Lets hear training opinions

First off...I have learned more in the past 6 months than I did the last ten years of training. The trouble is putting it all together.

Ok now, do me a favor and read this carefully, and comment on my ideas and maybe give me some news ones.

Background...I've had 5 pro fights on decent sized shows im 4-1...Started out 6'4 190 and now weigh 260 and still look thin.

I used to think weight training was everything, now Im doubting that....but I do think strength that doesnt fade fast is very important.

I think developing a strong explosive core is number one on my list of non skill related training. I do very extensive core training, mostly things from the books Core performance and the Complete book of core training.

I think u need to spend as much time sparring, grappling and working technique as possible.

I have started to do interval training but it still doesnt kill me like hitting thai pads.

Also I was told along with sprints, to start running 3-5 miles a day. Now I have issues with that. For one, everyone says running is useless and aerobic and kill power....but I think almost every good fighter does it...and it doesnt feel very aerobic to me....its not like I can carry on a conversation....so I dont know if its good or not.

My only other doubt is about overtraining. Should I life and or do running on days I train jiu-jitsu?

Typically I will train muay thai and bjj three times a week, lift twice, and do core and energy development twice a week..

My last thought is a new one forme...I think you need to change your workouts so much that sticking to a program to me now is a counter productive concept...I think you need to be committed to challenging yourself in new and different ways so you continue to improve.

ok enough said.

"I have started to do interval training but it still doesnt kill me like hitting thai pads."

what are you interval training on?

using equipment like rowers and Versaclimbers should make it fairly hard.

speed rope sprints seem to work me pretty good.

throw in some burpees during part of the rests on intervals if you want to add intensity. hard to do on some machines.

" For one, everyone says running is useless and aerobic and kill power....but I think almost every good fighter does it...and it doesnt feel very aerobic to me....its not like I can carry on a conversation....so I dont know if its good or not."

running fast probably isn't useless.

you use a mix of aerobic and anaerobic systems in most combat sports.

most combat sports are heavily biased toward anaerobic systems, but still require aerobic systems.

running fast improves your anaerobic systems somewhat, although it's mostly aerobic.

you can also do aerobic running when you can't do anaerobic work, or as more recovery-type cardio.

I think one thing it also does is get you using your feet to move around. kind of like jump rope for boxers, but less pronounced. just a theory though.

I don't know if I would do 5 miles a day though, but see what works for you. I ain't a pro.

you can also mix in very short 95-100% effort sprints to the long distance running.

"what are you interval training on?"
I live in Oklahoma dude....eplitical trainers are the most advance thing here.

I wish I could find some ropes to climb.

Thanks for your input.

"I live in Oklahoma dude....eplitical trainers are the most advance thing here."

well fuck, Oklahoma City or Tulsa should have some fucking Concept2 rowers somewhere. Those are way cheaper than Versaclimbers.

can you get into a university gym maybe? my college has Concept2 rowers, and I'm deep in the Bible Belt myself.

I actually do my lifting and interval stuff at a university. I think I just need to ratchet it up a notch or do more sprinting.

Im not saying the interval training doesnt get me tired, cause it does. But not nearly the pukey anaerobic feeling of hour and a half thai pad session....I dont think anythings broke, i was just saying how hard thai pads can be.

ummm ....... are you still growing ????? keep eating your vegetables big boy ( and smokeing da crack) . if it aint broke dont fix it but there is always room for jello or is it improvement or is it more crack ???? if your intervalal sessions arnt taxing you do them again or maybe try harder . and if thai pads are beating you up well just keep doing them and if you have time why not hit the roads and run forrest run if your time is short or you want to improve run faster dammit ( try this elipta rider boy ... use one of them fancy wrist watches and run as far one way as you can in say 6 or ten minutes then run back the six or ten minutes as fast and hard as you can and try to reach or go further each time you are running ummmm push yourself fat boy ... try beating on a tire with a huge pry bay / hammer for a half hour ummmmm go do some more farm work withoput resting too much . run run sparr run run sparr . peace .

"I have started to do interval training but it still doesnt kill me like hitting thai pads."

Keep hitting the thai pads. There is nothing magical about doing intervals on a versaclimber or concept 2 rower... it's just plain old fashioned hard work. So is shadowboxing, mitt and bagwork.

If you have a good mitt holder who forces you to push the pace, thai pads are better than interval training because it builds skill and cardio at the same time, allowing you to maximize your recovery.

That is a long time. You probably won't fight for an hour and a half straight so it might be better to shorten the thai pad session, but increase the intensity.

Try to simulate an insanely fast-paced fight.

Running for aerobic endurance is fine if you're not leading up to a fight. Just think of it as 'training for your training'. While fights are mostly anaerobic, normal training is mainly aerobic focusing on skills. Makes sense to build up aerobic endurance so you can keep practising technique in class for longer. Throw in a few sprints every now and then to replicate inclass training.

As you get towards fighting shape, you do want to focus on more anaerobic endurance.

I wouldn't run 3-5 miles evey day though!

There isn't much need to train over an hour. Wizzle is correct, at some point it gets counter-productive.

You cannot go wrong if you just follow your ABCs.

All Bench and Curls.

lol at all bench and curls

Im gonna try some of the suggestions and let you know how it works.

let me clarify hour and a half, thats how long the training in but im holding pads half of that time.

And the next guy that calls me fat!!! lol

Quality is more important than quantity

You gained 70 pounds?! It couldn't be more than 20 lbs of muscle. You get fat?

Im sure some was fat....i was really skinny...about 160lbs at 17years old. Im very lanky and long so I dont look 260ish. I would guess im at about 12% bf. I got long legs and packed alot of weight on them and the glute area.

Ryan,
break it down to the fight sced.
Phase 1 strength and hypertrophy if needed
4-6 weeks depending on the fight

Phase 2 - explosive speed and power
less reps more explosive movements
agility ladder work, power cleans, snatches etc.
4-6 weeks

phase 3- metabolic conditioning( outlast the MOFO)

have more gas in the tank at the end than the other guy.

more sports specific drills that mimic the fight.
ie. 3 rounds for 5 minutes
circuits should be 6-7 minutes long and striving to cut the rest time back.

This phase should be worst than the fight itself so the fight feels easy. ( I know it's not but there's some physcology here)

In my humble opinion if you feel like you are overtraining than you are. I always tell my athletes to take one day minimum off. Rest and recovery is as important if not more sometimes than the workouts.

Although 70% of the energy is estimated from the anaerobic system there is still the other 30%. I think a base aerobic fitness level is important because the systems compliment each other. This does not mean I that you should be a marathon runner.

I generally tell my guys if they have the time.MWF strength, then pm MMA, T TH SA aerobic conditioning
MMA pm and sunday OFF.

Hope this helps.
All the best.
Dr. Evil

Thanks Dr Evil

by the way good choice on the books as well. Kudos. Dr. Evil