decision

round 1 was scored in favor of silva

and round 2 was a carbon copy, but it was scored in favor of kongo

BS

If that had been Hughes or Couture or Ortiz who pulled that, it would've gone the other way.

Not that I disagree with Kongo winning, but by UFC's standards and rules I would've thought Silva won due to takedowns and controlling the fight (albeit lame and boring).

"Not that I disagree with Kongo winning, but by UFC's standards and rules I would've thought Silva won due to takedowns and controlling the fight (albeit lame and boring)."

This is why MMA is Dead (not picking on you dude just the nature of the statement)

Altofsky: stop stalking me dude. we are having an adult conversation on this thread. Your childish questions are not welcome. please go away.

"If that had been Hughes or Couture or Ortiz who pulled that, it would've gone the other way. "

Yep... That's what I fear here as well...

I spent much time ridiculing Pride's wofeully inadequate consistency in regard to scoring.. Hope UFC don't fall into this trap as well.

"wofeully inadequate consistency in regard to scoring"

Lets not forget the woefully inadiquate execution of basic rules of late: fence grabbing (Arlovski/PDP, Werdum/Arlovski) both of these fights had a ton of it and neither time did the offender even get a warning. Hell, Kenny did it for 4 rounds against Sherk before Mazagati finally told him to stop. And what about the stand ups. I don't want to pick on Matt Hughes but his fight with Lytle was a gift as far as the amount of time that Hughes was able to lay and control. Again, last night with Werdum on his back, beggin AA to come to the ground, Herb waited almost a full 30 seconds to stand Werdum back up when it was clear that Arlovski wasn't going to do anything close to entering his guard. Then not 20 minutes later we have Gonzaga stood up for pummeling Mirko for almost 5 minutes with solid and consistent ground and pound. I know refs and judges can make bad calls, they're only human but you can't change your enforcement of the rules from event to event.

"BJ obviously was the better fighter that day, he dominated the first round, then GSP took him down and didn't do any damage the 2nd/3rd"

Totally. It was sadly a watershed fight for UFC in going down the path of supporting what he was doing.. And after Gonzaga was stood up! I mean, jesus Christ.

TheBlix.. Glad you brought that up.

I was absolutely disgusted with Arlovski v PDP. Those fence grabs absolutely changed the fight, god it was horrible, yet fans on here were like "would have happened anyway"..

I even say Kongo with his hands on the fence for periods there. You wont find a louder supporter than me on the inconsistencies.