Lets talk baseball

After a discussion I had from the documentary "Long Gone Summer", I was trying to explain my position on the steroid era.

In doing so, I came up with a stat, but would like to know if I can find another stat or source for what I'm looking for.

18 players hit 50 or more home runs from 1869 - 1991. In one hundred and twenty two years, 18 times was 50 or more accomplished. 

25 times since 1991 to 2012 players have hit 50 or more home runs.

One thing is FOR CERTAIN, around the "steroid era", ball player's started to learn how to recover their bodies better to endure the long 162 game seasons. 

How much was steroid based?

How much is it the advancement of technology in sports health?

And the stat I'm interested in finding, is home runs hit by mid season, year by year.  

1 Like

The whole “steroids mostly just help you recover” is a smokescreen. Of course they do, but that is not their primary effect on athletic performance. Size, speed, strength are their primary effects. 

1 Like

Higher avg fastball velocity?

1 Like

Sub

1 Like

1 Like

Juiced balls

1 Like

I think it had to do with the balls too. They found that the 1994 balls bounce much higher than other seasons. Even in the short strike season a lot of players were hitting home runs more. Also when guys like Brady Anderson comes out jacked up looking and hits 50 homers. It wasn’t all roids but it helped a little. 

1 Like

Bump

1 Like

I don't think the number of home runs these days is from juicing.

Hitter's approach at the plate has changed. 

You see a lot more swinging for the fences these days and strikeouts don't seem to have the same stigma they used to

1 Like

PatK - 

I don't think the number of home runs these days is from juicing.

Hitter's approach at the plate has changed. 

You see a lot more swinging for the fences these days and strikeouts don't seem to have the same stigma they used to

Are you suggesting with the increase of home runs there's a noticeable increase in strike outs?
I haven't researched that.

1 Like

So I started playing MVP 2005 Baseball.  I heard it's not just the best baseball game ever made but arguably the best sports game ever made. 

I like to edit the rosters and throw in legendary players and in editing the rosters, I discovered a rookie Miguel Cabrera. 

I edited him to make him better with 5 star potential, but check this out....

In researching him, I discovered he's a triple crown winner.  Knowing that when I research other historic legendary players, I don't see "Triple Crown" winners next to a lot, so I decided to research the triple crown winners.

Notice every time someone won, it was 3 years prior to the other guy, sometimes 7, sometimes 8 or 9, but never more than 10 years went by without someone winning a Triple Crown.  That is until 1967 when Carl Yastrzemski won the Triple Crown, FORTY FIVE YEARS came and went before Miguel Cabrera won the Triple Crown in 2012. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Crown_(baseball)

That's interesting isn't it?  Why do you think that is?  

Also in 1933 the reason two are listed is because one guy won it for the AL and the other guy won it for NL/MLB. 

2 Likes

D241 -

So I started playing MVP 2005 Baseball.  I heard it's not just the best baseball game ever made but arguably the best sports game ever made. 

I like to edit the rosters and throw in legendary players and in editing the rosters, I discovered a rookie Miguel Cabrera. 

In researching him, I discovered he's a triple crown winner.  Knowing that when I research other historic legendary players, I don't see "Triple Crown" winners next to a lot, so I decided to research the triple crown winners.

Notice every time someone won, it was 3 years prior to the other guy, sometimes 7, sometimes 8 or 9, but never more than 10 years went by without someone winning a Triple Crown.  That is until 1967 when Carl Yastrzemski won the Triple Crown, FORTY FIVE YEARS came and went before Miguel Cabrera won the Triple Crown in 2012. 

Also in 1933 the reason two are listed is because one guy won it for the AL and the other guy won it for NL/MLB. 

Miggy winning the triple crown is probably one of the biggest accomplishments across all sports in the last 25-30 years, and no one ever talks about it.

3 Likes

Love to see it!

3 Likes

Image may contain: 1 person, playing a sport and baseball

64 years ago, on July 25th, 1956 a baseball miracle took place before a sparse crowd at Forbes Field.
In his sophomore year with the Pittsburgh Pirates?, Roberto Clemente came to bat with the bases loaded, nobody out, and his team trailing the Chicago Cubs? 8-5 in the bottom of the ninth at Forbes Field. He faced pitcher Jim Brosnan.

As the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported:
"Brosnan made one pitch, high and inside. Clemente drove it against the light standard in left field. Jim King had backed up to make the catch but it was over his head. The ball bounced off the slanted side of the fencing and rolled along the cinder path to center field. Here came Hank Foiles, Bill Virdon and then Dick Cole, heading home and making it easily. Then came Clemente into third. Bobby Bragan had his hands up-stretched to hold up his outfielder. The relay was coming in from Solly Drake. But around third came Clemente and down the home path. He made it just in front of the relay from Ernie Banks. He slid, missed the plate, then reached back to rest his hand on the rubber with the ninth run in a 9-8 victory as the crowd of 12,431 went goofy with excitement."

Little did the crowd know but the play that ended the Pirates-Cubs game on July 25, 1956. was, in fact, the ONLY walk-off, inside-the-park grand slam in baseball history.

1 Like

Huggsbear - 
D241 -

Miggy winning the triple crown is probably one of the biggest accomplishments across all sports in the last 25-30 years, and no one ever talks about it.

In today's baseball analytics era, RBIs are meaningless. They believe it's a team stat resulting from other players being on base. And batting average isn't valued as much as on-base percentage. But home runs are absolutely valued.

So in today's age, the triple crown isn't thought of as such a hallowed achievement.

1 Like

Colby Covid19ington - 
Huggsbear - 
D241 -

In today's baseball analytics era, RBIs are meaningless. They believe it's a team stat resulting from other players being on base. And batting average isn't valued as much as on-base percentage. But home runs are absolutely valued.

So in today's age, the triple crown isn't thought of as such a hallowed achievement.

I'm not talking about "in today's age", I'm talking FORTY FIVE YEARS going by without any of the thousands of ball players achieving the feat of Triple Crown Winner. 

1 Like

2 Likes

D241 - 

I LOVED MVP baseball 05. it also might have one of the greatest soundtracks in gaming history.

if you haven't tried OOTP baseball, you should check it out. sounds right in your wheelhouse. it's a GM/Manager sim & a stats junkie/baseball historian's dream.

1 Like
Vegito Blue - 

"trying to maintain social distancing while still sending a message". good shit.

1 Like

what are good MLB games these days for my kids?

currently my son is playing MLB the Show on PS4 (i odnt know shit about video games)

and i honestly think it is a net positive for him, bc he plays in moderation

when he's not playing on the field, at least he is getting his mind into baseball by playing the game.

i really think it helped his fielding (2nd/short) and pitching as well ....he doesnt throw heat because he is small and we just moved up in distance this year

but he throws strikes and has a good changeup, working on a little slider

playing the game helps with his 9 year old "pitch selection"....he pitched a beautiful 2 shutout innings yesterday against a bunch of good hitters

4 strikeouts/swinging, making them whiff on a changeup or slider..it was awesome

1 Like