Let's reclaim hip hop

1 Like
1 Like
3 Likes

I used to think Jr Writer was the worst of the diplomats… but he’s grown on me.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Are whites good at rap again? Been awhile since 8mile

No. Not really. Haven’t heard a good white rapper ever, besides em

Esoteric (in the above 2 czarface tracks) is pretty solid.

I also like El-P (although like his beats more) some Aesop Rock, some Action Bronson and some Evidence.

Those dudes have all been around a while though. Not sure about most new rappers regardless of race… on account of being old.

Ill Bill amd Vinnie Paz and some others get mentioned on the OG from time to time, never really got into them.

1 Like

Yeah pretty much what you said. Action, Aesop, Bill and Vinnie are the first that come to mind. When Mac Miller died everyone on social media acted like they knew he was some sort of genius but in reality he was very underrated by both critics and fans while he was alive. He’s one of my all time favorites.

Logic is as white as he black so I’ll throw him in there. $uicideboy$. Yelawolf and Lil Wyte although I never got into those two. Can’t really think of any others right now.

Beastie Boys are a given

1 Like

Good track with Logic

Royce is amazing though

1 Like

Good track with mac miller

1 Like

Yes I’m Phryme mark, what of it?!

1 Like

I listen to quite a bit of Millyz.

Dude Royce is in that upper echelon. He has always had the bars but I couldn’t really get into his albums, and felt he was sort of scattered in terms of musical direction. When Book of Ryan came out is when I started really enjoying his shit, and The Allegory was even better IMO.

To me he was always that dude that was lyrically top tier but struggled when it came to making songs. He’s refined that over the years and his lyricism has improved a ton. He is able to tell complete stories over the course of a verse or song without getting off track.

I always felt like he tried to emulate Eminem too much and that’s why he rapped that way but he made it his own. He’s top five living right now IMO.

1 Like

The Book of Ryan was great

1 Like

With that being said, Logic sort of falls into the former category I referenced. He has bars for days and has the flow that slides right in the pocket of any beat, smooth and effortless.

Don’t get me wrong I do like some rappers that are just lyricists but Logic kind of gets repetitive to me. He kills a lot of verses but his songs are rarely great or memorable. I have never connected with one of his songs emotionally. They just sort of blend in with each other.

Not to say I never listen to him because I do but there’s a lot of wasted potential there. And he’s overrated by the mainstream because his bars are better than most mainstream rappers.

1 Like
1 Like